Which digital 4-way crossover for high class 4-way monitors?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I need a 2-way X-over for a JBL M2 speaker system. The JBL comes with DSP/DAC etal plus power amp.. all in one. I want to replace thier power amp. But might need to start from scratch with new x-over.

Looking for recommendations that I can buy and not build. Must be very flexible. And, highest quality sound.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I need a 2-way X-over for a JBL M2 speaker system.

Richard, the technical problem that needs solving isn't the DSP crossover, although you need it too. The DSP is quite doable, its just a matter of choosing an approach/product and setting it up to work with the speakers (some diy work may be required).

IMHO the vexing technical problem is the need for a dac that sounds close enough to analog. For the 2-way M2s the dac should have at least 4-channels.

Personally, I would avoid the cheap junk all-in-one DSP boxes, analog in and analog out, often marketed for car use.

I hope you are not claiming that miniDSP products are 'cheap Junk'.

I don't know them well, although Richard once showed me the innards of one. That one was junk to me, maybe gold to you, don't know.

BTW, I have the board sets here to make more or less the same thing, sort of an eval board setup for the AD DSP chip. It has a 2-input, 4-output ADC/DAC chip (all-in-one chip) and crystal rather than a clock module. That thing is junk, the specs are barely better than 16-bit. SQ is atrocious compared to a good ES9038Q2M build.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't know them well, although Richard once showed me the innards of one. That one was junk to me, maybe gold to you, don't know.

BTW, I have the board sets here to make more or less the same thing, sort of an eval board setup for the AD DSP chip. It has a 2-input, 4-output ADC/DAC chip (all-in-one chip) and crystal rather than a clock module. That thing is junk, the specs are barely better than 16-bit. SQ is atrocious compared to a good ES9038Q2M build.

almost all music is only available in CD quality so if your gain structure is OK this shouldn't be a big deal....

Bill,
Its not one bit about being snobbish. Maybe someone else can explain to you what they hear, or maybe what they heard as they improved their ebay ES9038Q2M boards. Some people notice things that you may not care a whit about. I write for those people because so far it seems to be everybody who tries better sound that finds like like it, even if they weren't expecting it.

It's possible that those specific details are distortion. There is no way for you to know by listening unless you are able to compare to the original. It's better because you and the "trusted listeners" prefer it, purely subjective "like", nothing wrong with that of course.

No, not distortion. The listeners are trained recognize distortion and downgrade their evaluation ratings accordingly.

You are imagining things in your head and accepting them as reality without knowing what is possible for skilled humans, you have no direct experience there.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I mean better. Not to an AP (which is not human and doesn't represent humans), but better to a highly skilled listening panel listening for specific details, not for preference. That's how I measure SQ.

Oh dear. Sorry Mark you've completely gone to the dark side. Even to the point of rubbishing something you have never heard whilst claiming your secret society of listeners are better than meausurements.

Oh dear. Looks like BT has moved over here, next thing this thread is going to get closed. Why don't people who want this forum to be just like ASR move over there? Then they won't have to put up with posts describing how audio gear sounds. Sorry, its fact that measurements do not exactly correlate with sound quality. That's reality. Expert listeners do exist, that's reality too. Get over it.

By the way, please don't put words in my mouth. Listeners do not replace measurements, they provide additional information not given by AP measurements.

Last edited:
No, not distortion. The listeners are trained recognize distortion and downgrade their evaluation ratings accordingly.

You are imagining things in your head and accepting them as reality without knowing what is possible for skilled humans, you have no direct experience there.
Perhaps their training is inadequate. You are imagining a lot of things about me now Mark, how can anyone including yourself be sure your imagination has not got the better of you?