DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Hardware is ready, fixed a proplem with exessive voltage on +5 voltage from LDO board.
Some parts are backorder from mouser, but found bits in my own parts box.

So dac is ready to get up and running, fiddling out i2s out on raspberry Pi 4B

Try this, BBB + Pure firmware, according to reviews the sound is better than with Pi, and of course you need to collect a reclocker from the same site. Recommend!!!
https://puredsd.ru/

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Ernest,
I couldn’t find the Gerbers in the thread either, here are the files.

Attachments

• Gerbers VDAC buf 7_16_2020.zip
    41.4 KB · Views: 82
  • VDAC_buf July 15 Schematic 3.pdf
    30.8 KB · Views: 150
  • C01CA071-DF2E-41D7-99BF-FF9098E224E5.jpeg
    C01CA071-DF2E-41D7-99BF-FF9098E224E5.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 293
Thanks Traktorist3d will sort things out. I am sure i will get it functional.
Atm very busy with job swap so have to find some time fiddle with settings ;)

FYI - most multimeters will "see" i2s as DC voltage. So if you want to see if you have i2s and don't have a scope, measuring with a multimeter on DC should give you a reading on the i2s lines. you might only see data line if you actually have something playing.

That has got me out of a pinch or two when I was trying to see if something was working or not.

fran

This is something I've been working at over the past little while. It's a low cost i2s switch from AliExpress, with a d-type flip flop on the output to reclock right before the DAC. My previous experiments were just seeing how it all worked (it did) but I haven't actually tested this arrangement just yet. The idea was to eliminate as much of the wiring as possible and allow 2 sources to be used with one DAC, in my case USB and an SD card player.

Unfortunately those nice potato flip flops are gone, but this TI chip is handy in that the inputs and outputs are lined up opposite each other on the chip. Both the switch and flip flop will run from either 3.3 to 5v which is handy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_200902-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210519_200902-01.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 385
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Good morning Vunce, thanks a lot. Will report in a while. Cheers

No Problem!! Just spreading the fun around:D
You can experiment with different film caps like Diyiggy suggested, but keep the required package size as per the BOM. Susumu RR, RS and RG(for regulator section).

Jimk04,
Your correct in thinking the TPS7A39 regulator is the tricky piece on this board. That would be nice if JLCPCB would pre-populate that for a reasonable price. Maybe if enough of you in the EU wanted the boards, the service would be doable.

Enjoy!!
:cheers:

Ps: Sorry Iggy, I didn’t have enough time to create the giant Bordeaux bottle that Miro did, Cheers anyway :D:D

Pss: Get the pcb’s with ENIG finish, easier for SMD soldering.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Vunce I/V stage after P. Rogic boards

I've ordered 20 boards, and in order to support soldering I've ordered a soldermask (thanks Vunce for the solderlayer). Therefor the ordered boards were hasl finish and really cheap. I think the soldermask will save a few regs life and nerves.

As this was the first time I have ordered a soldermask, I hope, everything will turn out as planned.

I shall keep 8 boards for my needs. So I will have 12 pcbs for some interested guys in the EU region. I could send boards plus the soldermask after having soldered mine to the first interested DIY colleague here. diyiggy already mentioned, he would like get to a pair. So Iggy, if you agree, I would send the hole package, 12 boards plus mask, to you and it will be your responsibility to forward the rest to the next interested guy. I just want to get back the postal expense from the first taker and of course the soldermask from the last one in the row. The boards are small, some 23 by 27 mm, and the soldermask will be 80 by 80 mm. Due to that expenses will be manageable.

Iggy if you agree, I start with you:

diyiggy: 2 boards

total: 2 of 12

It’s functional !
Without fifopi reclocker I2S off raspberry 4, and using those adviced LM opamps. Playing some radio broadcasts from the web.
I did not get any I2S signal from rpi in raspbian and volumio, with moode os yess got signal
This evening put reclocker on and try to get upnp for tidal playback