Hifiberry ready to go

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, does anyone know if there is 'ready to go' micro sd cards available
to run a hifiberry dac+ on a pi4?
So far I've loaded several types of software, but so far the only thing that works
is raspian full which runs pi as desktop.
So far I've loaded; raspian full, raspian lite, noobs, hifiberry os, picore player,
but most don't communicate with the screen via HDMI, don't boot or go into
command screen (I know nothing about programming). I'm wasting a lot of time going around in circles so it better to find something that's ready to go.
What's available out there?

Try dietpi. It’s very lightweight and can do just about anything you want with the device. I use it with Roon on several R-Pi’s.
What do you have in mind for the final application? Do you want to access it via a webpage, use as a roon endpoint, etc?
Be happy to help.

Hi billyk, I tried dietpi, got nothing happening.
I couldn't access the file to change config txt, that's my usual way.
So in raspbian I'd "uncomment to force hdmi" in config and then I get communication with the screen. What I'd like to do is use the hifiberry from pc screen, the Pi is connected to ethernet cable.

OK. Let me see what I have. It’s a Pi 4 with a hifiberry dac+. Want to control from a web or app screen on pc. I’ll try to put something together as I’m not sure why you cannot see a screen.
One question, how do you prep the micro sd card? Do you use Rufus?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, does anyone know if there is 'ready to go' micro sd cards available
to run a hifiberry dac+ on a pi4?
So far I've loaded several types of software, but so far the only thing that works
is raspian full which runs pi as desktop.
So far I've loaded; raspian full, raspian lite, noobs, hifiberry os, picore player,
but most don't communicate with the screen via HDMI, don't boot or go into
command screen (I know nothing about programming). I'm wasting a lot of time going around in circles so it better to find something that's ready to go.
What's available out there?

hi soundoutlad,

I am sure that most, if not all, RPi4 audio distributions out there would support the Hifiberry DAC+. It is common and I would guess it should take only a couple of minutes to setup on most distributions.

I think there might be a disjunct between "your expectations" and what the various audio distributions offer. piCorePlayer, for example, by default is a headless Squeezelite player for Logitech Squeezebox / LMS environments.

I think the quickest route for you might be HiFiBerryOS.

regards
Greg

Joined 2002
Paid Member
[Just to be clear, you load the chip, boot and do not see anything out of the hdmi?]
No, nothing unless I change config

hi soundoutlad,

On piCorePlayer being headless (no screen, no keyboard, no mouse), you just connect a network cable, stick SD card in and boot. Configuration is done via another computer using a web browser. If you happen to have a screen plugged into HDMI you will see boot messages/errors then it will be in command line (no graphical window)

Other audio distributions will no doubt be different, hence the problem of matching your expectations with the right solution!

Most "light" Linux distributions will have no windows interface, just command line.

Audio distributions will normally have some interface to do the configuration easily. Generic Linux distributions probably will require you to configure config files via a text editor.

Audio systems usually require a "server" and "player". Both "may" be loaded on the same RPi or different computers. Usually, you only need one server per network and have multiple players. Audio distributions implement this differently. There are also other basic players that just play audio files.

Because of the multitude of options, initially everything seems very confusing, but once you find the distribution that suits your requirements setting it up should only take you a few minutes.

EDIT: I just thought, a "video" application, something like KODI might suit your "audio" requirements.

regards

Last edited:
I've had some progress, I loaded Hifiberry OS with some config changes to SD card so now I have a pink Hifiberry logo on screen with a text at bottom telling me "web interface is ready at IP address". Next step is to load some kind of browsing software (probably the wrong term) that will be compatible.

Hi,
Spent an hour or so playing with different configurations. I never had a problem getting HDMI output to the screen so I am not sure what you are saying. Especially the diet-pi stuff.
Also as some have noticed a lot is configurable from a browser on the same network.

hi Billyk, looks like it's working, or at least accessible. I can get an interface,but it's through a PC and not from the Hdmi cable. It's giving me the options of Roon, Spotify and squeezelite. Roon costs but is probably quite good, Spotify is in MP3 land so i'll try to avoid for the moment and squeezelite needs the Logitech Media Server which I can't access. Would it be a good idea to try some PC based servers since it's working through PC anyway?

That's good news. What exact distribution of what are you using. I'll fire up a copy and see what's going on.
I've had a server for so long. . . I run Plex, Roon, and Subsonic on a win 10 box in the basement. So you can see my bias; I also have the infrastructure to support all that too. I would at least try Roon on a pc on your home network. I was surprised how much I liked it. So much I bought an Allo Digi 1 Signature!
Your widget will make good music. Just need to find out the right combination for your set up and prefernces.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The simplest one to setup that I can recommend is Volumio, however I have not used it on a Pi - I installed it on an old Asus netbook.

It is very simple to get started, however. Just dump the image to a flash card (USB stick in my case) and boot it up. You can run it like that (from the card) or install it onto another bootable media from there if you wish. I like it so much I went ahead and used the option to install it to my SSD drive.

I can't imagine it being more difficult on a Pi, so I say it is worth a try. There is a Pi version, of course.

If you are using a screen, you can use the interface directly on the device. For headless, there is a very good web-UI that you can use from any device that can run a browser. Simply type the url "volumio.local" into your browser.

Then it is just a matter of adding your source(s) and installing plugins if you want them.

Best audio quality (bit perfect) is achieved with volume controls disabled and volume normalization disabled as well (it is off by default).

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Would it be a good idea to try some PC based servers since it's working through PC anyway?

No. You can use any browser from any device (including your phone) to access the web GUI for configuration and remote control. It is super-handy. The Pi would still be doing all the actual music playback.

With Volumio (as discussed above) you have the option of using the device itself for configuration and playback control, or to use a "remote control" through any browser. Best of both worlds.

That's good news. What exact distribution of what are you using. .

The system is Pi 4, 16Gb sd card, Hifiberry os, ethernet connected to router, HDMI to screen, PC also connected to router and separate port on the screen.
I loaded Roon on the PC today, Roon tells me it's accessing the Hifiberry via airplay so I finally got to play some music through the 'berry'. Hopefully it is working like it should and not taking the PC as a source.

A bit late to this party, but I was unable to get picoreplayer to run on a new RPi4 / HiFiBerry Digi+. It never connected to my network by wireless or wired ethernet, my router did not show it as a connected device. Makes headless control difficult, and it did not drive a directly connected display at all.

Moode works fine, but IIRC I had to have a display, mouse and keyboard connected to it initially to set up a wireless connection. In fact, I can use Moode with a mouse and a TV as a display for direct control, no PC or network needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.