DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

@sworder84, I know how you feel using an old iron tip. It is tough. But I tell you, once I used a temperature controlled Hakko soldering station at work, I realized I could never go back. I bought a Hakko 951 station for myself. Those rough solder joints on your smd chips are likely hiding some problems. The good news is that you can easily and quickly redo all those smd solder joints. Like several Youtube videos on soldering smd parts show, apply flux from a tube onto one row and drag a small tip across that row. I think you will make beautiful looking solder joints, and I think your shift register problem goes away.
Hakko? I know this station but I want SH72 for myself. Now I have a "blue cheap soldering iron". Here - Мини-паяльник Электрический с регулируемой температурой, 60 Вт | Инструменты | АлиЭкспресс (aliexpress.ru) He is comfortable for me.

I just now ordered the last of my components and started making a 1862 DAC. I noticed Digikey is listing components for Rochester as a marketplace product. Digikey lists the AD1862 for sale and says it will ship in approximately 10 days from Rochester. Of course, it still has the same minimum sales amount, which is for this product, qty 14 at $22.93/ea, for a total of $321.02. Has anyone tried this? I guess I am speaking to Paddy first.
BTW, thank you Paddy for all your hard work getting the chips in the past. Maybe it can continue?
That's how I got my last batch, it's very simple. I've got about 18 pairs left and these will be my last since it's so easy for someone else to pick up as the supplier.

@chi0001 and @sworder84 Both of you have the same experience? No signal from shift registers? :unsure:
Is it the same without DAC chips (when the PCM1702 is pulled out from PCB)?

@chi0001 and @sworder84 Both of you have the same experience? No signal from shift registers? :unsure:
Is it the same without DAC chips (when the PCM1702 is pulled out from PCB)?
hello miro, same situation if no feed i2s signal, output is 0v, if feed i2s signal, the dr and dl output around 2.5v dc, i compare to other pcb, eg 1865, 1862, all dr and dl output around 2.5v with feed i2s signal, so i thnk the problem is no from the shift registers, once i have time, i will go to my parents home to open my cd player, i remember the chips are 1704, i thnk some pin need enable or disable..... likea 1794.......

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Our stores have a good selection of Quick and Baku soldering irons, and more expensive ones of course. Buying in a store gives you a guarantee. Quick are a little better, especially the tips. Baku soldering irons are mechanically poor, fall apart and have bad tips, but they are cheap. The solution is to stick the plastic nut on the handle immediately and use Quick tips, which last much longer. I don't know about Aliexpress. I buy all sorts of things there, but I wouldn't buy a soldering iron.

Our stores have a good selection of Quick and Baku soldering irons, and more expensive ones of course. Buying in a store gives you a guarantee. Quick are a little better, especially the tips. Baku soldering irons are mechanically poor, fall apart and have bad tips, but they are cheap. The solution is to stick the plastic nut on the handle immediately and use Quick tips, which last much longer. I don't know about Aliexpress. I buy all sorts of things there, but I wouldn't buy a soldering iron.
I never interested about solder station. I'm not pro just amateur. Well, I'm looking for them. Thanks.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
A new a present has arrived at my door, but I'm still waiting on a few more parts before I begin. My plan is to build Miros original configuration. I'll be using a WaveIO with separate PSUs that I stole from an older project to feed the DAC. I won't populate the MSB trim components (R5,6,7, TR1,2) since I have no scope to do the trimming, and will also omit the RC filter (R10,11, C37,38). I have a few opamps to try in the board (NE5532, AD797, LME49710, LT1363, and some sparko labs single discrete opamps) If anyone sees any problems with using any of these opamps please let me know. I also have separate =/- 5v and 12v PSUs for the DAC. If I can get everything together and working without burning things up, I also have a spare JlSounds output stage that I might try to see if it makes any difference. I have a bunch of delta sigma DACs and a couple of NOS multibit DACs on hand that I can compare this one with. Now I just need to finish reading this thread so I have some idea of what I'm doing. I'm looking forward to a fun project.
I too am looking forward to your progress and evaluation/comparisons. I’ve yet to employ a separate power supply for the dac chips. I’m currently using psu1 , jlsounds stacked with Burson Classic opamps. Also running Pass F6 amp, to diy full range speakers ( MarkAudio 12p) from an onkyo cdp or Mac mini server.
Enjoy !

hello miro, same situation if no feed i2s signal, output is 0v, if feed i2s signal, the dr and dl output around 2.5v dc, i compare to other pcb, eg 1865, 1862, all dr and dl output around 2.5v with feed i2s signal, so i thnk the problem is no from the shift registers, once i have time, i will go to my parents home to open my cd player, i remember the chips are 1704, i thnk some pin need enable or disable..... likea 1794.......
Input logic is working. Problem can be in non functional PCM1702? :unsure:
If you compare the schematic from Pavouk: http://pavouk.org/hw/audiosystem20/pcm1702dac.html
with mine schematic, both are identical. The only difference is in the package (pavouk used SOP package and my DAC has DIP package ==> pinout is different) :geek:
Try it with only one PSU as was suggested. +-5VA from PSU into both power connectors on DAC.

Last edited:
The only way to find out if it is a real PCM1702 is to install two shunt resistors (100R) on the power supply pins, but pins 3 and 9 must be connected together as well as 5 and 16 exactly as mentioned in the datasheet and measure the current, 3 and 9 should be around 5mA and 5 and 16 around 25mA.
If + has a greater or equal current as - something is wrong with the i.c.

Input logic is working. Problem can be in non functional PCM1702? :unsure:
If you compare the schematic from Pavouk: http://pavouk.org/hw/audiosystem20/pcm1702dac.html
with mine schematic, both are identical. The only difference is in the package (pavouk used SOP package and my DAC has DIP package ==> pinout is different) :geek:
Try it with only one PSU as was suggested. +-5VA from PSU into both power connectors on DAC.
tried. but it's ok, you did alot about these free project, you save alot these grandpa level chips, i feel bad if i keep let you help too much.

Reactions: 1 user
I built this DAC with the eRED-DOCK streamer and it sound amazing, thank you Miro. The only down side is it cannot play all high resolution files. I found that some 24/96 files can play quite normally while some have great distortion.

What are you guys doing when playing hi res materials?

dalje4444.jpg

gotovo.jpg

finale1.jpg

I'm still waiting for the LDOs :D

Reactions: 3 users