DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

I would not say raspberry issue rather a software issue I am using roon and have three different raspberries (roon bridge) connected and have no pops while changing tracks. I cant remember to have had any pops at any point in years that I am using raspberries, but I have also never used moode mostly it was volumio and before Roon I used LMS.

The cause of the pops is usually due to clock rate changes. The most common solutions either mute the DAC (RPI hats and custom drivers with I2C control or mute signal output) or send "silence" bits over the bus to trigger DAC automate if available. Sometimes, the pops can happen even if the music doesn't change clock rates because some i2s drivers revert to a default rate on start/stop for various reasons and could cause the clocks to change.
Sometimes, there is an issue where the silence sent by the driver is not long enough to allow the DAC to transition to the new clock rate so you need to increase the silence duration in the i2s driver.
As far as I know, Roon does the silence trick in software so it's less prone to the issue.

Great guys. I will look into this pop issue. Thanks to you all.
Hello when i used rpi with lms and mpd i had the issue of pops with some dac due to the on and off from the clocks each time the file plays squeezelite/mpd starts working and stops when you do stops. There was a comand to tell the squeezelite to stay open all the time and no pops will happen.
I had loud pops each time i play a file and sometimes when i stop.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Sorry if I've missed this earlier in the thread but I have a question on current requirements.
I have a pair of Salas Reflektor and Ubibs doing nothing so I thought I'd use the Reflektor pair wired for the +/- 5 and the Ubib for the 12v.
What would be the currents for these 4 rails for me to set these shunt regs? I realise different opamps may alter this slightly in the 12v rail.
Also I see in the AD1862 datasheet that the digital rail can go up to 12v. Any mileage in upping the 5v rail?

Expect this as "safe minimum" with LM6171 in the I/V:
+-40mA for digital (+-5V)
+-60mA for analog (+-12V)
The real consumption will be less (perhaps half of that).

Schematic examples in datasheet are for both "high performance" and "high resolution" on +-5V digital supply. I would say, the larger the voltage difference between analog and digital (analog > digital), the less the possibility of digital interference - but that's a humble theory unless we see the internal diagram of the AD1862 :lickface:

Why NOS DAC is better?
Because direct comparison often proved better sound. Some describe NOS-DACs as more vinyl-like in their sound. Oversampling DACs can sound a bit ringing, sometimes a bit muted or veiled.

If the oversampling has 8x multiplier, then only 1 out of 8 sampling points is the original record information, and the remaining 7 sampling points are derived from an interpolation calculation. How trusty are those 7 calculations? ... what about 32x multiplier :rolleyes:
In complex frequencies/music sometimes less information is more, naturalness.
Just adding here my thoughts :angel: