DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Have bought mine genuine at Rochester and costed me one leg as I'm EU based... but I'm sure they are genuine, non sorted out from a bad production batch an so on !

Not K type, but NJ type... well it's enough as I trim the pot from ears and no scope, lol !

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
what the logic as you need a pair, so 10 or 12 ! Bizare ! I had the luck to purchase only two there, though export taxes + DHL doubled the price...

People should drop on your offer, it's with the TDA1541A one of the most musical chips... and diy friendly not as the newest one that ask reccordings that do't exist yet or needs 16 layers pcbs with speed problems and at the end not a ral better sound if your diy is good enough around with these good old chips (and franly the ad1862 is better than the PCM1704)

Also a good guy here at diyaudio the current outputs needs protection if you're not sure what you're doing : i.e. two signal low noise diodes in reversed position and so in serie with each output pin (not heard by ears so no problem that a little diy hassle)

You shoud open a GB in the section, sure you will have sucess...

Rochester stocks AD1862N chips and has a minimum purchase of 11 units!
Is there enough interest for a GB?
But, shipping international from my location will get expensive.

try aliexpress (2 months waiting time :D), the price of 2 chips will be less than the delivery costs from the last genuine source :D just a test, you can buy the overpriced originals later ... I haven't bought the wrong original from China yet and I tried different sources (I also have the genuine AD1862N, no sound difference)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
yup...

If you have genuine K and bought Red K and noticed no difference, I'm interrested by purchasing two K of that source (if your osci, told you so as well), many K are standard rebadged though when coming from Asia where they were produced.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
sorry my english : it's when you have a buffer with no dc blocking cap at the outputt and pots to trim near zero Volt DC each other canals - in order to avoid OT or caps... which such dac chips disearve imho. Often seen with diamond tipology outputt stage or some oaps...

yup...

If you have genuine K and bought Red K and noticed no difference, I'm interrested by purchasing two K of that source (if your osci, told you so as well), many K are standard rebadged though when coming from Asia where they were produced.
How do you know this?
I noticed in DIYinHK AD1862 kit the J grade AD1862's surface does kind of look a bit odd, like it could have been sanded, but the printing looks very clean and authentic, a very high quality and convincing fake if so.
Works and sounds good anyway.

specify the "fake" please

did you mean it a chinese chip (produced) or a remarked AD original?

I dont know if its fake , as in rebadged standard to K grade like diyiggy describes , impossible to tell probably.

Maybe I am misinterpreting the term ''rebadging'' as sanding/air blasting off the surface of ICs and printing new markings.

I just noticed the unusual surface of my ICs, unusual compared to any recent produced ICs, maybe this was normal at the time.

here is an image

Attachments

• ad sur.jpg
    ad sur.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 865
this one probably comes from utsource - a chinese warehouse (not very trustworthy), almost all current AD1862 chips are sold from there ... compared to my originals they sounds the same, no glitches on the scope ... so either it is N-J, or remarked N ... in any case it is 100% made in AD factory ... because to produce and trim such precise R-2R DAC chip it needs a very complex technology (one of the reasons why no one wants to produce R-2R for audio, it's expensive)

Last edited:
If it is re-marked its quite impressive work amd just for a slightly better grade of the same part.

Anyway AD1862 is nice sounding DAC using OPA1612 IV and NOS, there is definitely some aspect of music (dynamics/amplitude information, like you mention) that DS DACs, even 9038 and 449X, fail to capture.
Sound is a little hazy but that might be improved with oversampling or maybe some filtering in output

Do you think warm up for the AD1862/R2R DACs is important, either measurably or subjectively?
Cos that could be a factor aswell