DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

If its not too much to ask how about having similar boards for diyinhk XMOS and Amanero boards :)

Thanks

I've different versions of DIYinHK boards. The location of the i2s headers pins on the 1.3 version pcb is way too off center. Due to limited space in my dac casing, it is impossible / inconvenient to stack a DIYinHK board onto it.

It would be nice to have a DIYinHK board version with the header pins moved down a bit so that the DIYinHK boards can be centered / neatly aligned after stacking.

Thanks.

Thank you all for your honest impressions :angel:

There can be problem with jlcpcb viewer after gerbers uploading. IDK why jlcpcb has problem to show the preview for these files, because pcbway is working fine. But the file is uploaded successfuly, so enter dimensions manually: 111x75 and it should work :D

@jpk73
NOS is not the best option, but is a good compromise between an excellent filter (like the PMD100) and a bad filter (for sure DF1704 - it is unrealistic to listen for a long time due to a digital fatique, I tried it really hard :D ).
There is one filter to consider, yamaha YSF210B-D, still available on eBay for a good price :cool: ... but if I create it, eBay will be sold-out very quickly as it happened with the AD1862 (Prior to launching this thread, AD1862 was available on eBay for $8, now it is sold out or overpriced) and the entire filter will be buried ... or creating something own with FPGA or PSoC, but the FPGA can end as endless story with spilled sweat, which no one will appreciate :yikes:
Can you compare the diamond BJT IV with THS4031? :eek:

@diyiggy
Thank you, I am sure you will find something usefull in my builds ;)

@Kuka
It is very addictive and time consuming :D

@Vunce
I appreciate it Vunce, you are great builder :sly:

@manniraj
I could do something for amanero. Are there very accurate dimensions as @JPS64 posted for I2SoverUSB?

Last edited:
Would you describe the warmth as more lossy then?

I didn't percieve it as a loss in terms of detail, rather I felt it sounded unnatural... For me it's unnatural if a flute or a violin always has that warmth to the sound: some instruments also should be able to sound like fresh snow at times... The AD1862 does this right!

@jpk73
NOS is not the best option, but is a good compromise between an excellent filter (like the PMD100) and a bad filter (for sure DF1704 - it is unrealistic to listen for a long time due to a digital fatique, I tried it really hard :D ).

That was also my impression: the DF1704 penetrates stress to my ears :cool: Sonically speaking: it was less refined and more harsh than the PMD100...

there is one filter to consider, yamaha YSF210B-D, still available on eBay for a good price :cool:

Interesting!!! How does it compare to the PMD100?

but if I create it, eBay will be sold-out very quickly as it happened with the AD1862 (Prior to launching this thread, AD1862 was available on eBay for $8, now it is sold out or overpriced) and the entire filter will be buried ... or creating something own with FPGA or PSoC, but the FPGA can end as endless story with spilled sweat, which no one will appreciate :yikes:

I don't have the THS, but can I use it as a drop in for the OPA?

To expand a little on this front, would you say 1*AD844 + OPA627 sounds better than an OPA627? I am currently using 1 AD844 with an NE5534A and it too sounds better than an NE5534A alone.

Good question! I didn't really focus on that comparison, but I noticed that 1*AD844 was unsatisfying (hence I didn't carry out serious comparisons with that configuration), 2 were much better, but with 3 it sounded very good.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your honest impressions :angel:

There can be problem with jlcpcb viewer after gerbers uploading. IDK why jlcpcb has problem to show the preview for these files, because pcbway is working fine. But the file is uploaded successfuly, so enter dimensions manually: 111x75 and it should work :D

@jpk73
There is one filter to consider, yamaha YSF210B-D, still available on eBay for a good price :cool: ... but if I create it, eBay will be sold-out very quickly as it happened with the AD1862 (Prior to launching this thread, AD1862 was available on eBay for $8, now it is sold out or overpriced) and the entire filter will be buried ... or creating something own with FPGA or PSoC, but the FPGA can end as endless story with spilled sweat, which no one will appreciate :yikes:

@diyiggy
Thank you, I am sure you will find something usefull in my builds ;)

@Kuka
It is very addictive and time consuming :D

@Vunce
I appreciate it Vunce, you are great builder :sly:

@manniraj
I could do something for amanero. Are there very accurate dimensions as @JPS64 posted for I2SoverUSB?

Well, as an option, you can use one of the best DF SM5847, I don't know how many there are in VCAMERICA, but you can buy it and the price is not terrible.

You can use DF based on this project, like a non-commercial

Documentation attached

Attachments

• DF1_1_0_0.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
The network I am currently using is similar to the single AD844 version in your link. The issue with the AD844 is that it often has instability issues with capacitors connected directly to ground, that in your link is 470pF. These issues stopped if a series resistor of > 50 Ohms was connected in series with pin 5, hence I use 100 Ohms between pin 5 and the capacitor.

Hello
I have decided to build this DAC
It's big challenge for me after built Nelson Pass amp.
I already ordered PCB from meanie,jlsound usb module,
super regulator PCB.
I want to know which transformer exactly.
Two separate transformers (+-5v 30va and +-12v 30va)?
And wall tap in my country is 100v so voltage drops x0.87.
I think slightly above the voltage.
I am sorry for newbies question but I want to make sure
my order.