Additional Input and Outpus on 3e Audio ADAU1701 DSP and Aliexpress

Hi,

I have a couple of 3e Audio ADAU1701 DSP, that I like a lot, but It only have 2 inputs and 4 outputs.

The thing is this boards also have I2S inputs and outputs.

My question is... is there any possibility to use simultaneously both the analog inputs and I2S inputs, and analog outputs and I2S outpus for a total of 4 inputs 8 outputs?

What hardware do I need? Any cons of doing this?

Also, I have an Aliexpress ADAU1452 with the AD1938 codec, which is a 4x8 DSP, and I've read in the manual that I can use extra codec boards for more inputs and outputs... is this really possible? do I just buy extra codec board, wire it and I am ready to program it with SIGMA STUDIO?

Looking for your help!

I don't understand. Is that a sarcastic reply?

No, this DSP very good. I am using a newer model ADAU1467.
And have ADAU1452.

Sorry, my english is not very good

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-28 at 18.54.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-28 at 18.54.26.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 798
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 23.30.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 23.30.53.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 783
ADAU1452 are limited to 8 outs unless using the tdm interface.
If the address pins are accessable on the ADAU1701 boards (they aren't on the sure/wondom)you can use two boards connected in parallel on the i2c buss by setting them to different addresses. In sigma studio you have the ability to build a single project addressing both boards.

Edit: info/spelling

No, this DSP very good. I am using a newer model ADAU1467.
And have ADAU1452.

Sorry, my english is not very good

Ok, sorry. Yes I want and will use it, but it is for a different purpose than the ADAU1701.

You are using the Aliexpress version?

ADAU1452 are limited to 8 outs unless using the tdm interface.
If the address pins are accessable on the ADAU1701 boards (they aren't on the sure/wondom)you can use two boards connected in parallel on the i2c buss by setting them to different addresses. In sigma studio you have the ability to build a single project addressing both boards.

Edit: info/spelling

Thanks for your reply.

I think the pins are exposed in the 3e Audio version.

So it not possible to just add another input and output without buying a new board?

Attachments

• Captura4.JPG
    Captura4.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 961
  • Captura5.JPG
    Captura5.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 761
Ok, sorry.
So it not possible to just add another input and output without buying a new board?

Sure. I hooked up an inexpensive I2S DAC without a problem. Concerning the inputs: Do you want all of them (analog and digital) active at the same time or do you want to switch between analog and digital? If you look at the 3e SigmaStudio program you'll see two blocks, AutoSourceSelection and AutoMute, directly after the input control. These are meant to automatically switch between the analog and first (SData_IN0) pair of digital inputs. I assume these were created when 3e intended to produce the Bluetooth daughter board. The Bluetooth board got scrapped for whatever reason, but the blocks remain.

Note: Those two blocks are password protected, supposedly to protect 3e's IP. I asked them and they told me they don't use any GPIO pins. That's all I know.

Attachments

• 3e SS.JPG
    3e SS.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 756
Sure. I hooked up an inexpensive I2S DAC without a problem. Concerning the inputs: Do you want all of them (analog and digital) active at the same time or do you want to switch between analog and digital? If you look at the 3e SigmaStudio program you'll see two blocks, AutoSourceSelection and AutoMute, directly after the input control. These are meant to automatically switch between the analog and first (SData_IN0) pair of digital inputs. I assume these were created when 3e intended to produce the Bluetooth daughter board. The Bluetooth board got scrapped for whatever reason, but the blocks remain.

Note: Those two blocks are password protected, supposedly to protect 3e's IP. I asked them and they told me they don't use any GPIO pins. That's all I know.

Thanks for your reply!

So, for the output I just need an I2S DAC? That will give me 2 extra outputs, correct?

The idea is to use all simultaneously (ADC and DAC), active at the same time... so I can (for example) use the DSP for active XO on 4x 2-way speakers.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, I used this inexpensive one (LINK) from Ebay with good results. It does need 5V and it's max output (2 Vrms) is different from the 3e assisted DACS. But that's simple enough to compensate for in SigmaStudio.

thanks for the tip I have also achieved success with this board. The DAC can be powered using 5V from the 3E board tapped off the unpopulated capacitor pads. It would be possible to add two of these boards to the 3E board to get a total of 8 outputs.

thanks for the tip I have also achieved success with this board. The DAC can be powered using 5V from the 3E board tapped off the unpopulated capacitor pads. It would be possible to add two of these boards to the 3E board to get a total of 8 outputs.

What a coincidence, I did the same thing. The DAC needs about 40 mA and 3e Audio told me that's not a problem. Here's a picture of the unused +5V capacitor pad to use. The other pad is ground.

Attachments

• DSP 5V Pad.jpg
    DSP 5V Pad.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

Thanks!

Can you explain hoy to connect 2 of these dacs to get a total of 8 outputs?

Looking forward to your reply!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks!

Can you explain hoy to connect 2 of these dacs to get a total of 8 outputs?

Looking forward to your reply!

This is all a bit hacked as I didn't have any plugable jumpers to hand, I will obviously tidy this up for the finished project! I only have one extra DAC in my system but don't see why this shouldn't work with two.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hardware connection for a single stereo DAC (shown in pictures):
BCLK->BCK
LRCLK->LRCK
DATAOUT_0->DATA

To connect another DAC you want to make the connections:
BCLK->BCK
LRCLK->LRCK
DATAOUT_1->DATA

In the schematic the outputs that correspond to these DACs are Digi0/Digi1 and Digi2/3. In the example I have connected triangle wave generators to the left and right channel (Digi 0 and Digi 1) of the first DAC for testing.

attachment.php

Very important though the 3E audio project by default has the DATAOUT pins as GPIO so you need to change them to Output Sdata_out in the hardware configuration register settings otherwise you won't get any output.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_160919159.jpg
    IMG_20200611_160919159.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • IMG_20200611_160854395.jpg
    IMG_20200611_160854395.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 1,241
  • Schematic.png
    Schematic.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,219
  • hardwareconfiguration.png
    hardwareconfiguration.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,216
This is all a bit hacked as I didn't have any plugable jumpers to hand, I will obviously tidy this up for the finished project! I only have one extra DAC in my system but don't see why this shouldn't work with two.

Awesome Kipman!

Thanks for the explanation and pictures!

I bought a DAC a few weeks ago, when ernperkins suggested I can use it to add 2 outputs. Now i will proceed to buy another one to test for another extra 2 outputs.

Cheers!

Yes. When you select an output control in SigmaStudio it has a drop-down list where you can select DAC0 thru 3 or DIG0 thru 8. For more information check this Wiki LINK.

One thing I forgot to mention is that as well as needing the match the gain between the onboard and extra DACs it might be required to match delay as different DACs will have differing reconstruction filters which introduce sample delay.

Think I am pushing it too much with so many questions, but...

I also have an ADAU 1401 from Aliexpress which works very nice, but it obviously have only 4 outputs. The I2S pins don't seem to be exposed...

Is there any way to add 2 extra outputs?

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_214407.jpg
    IMG_20200506_214407.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_20200506_214417.jpg
    IMG_20200506_214417.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20200613_195246.jpg
    IMG_20200613_195246.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Captura.JPG
    Captura.JPG