Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

2020 choice of USB/audio bridge
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2020, 02:44 PM   #71
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Just looked at miniDSP MCHstreamer. Can't see any clocks on it. Maybe they are on the bottom? Depending on what they are, it makes a difference. Looks like no support for external clocks either. Oh, well. I'll stick with what I know works.
Old 2nd December 2020, 02:48 PM   #72
kn0ppers is offline kn0ppers  Germany
diyAudio Member

Well it's kind of expensive and the opposite of compact. There are similar products from other companies, most of them are based on XMOS. As was already said, the big downside of XMOS implementations is that you need fairly many external components and that it is not really that power efficient compared to other solutions.
Old 2nd December 2020, 03:00 PM   #73
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
I don't think there has yet been any mention of this product in the thread:
miniDSP MCHstreamer

It has an Xmos based USB interface.

Is this not what the OP is looking for? Cost is only US$115
Pretty sure OP designs audio equipment and wanted a chip-down design for a dongle or similar. XMOS chips have atrocious power consumption and the entire software paradigm is annoying, not to mention the driver situation on Windows.

Last edited by chris719; 2nd December 2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 3rd December 2020, 02:56 AM   #74
IVX is offline IVX  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranigma View Post
Probably.. but I bought this after seeing your own measurements on ASR.
The situation around USB audio-bridges a bit more strange than could be. USB and UAC2 is a well-documented protocol, it is a standard, and WTF we have practically?? I had stuttering with Comtrue(because they gave me such bad config but anyway), I know people have stuttering with savitech, you have the same with Cirrus Logic bridge.. Why it so difficult to follow the standard and avoid such issues?
Old 3rd December 2020, 03:15 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

About 10 years ago I met some people from Intel who were a part of USB-IF. We were working on an unrelated protocol, but it was a similar industry working group and design-by-committee lead by Intel. The spec ended up being an overcomplicated disaster, incredibly annoying to implement, and still has never seen wide adoption because of this. When I read the USB Device Class specifications I get some of the same feelings. I have never tried to implement UAC 2.0, but I suspect it has a lot of corner cases. If it were easy to implement then you wouldn't have a situation where Microsoft decided to license a 3rd party driver and most of the solutions on the market are half baked.

When you try to design something that is all things to all people, it rarely turns out clean.

Sometimes I am surprised USB itself works as well as it does. Take a look at the number of "quirks" in the Linux kernel host controller drivers.

Last edited by chris719; 3rd December 2020 at 03:21 AM.
Old 3rd December 2020, 03:31 AM   #76
IVX is offline IVX  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

when I tried to find/check some info in the USB.org documents, I have to open 4-6 PDFs simultaneously because of such unreadable style of documents they are. Perhaps, USB did that for future paid consultations, you know, if your docs aren't readable, you always "can help".
Old 3rd December 2020, 04:23 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Yep, I can believe it.
Old 3rd December 2020, 04:32 AM   #78
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Just yesterday, I loaded some Intel Bluetooth drivers onto a laptop, and of course, issues with stuttering began immediately after, only when loading another large program.

That is with the new Bluetooth feature turned off, just that something was switched in the bios that allowed a perfectly operating setup to go off the rails a bit.
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:13 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

Run LatencyMon and see what you get with it enabled in the BIOS and then disabled. This is not abnormal with PC hardware. There are many drivers out there that, under certain conditions, use too much kernel time and cause these types of problems. Windows is predisposed to this more than Linux due to the driver model and just the fact that most of these drivers are closed source and no one is going to tear you apart on a mailing list if you write bad code.

Last edited by chris719; 3rd December 2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 4th December 2020, 11:45 PM   #80
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip, am on a network thatís pretty locked down for upgrades.
I did do some digging after your post had prompted me to look into it, unfortunately after a bios update, and some optimization software aimed at the offending program, the problem persists. Is aggravating that Iím not allowed to rollback the Bluetooth driver install that revealed this new issue.
At least it only when starting and ending, and not when the program is up and running!

2020 choice of USB/audio bridgeHide this!Advertise here!