DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you for sharing and the adress tip. :)

It would make a pair of months as I'm busy on a speaker project but I will send you by pm my personal review and what I've found about passive parts I'd liked best! I will have also to adapt tiny uf-l pads as my I2S source is from IanCanada, if the traces d the I2S through holes are big enough this would be not too much compicated...

My headphone is a Fostex, 70 ohms impedance iirc !

btw, the "ad1862 with headphone amp", the output stage i tried 3 different audio output transformers, one is from china, one is sowter 3575 and tamura tks-84, all of them excellent.
i think if that pcb output stage have 2 external pins for other passive output stage, thats perfect. ^^

Miro, any chance you could provide the pcb layout files from your cad software, so that we can vary the opamp i/v stage to a discrete stage?. It seems that there is plenty of space to fit 1/2 of a pass D1 i/v stage, if the opamp i/v is omitted. Perhaps you could post the files here. Thanks.

you can easily route your own schematic, based on the original diagram, altough
I do not recommend routing custom I/V directly on the DAC board.
Until there is not known "the best final assembly", it will be better to build on interchangeable blocks.
Custom I/V often goes through significant customization and then it looks like a mess:

buffalo_2.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The main is they sound good ! There is also an Ebay kit quite famous but I don't remmber the name : based on Crysteq xtal chip and Xmos chip as well, but those two gives better result imho because the Xtals are NDKs and basicly gives stock a better sounding results.

Most others uses more basic xtals most of the time. But it also depends of the pcb drawing, the Wave I/O is a good proven 4 layers ones, don't rememer for the JL sound, some prefer for the extra details clarity but it's also about the way you power supply such pcbs : very low noise reg chips or LiPoFe cells are advised. Having tried both solution : ultra low noise PS are enough and the diy pcb cheap.

But no doubt the front end matters a lot for the final sounding result, the luck is jitter is not a strong difficulty with such PCM chips but still matters !

Last edited: