Philips 11.289Mhz crystal osc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Banned - Sockpuppet
Joined 2006
Below is an original Philips 11.289Mhz crystal osc. I extracted it from a late 1980s Philips CDP....
philips-11-289.jpg

It still works fine in a CDP, but I have no any means to measure it (spectrum analyzer, etc) in order to, say, compare it to a Laptech, CTS, Vanguard, etc.
Also, I don't know how it has aged over the past 3+ decades.

Please provide feedback on these concerns per your experience.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's not a crystal oscillator but just a crystal. It may have aged by a couple of ppm, but even if you have an absolute hearing, that will be too little to worry about. Compared to modern crystals, it probably has a lower impedance and a higher maximum drive level - which may or may not result in less phase noise, depending on what the oscillator circuit looks like.

How about in its native (stock) environment -- in the stock Philips CDP with the, e.g., SAA7210 acting as clock generator?

I know far too little about the SAA7210 to give you a definite answer, but the SAA7210 and this crystal were designed to work together, so chances are that the SAA7210 will work better with this crystal than with a more modern crystal that has a higher impedance and a lower maximum drive level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.