2020 choice of USB/audio bridge

All the streams are processed in chunks and the chunk/buffer/fragment size is a key factor in reliability of the transfer. Small chunks mean small safety margin for the OS to react in time. Have you tried increasing the buffer sizes of your chain? ASIO has a fragment size (flipping between two fragments), WASAPI is similar IAudioClient::Initialize (audioclient.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

I wouldn’t likely have access to even witness that stream, let alone alter the parameters unfortunately. Thanks just the same though.
Not my laptop, or my software so can only poke at it from the outside really. I can’t even use an xmos chip, since that would require software that is not allowed. Sounds very good however, with much having been optimized over the course of 6 years.

It had been dropping out for a few seconds at a time, and finally a windows update fixed that here recently. During that time was when I had added a dedicated supply for the normally USB powered bravo sa9023 chip, in an effort to help with that. It didn’t, however the better PS was well noticed just the same.

Last edited:
Music Tribe (Behringer, TC and etc.) is also offering their custom USB audio interface IC.
ARM based, not much information in public datasheet but seems they are rather small company friendly - accepting small orders and offering full SDK.
Coolaudio Semiconductors - COOLAUDIO International Ltd
Anyone seen existing product with those chips? Their audio interfaces like UMC404HD as far I know uses XMOS.

So far I think Comtrue bridge is the most convenient to me. The cheapest version of CT7601 price is $2, the same time it handles 32/384 and DSD128, not officially but it does. The source code is opened and gives you the ability to implement what do you need without extra MCU, including complex android USB HID control of the DAC for example. Easy to buy in China, short lead time.

So far I think Comtrue bridge is the most convenient to me. The cheapest version of CT7601 price is $2, the same time it handles 32/384 and DSD128, not officially but it does. The source code is opened and gives you the ability to implement what do you need without extra MCU, including complex android USB HID control of the DAC for example. Easy to buy in China, short lead time.

It seems that this device does work in sync mode which is not used in above-average grade audio products anymore. I often see that non-async mode usb bridges have compatibility issues with modern usb controllers. Does this chip do well with modern usb 3.x hardware?

In asynchronous mode a clock (MCLK, BCK, LRCK) is independent of the USB clock, synchronization between data rates is maintained separately via a feedback path to the USB interface - this assumes less jitter compared to synchronous mode.

This is why synchronous mode transfers are highly dependent on usb hardware, cabling, interference etc. This is why I can't make Meizu Hifi work with my new pc properly. Never had a such problem with asynchronous mode devices.

@IVX I realize when you say "2020 choice", you mean high sampling/bitrate. However say one would be content with 16bit / 48khz, but needs asynchronous mode. Do you have any suggestions for a usb/i2s bridge that's cheap and easy to implement?

Most of what I find is either EOL or only supports adaptive mode.

That’s what I said on previous post, Comtrue was updated the contact page by adding China distributor.

Regards,
TJ.