GUSTARD DAC-A22 (AKI's AK4499EQ AK4499 AK 4499EQ 4499 in use) - who have heard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUSTARD A22 DAC

Hi
I have this DAC for last few weeks. Previously I was using PS Audio Digital Link III (pretty old stuff). I also tried a friend's IRDAC II from Arcam.

Its specs are already on the internet. I am using NuVista M3 Integrated Amp. Its a pretty fast Amp. Alongwith the Amp I am using my own made USB cable made from Pure Silver wires and My own made Silver ++ Speaker cables. For interconnect between DAC and Amp I am using Kimber Select cable. Speakers are Focal 926 Electra.

Previously the system used to sound very sharp on ears. The details used to be great but Digital harsh didn't let me enjoy the music for extended listening.

Due to this A22 which has only run for around 80 hours, The system sound very warm, vocal has a lot of weight. Bass is deep and large. Sound stage is pretty good and focused. Details are much better than before. The system which used to be very transparent already, is now showing full characteristic of the DAC. The background is dark and silent.

I also compared its USB interface with Coaxial interface. Its USB with MAC + Audirvana 3.5 performs much better if I use MAC + Audirvana+SCHIIT Eitr on coaxial.

I didn't hear any difference when I changed filters option
I didn't hear any difference when I changed Jitter mode 1 to 2

Last edited:
The Topping DX90 uses the same chip and gets great reviews.

If anyone knows of a vendor who ships quickly from the US I would be very interested. I don't want to wait for shipping from Asia.
I already have D30 with 30c no-name ocsilators instead of SiTime, fake opamps, etc. No more Topping, no matter were is shipped from, thank you. Onboard laptop chip sounds better.

AK4499 sound is very dependent on certain of its power supplies. Also, depends on low jitter, etc. With good power supplies, ultra-low jitter, maybe a $3k to $4k PC for running HQ Player to upsample to its very best quality DSD256 or DSD512, and the dac should sound pretty darn good.

Can you get it all for only $699 retail? Highly doubtful, IMHO. At least its possible to make it measure well :)

Last edited:
AK4499 sound is very dependent on certain of its power supplies. Also, depends on low jitter, etc. With good power supplies, ultra-low jitter, maybe a $3k to $4k PC for running HQ Player to upsample to its very best quality DSD256 or DSD512, and the dac should sound pretty darn good.

Can you get it all for only $699 retail? Highly doubtful, IMHO. At least its possible to make it measure well :)

I had a Topping that I did not think to much of, but I believe Topping, and other Chinese companies, may be making some much better equipment these days.

I have an ES9018 based Twisted Pear Buffalo III SE which I thought was great ($600+ just for the parts). I picked up a $400 ES9038 based Sabaj D5 and I like it much better.

There are other Chinese companies, such as Dennafrips, which are getting great reviews.

...There are other Chinese companies, such as Dennafrips, which are getting great reviews.

(Regarding your TP comments, there are reasons for that which most users aren't aware of.)

Dennafrips and Holo Spring are doing quite well at the moment for people who don't like SD dacs.

AK4499 is a whole different animal, a very complex one as dac chips go. The topping may sound good given its $699 price point, but it is unlikely to sound nearly as good as AK4499 can do at its best. Dacs in that class will almost certainly have to cost up around $2,000 (or more) at retail.

Last edited:
Dennafrips and Holo Spring are doing quite well at the moment for people who don't like SD dacs.

AK4499 is a whole different animal, and a very complex one as dac chips go. The topping may sound good given its $699 price point, but it is unlikely to sound nearly as good as AK4499 can do at its best. Dacs in that class will almost certainly have to cost up around $2,000 (or more) at retail.

I have ordered a Dennafrips Ares 2, but I am on the lookout for AK4499 dacs. I built a DIYINHK AK4497 that I like, but I would like a well done implementation of the top-of-the-line AK4499.

I had a Topping that I did not think to much of, but I believe Topping, and other Chinese companies, may be making some much better equipment these days.

I have an ES9018 based Twisted Pear Buffalo III SE which I thought was great ($600+ just for the parts). I picked up a $400 ES9038 based Sabaj D5 and I like it much better.

There are other Chinese companies, such as Dennafrips, which are getting great reviews.

Why does the cost of the PC have anything to do with it? :confused:

Why does the cost of the PC have anything to do with it? :confused:
What Markw4 made is just a claim with no supporting evidence.

Hi
I have this DAC for last few weeks. Previously I was using PS Audio Digital Link III (pretty old stuff). I also tried a friend's IRDAC II from Arcam.

Its specs are already on the internet. I am using NuVista M3 Integrated Amp. Its a pretty fast Amp. Alongwith the Amp I am using my own made USB cable made from Pure Silver wires and My own made Silver ++ Speaker cables. For interconnect between DAC and Amp I am using Kimber Select cable. Speakers are Focal 926 Electra.

Previously the system used to sound very sharp on ears. The details used to be great but Digital harsh didn't let me enjoy the music for extended listening.

Due to this A22 which has only run for around 80 hours, The system sound very warm, vocal has a lot of weight. Bass is deep and large. Sound stage is pretty good and focused. Details are much better than before. The system which used to be very transparent already, is now showing full characteristic of the DAC. The background is dark and silent.

I also compared its USB interface with Coaxial interface. Its USB with MAC + Audirvana 3.5 performs much better if I use MAC + Audirvana+SCHIIT Eitr on coaxial.

I didn't hear any difference when I changed filters option
I didn't hear any difference when I changed Jitter mode 1 to 2

Do you still have de Gustard DAC-A22? And how well does it sound to you after these couple of months?

Go for a single AK4499EQ, with this specs one per channel makes not much sense and over complicates the output stage because of the current the DAC outputs.Actually the Topping is great, certainly not worse than a Twisted Pears fully fletched diy dac. I run both ...

Status
Not open for further replies.