DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

It can simply be a second choice quality control genuine stock that are planed for garbadge ! putt one in a pair or a quad : no little economy if you're a merchand ! Commercial ethic is poor in China, they sells themselves contaminated milk for their babies, so a bad da chip, you joke, no problem, lol ;) . Such people waste the efforts of the others good vendors alas !

I received my pair in less than 15 days from a China shop but I didn't measured the chips yet ... I never tried though, maybe with Arta or Rew... not sure my Pre tracker pro soundcard fro E-Mu is good enough for such a job. While the 70 db noise floor on the thir harmonic posted should be detected if it's a bad chip as above !

That's why I asked the shop to avoid it. That's te only power that cunsumers have today.

well, if one buys anything like this from eBay/Ali it should be clear that there is NO quality control as such. and what kind of QC one can expect on second hand chips? that they are not dead at best. in fact I am pretty pleased I have 2 good ones now. and instead of QC hifi-szjxic offers "Gurantee exchange if it is fault." I have contacted them, let see.

I would be happy to see there are measurements of AD1862 from China linked to a particular supplier. There are none. so now I would say there is 50% chance to get good one from hifi-szjxic. who knows are there better suppliers?

If people are interested in a relatively low cost solution for an ultra low noise PSU may I suggest looking here.VRDN: bipolar regulator PCB for line level ckts: ±11V to ±20V @ 1.5A with "De-Noiser"

There are some other designs in the main thread including my own but Mark Johnson's is probably the most complete design.
D-Noizator: a magic active noise canceller to retrofit & upgrade any 317-based V.Reg.

The denoiser seems to be able to compete with the best low noise psu designs with nothing but generic low cost parts.

Here I found an old email from Analog Devices, as a confirmation that Rochester is the only authorized distributor of all AD obsolete/discontinued parts.

Attachments

• ad1865-obsolete.jpg
    ad1865-obsolete.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 622
well, if one buys anything like this from eBay/Ali it should be clear that there is NO quality control as such. and what kind of QC one can expect on second hand chips? that they are not dead at best. in fact I am pretty pleased I have 2 good ones now. and instead of QC hifi-szjxic offers "Gurantee exchange if it is fault." I have contacted them, let see.

I've lots of experience of buying from Taobao and all the vendors I've complained to about sub-spec parts have accepted them back. I agree there's no hope of QC on 'pulls'.

I would be happy to see there are measurements of AD1862 from China linked to a particular supplier. There are none. so now I would say there is 50% chance to get good one from hifi-szjxic. who knows are there better suppliers?

I very much doubt there are 'better suppliers' - all the suppliers on Taobao are rather hit-and-miss. In general they don't know much about the parts they're selling (this conclusion is based on asking them questions and getting almost no satisfactory replies). But they're cheap and so no reason to stop using them.

That's what I'm trying to suggest all the time

You and me both eh? :cool:

: Start cheap and if you will like it, there are no limits to further improvements :D

Sure, but there's cheap and there's cheap. AD1862 is expensive on Taobao compared to TDA1387. There's a ~46dB difference in the price. Now 1862 has 4 more bits to its credit but what about an array of 16 1387s controlled by a $1 CPU?:D

... AD1862 is expensive on Taobao compared to TDA1387. There's a ~46dB difference in the price. Now 1862 has 4 more bits to its credit but what about an array of 16 1387s controlled by a $1 CPU?:D

The price of AD1862 is compensated by it's simplicity, in which it sounds like "wau".

It will be difficult to control an array of 16 dacs by a CPU - all from scratch .. only that you already have something done :confused:

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Do please show us all how. Can't have too many DAC projects on here.:D

Hence the need to start from best chips... Well tda1387 is on the third step, not bad (second choice of Amr behind the TDA151A, because the Ad1682/PCM63 was hard to source...relaible stock I mean. Not Tabao, turn the wheel for the luck ! As Ebay as we saw ! throw the dices, the development can be good but not the heart : dac chip twilight zoned, lol.