Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

PCM1794 vs PCM1793 balanced output?
PCM1794 vs PCM1793 balanced output?
PCM1794 vs PCM1793 balanced output? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2020, 04:47 PM   #11
abza is offline abza  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Aha, interesting - I wasn't aware this could be achieved passively. That's pretty appealing, if anything just for the lower component count! So a simple resistor to ground is all that's needed to convert current to voltage?

Here's what I have as a quick mockup of that, including your idea to fold the shunt resistor into acting as some low pass filtering:

Click the image to open in full size.

C1: DC blocking cap, and part of the high pass filter together with R1.

R1: I/V resistor. Is this layout correct?

C2: Initial LP filtering

R2: Low pass filter with C3, as well as gain control with RFB.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:04 PM   #12
Ken Newton is offline Ken Newton  United States
diyAudio Member

The C1 blocking cap. MUST be located somewhere AFTER the I/V resistor R1. This is because the PCM1794A needs to pass a 6.2mA D.C. bias current from each output pin to ground, which it does here via R1. As shown, C1 would block passage of this necessary current. I would locate C1 as suggested earlier, between the 2nd filter pole and the output amplifier. I suggest this so that the C1 doesn't have to pass the full-band DAC output signal. Also, R2, C3 values should be chosen with the values of R1, C2 in mind, so that the in-band response remains flat to 20kHz.

PCM1794 vs PCM1793 balanced output?Hide this!Advertise here!