The Well synchronized asynchronous FIFO buffer - Slaved I2S reclocker

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Just installed the little circuit board on the DDDAC mainboard. Will have to close the chassis, move it from kitchen table onto a temporary position connect the clock circuitry from Andrea, Roon Nucleus, pre amp to check if it works.
If it works i will make a donation to help Doede with his blog.
My conclusion so far won't buy circuitry anymore that uses these u.fl microscopic connectors. The only reason i proceeded was the big investment in money and time i made so far.
Greetings, Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!
thanks to the proximity in km, I was finally lucky enough to borrow @andreamori's fifo !!!
I would like to try to do a listening review, even if translation will not be easy.
I state that I bought a lot of @Ian material, something like 20 fifopi, 10-15 dac and a lot of other material, so I have great respect for the work done by @Ian.
the chain is composed as follows:
raspberry pi4 with drixo 25mhz (lan section) and crysteck 54mhz with ropieee and Roon,
fifo lite,
tda1541a with @basesik output transformers,
drixo 5/6 oscillators.
all r-core transformers and inductive shunt power supplies.
from the first notes you immediately understand that we are talking about something of a high level, compared to the fifopi is superior on every aspect of the sound, the things that strike most are, the depth and focus of the bass, the sound planes are wider, the organ is deeper and higher in the dinner, the cheers come further than the speakers that seem to be in the audience. all the instruments have a precise position, which usually precision is synonymous with a tighter, smaller sound, instead here it is precise and detailed but more analog and harmonic. I would say it's all more true !!! pure realism.
the dynamics ... impressive !!
I also did various tests on dither, which also makes a big difference when listening to 24bit files. I much preferred 2-lsb Triangle, but each step feels differences.
instead for the 16bit I obviously preferred to switch off the dither. the programming from the fifo pc is also very comfortable, everything works perfectly with customization of the settings for each source.
I also add some personal observations after having it in hand: I have no idea of the price, but with a single card we have about everything, oscillator squarer and diverter, 4 i2s inputs, various and modifiable outputs for each dac, tda1541a in pcm, dual tda1541, pcm for various dac, i2s for various dac, etc. I can't wait to have the r2r dac in my hands as well.
I thank Andrea Mori for the availability and kindness of letting me feel his fear.
ask if we have some questions.
regards
View attachment 1044874 View attachment 1044875 View attachment 1044876 View attachment 1044877
will you build a balanced TDA dac with the second board? I would love to hear the comparison between a balanced TDA dac and the version of Andrea.

ilgravo, I have followed with interest your comments on Andreas FIFO results with you DAC and his FIFO plus Lite DAC setup.

Could you comment on the way that you want to implement sign magnitude with the second board? I have myself a few of Ryan's boards (but almost no parts yet).

Have you ever tried an active I/V with Ryans board? Your comment on your setup (even with the FIFO) vs Andreas full setup have made me wonder which way to go.

For anyone interested, attached is a pic of the test setup. The piece of wood more of the stuff is mounted on is sized to drop into an empty file server steel case. The metal case is for shielding to check if local environmental RFI/EMI has any audible effect on SQ.

All voltage regulators are on their own transformer windings. No center-tapped windings are used so that grounds/commons will be defined at the loads only. For +-15v regulation, dual positive regulators are used to provide matched regulator characteristics to both rails (e.g., matched FR, phase response, output impedance, etc.).

The dual 4v regulators are for DAC_Lite +-Vref rails. A different type of Vref regulator will be tried to see how that affects perceived SQ. That's being done because DAC SQ in general tends to be sensitive to Vref (sometimes referred to as 'AVCC' by some manufacturers) regulator design.

Attachments

• DAC_Lite Test Setup-1(compressed).jpg
    DAC_Lite Test Setup-1(compressed).jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mark, having myself the i2SoverUSB too, I would bee extremely interested if you could comment on your impressions of the FIFO vs no FIFO after the I2SoverUSB -- if you are able to hook it to another DAC (Andrea's DAC need a proprietary protocol, so it would not work without it).

@swak, IMHO for asynchronous USB we don't really need a FIFO, since the dac and the USB board can all be in the same clock domain. Also IMHO, a FIFO is most useful when there is a mix of clock domains, such as when using SPDIF/TOSLINK/AES and or maybe for HDMI. That said, FIFO_Lite also does isolation, which can be useful if using a USB board that does not include isolation from PC ground and power noise (I2SoverUSB in particular does provide galvanic isolation).

Of course, to get best performance if using I2SoverUSB, an external MCLK source is required (I2SoverUSB clocks are good, but external can be better). In that case, I2SoverUSB needs 45/49MHz external clocks which can be expected to have higher levels of phase noise than lower frequency clocks of the same general quality. For that reason I use a frequency multiplier to generate the clocks for I2SoverUSB, then reclock its I2S output with lower frequency, lower phase noise clocks. Once again IMHO, it can get a bit complicated if the lowest phase noise is wanted. Alternatively, using an off the shelf FIFO is one way to simplify the design work required for a given level of phase noise performance.

Mark, I really appreciate your comments, in my case I will only have one I2S signal coming form the JLsounds card.

I was thinking too (specially before I started considering Andreas FIFO more seriously, but now certainly again) to use an external clock for the I2soverUSB (as I only have/use/need 44.1kHz material I thought just to set up Andreas 45 MHz clock externally).

I thought using multipliers to reach a higher frequency introduced similar phase noise as higher base freq. clocks, so I had not thought of your way of doing it. I agree it gets more complicated.

Now, what Wealas says here sounds pretty good (thanks for your comment too!). I had always assumed the XMOS devices needed those high freq clocks, buy I just checked the datasheet for the XU208, and that seem not to be the case. This would be really good. I'll get in touch with them.

Finally, Andrea also has the TWSAFB-OI , which he uses to clean BCK, DR, DL from his FIFOS FPGA. Do you think this could help after the I2SoverUSB board too (I am connecting the I2SoverUSB to TDA1541 and AD1862 dacs)?

@analog_sa,
A reclocker could be thought of as a very short FIFO (one with less than one clock period of delay). That observation suggests that implementation details might account more for the reported difference between reclocking and FIFO, as opposed to a difference in principle between the two circuit concepts (for the case of asynchronous USB, used with an otherwise fully synchronous dac)?

Last edited:
@analog_sa,
A reclocker could be thought of as a very short FIFO (one with less than one clock period of delay). That observation suggests that implementation details might account more for the reported difference

Perhaps so, but unlikely in this particular context. The reclocker is the matching board for the I2SoverUSB with a nice adm7150 feeding the oscillators. I have not compared the exact types of D-ff which do the actual reclocking but do not expect huge differences there. The absence of long micro bncs on the stacked reclocker board is also a plus.

To me it's hardly surprising, given equal implementation, that a fifo is better.