CD Player as DAC mod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This project may stall, but I keep looking.
The cd drive looks like it has a s/pdif output, not i2c. I have run it to a cs8416 s/pdif receiver and it took it. I think the little board abraxalito showed me will give a s/pdif output at a reasonable rate, if I give it the timing signals that the cd drive uses. Or perhaps I misunderstand the board, as I have not looked at that part in any detail yet.

I have never looked at anything remotely like this before. The cs8416 is what's in my £3.50 dac

Last edited:
This project may stall, but I keep looking.
The cd drive looks like it has a s/pdif output, not i2c. I have run it to a cs8416 s/pdif receiver and it took it.
SPDIF is a one wire box to box protocol found on many cd players. The CS8416 decodes it into something useful to other chips. The philips based Arcams used I2S internally. I2C is a comms protocol.
I think the little board abraxalito showed me will give a s/pdif output at a reasonable rate, if I give it the timing signals that the cd drive uses. Or perhaps I misunderstand the board, as I have not looked at that part in any detail yet.
Only if you add a SPDIF input and then you would have to configure the SPDIF receiver to meet the needs of the CD player.

You're saying my s/pdif decoder decoded I2S ?

That is what the CS8416 datasheet states. With one maybe two exceptions, digital filters and dacs won't decode SPDIF. You need the decoder to turn SPDIF into something useful to, in your case, the PMD100. The SAA7220, in earlier Arcams, would require the I2S. Even though the CD-DSP puts out the Sony format, setting the PMD100 to the LSB Justified format covers it.

Below are the formats the CS8416 can be set to.

Attachments

• Formats.gif
    Formats.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 185
As a delve into this, I realise it's a lot more than I want to know. I think I will wait till I own something with a s/pdif output and simply try it. I have done half the job, pulling the signal out and using it. Proving to myself it falls under the s/pdif standards. I also have an example of using a 8416 with the pmd100, from the pmd100 datasheet http://tech.juaneda.com/download/PMD100.pdf
The 8416 comes in a complete dac for $5 3.5mm Optical Coaxial Toslink Digital to Analog Audio Converter Coaxial RCA L/R | eBay
I have not looked at the example for long, but see some sort of basic logic chip is used as a delay.

The 100 chip is quite good, in that it won't give up as I swap from the mechanism to my own input using a signal relay. So this project does look like a low budget affair. Though of little use to anyone with a different player.

Thanks for sticking with me this far rfbrw. I can see you would like me to rise to the occasion and learn how to build one from scratch. I feel I'm letting you down Dad but I'm still looking for a hack. With something close, I'm much more likely to complete the project.

A ray of light has fallen upon my parts bin. The 8416 chip in my $5 dac is paired with the i2s talking es7144lv http://www.yuhaoic.com/Uploads/file/20151012/20151012091147_82737.pdf

I still haven't seen how it's i2s in the Arcam, but now I do have an i2s

I'm too drunk to get from one end of an idea to another right now, but I reckon it's a step forward.

Seems like a misunderstanding has cropped up. The old arcams had I2S. The 8SE has the Sony format. BTW, the I2S stuff is a bit of a red herring. The CS8416, like any half decent digital audio i/f chip, can be set to other formats. What make the CS8416 and the 8se an unfortunate combination for an input hack are their respective the master clock frequencies.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The Arcam 8SE is a good device, but you can have better for cheap if you want a dac for music from the computer.
If one has pleasure to putt cd into a player as some has the same pleasure to use LPs then burning a CD is very very cheap.
It makes no sense to add a spidf inputt to move the Arcam into a DAC as the result will be less good than the internal cd player mechanism because the jitter. This spidf protocol uses multiplexing to transport the three lines of the I2S. And I2S was developped for short distance between the playback mechanism and the dac chip board : few inches. It could be feasible to put in it a reclocker and a Fifo but the price raise towards something more expensive than the CD player second hand today.

Plus the risk to fry a rom with a shortcut, that may happen often than one think and break the cd player for ever.

Better to recap carefully the lytics with the same caps of the cd player if it has 20 years of playbacks and buy for the pc playbacks a little AK dac chip board at less than 50 bucks or jump towards an affordable RaspBerryPi solution with a musical dac hat : many exist at around 50 usd. It is said anyway than Windows Media Player plays like a PMD100 chip as Microsoft purchased long time this chip company and emulated its sound in WMP and newest itterations (but maybe a myth, dunno!)
my 2 cents, but a personal challenge I will avoid such surgeon games.

Last edited:
I picked up a Roksan K3 Amp and CD Player with the inputs, putting this idea to bed.

It's broke. Never ending comes to mind. Skips towards the end of disks then starts to take off. I'm guessing it spins the disk at full tilt or something, as you hear the machine shaking away over the music from another source. I was looking out the window thinking the chopper sounds odd today.

I got a laser price of £65 from them, as I'm guessing it's that. Here is a nice pan around inside. Just 90 seconds of which only the last half is worth looking over. Perhaps someone can better advise me on what laser is fitted and if it's likely to be that. If not.. it's still worth a peak inside :)
Roksan K3 CD Player Overview - YouTube

Thank you for all the help before. I decided to chuck some money at the problem to get on with my speaker build instead. Now I'm pricing up speakers :)

I missed your posts rfbrw and diyiggy.

I have enjoyed the chat. I will read through it again now I think I have it. It's quite satisfying to understand why it's not happening. Even though I wanted it to. My new player comes in two versions. One just gains the Auxiliary inputs. I'm looking forward to seeing the drawings for them. It's added in the most unexpected way for a £1500 player. If you put your fingers under the player, there is a 3 position rocker switch. In one position the player works but in the other two you can't hear anything. The dac is instead fed from the optical or coaxial sockets.

So the new stuff. I fancied an Amp. The 8r amp is a little veiled and thought an amp with dac's might mean keeping my 8se cd as a transport. Then along comes the K3 but with CD player too, for not a great deal more. I quickly conversed with a friend about the vanity payment I would be making. Weighed against the ease of getting my money back splitting them. They said I had had the Arcam 20 years. The Roksan is £5 a month. It suddenly seemed reasonable. Putting the Arcam out of service.

I do have a cheap dac or two but they don't really cut it. I still might drop all this if an Arcam SA30 comes up though. That's the DSP one that makes speakers fit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.