DEQX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A partial solution...

I can offer a cheap solution. This is what I use for an active EQ system:

"Source" is a cheap, Pipo X9 mini PC running JRiver Media Center (JRMC). This software gives you extensive multi-channel output opportunities. I use the HDMI outs to a MiniDSP someting-or-other streamer, that takes HDMI and can (for me) output ADAT disital. This goes to a Behringer ADAT-8200 (8-channel DAC), then a MX-882 (mixer, here as 8-channel preamp/level adjust), then to your choice of amplifiers, in my case more further appalling Behringer amps :D

Now, the above system is used as a digital source, but the MX-882 also has line and mic ins (and ADCs) so you could feed it a line level signal etc.

I challenge you to find a less expensive solution. Quality? I've noticed no issues, but you can spend a lot more if you like*. For people in my price bracket, thank the God of Capitalism for German Engineering and Chinese Manufacture :)

*Unlike some products, "higher quality" in this hobby is very rapidly approaching diminishing returns. For snob appeal, you're in the wrong place. May I suggest the cleverly named hifipig.com otherwise?

*Unlike some products, "higher quality" in this hobby is very rapidly approaching diminishing returns. For snob appeal, you're in the wrong place. May I suggest the cleverly named hifipig.com otherwise?

Thanks for the input, but I'll stick around here and enjoy my DEQX also. Yes, its a bit expensive and I did use my filthy capitalist money to purchase it. I would of thought a noble savage such as yourself would have fabricated and programmed your own DSP to achieve your goals .

Also I think inferring people are snobs because of their hobby purchases isn't a great way
to make friends but with a name like 'soldermizer' I doubt you had many to begin with. :rolleyes:

Could you elaborate about the need for extra power when using the deqx. Thanks.

SMathews

Hi SMathews, so the reason is dependant on the type of setup you run. But I'll
give you an example based off of my setup. I've learned alot already just dingling
with this DEQX thing and it sure is fun :D

So right now I've just got the two Nathans which have quite sensitive speakers so the DB is

ALREADY quite high, so you would need even more power for less sensitive speakers.

FIRSTLY... the cuts to shape teh eq on my speakers go as low as 30db. SO presumably
youneed enough amp to boost up those lowered portions that you're making up for.

THEN.... the other issue is I had a horrible buzz going straight from the DEQX into my amp. Its 75 ohms output so that shouldnt be the issue.

What I disovered is its simply the noise coming from the unit itself that needs to be attenuated. I use a high end power conditioner

and it still wasnt enough to deal with the problem. So I got some sescom
20db and 30db attenuators to put between DEQX and amp...problem solved! Hiss is

practically inaudible now, BUT... I'm down a whopping 50-60db from peak volume.

So fully cranked I can JUST eek out enough volume to be enjoyable, And thats WITH compression drivers that are 107.5db sensitivity

with 250WPC into 8 ohms! but what I hear now is better than I've ever heard, at least in my system.

Very low noise, inky black background but with the bass and mids simply being "there". I'm a believer in EQ now.

I simply dont think the setup I have now would be possible with a simple knob unit. The
interface and setting I have had to be visually tuned in with graphs and bring speakers
to their absolute limits. For example I'm crossing over the de250 CD at 700hz. AND

its a very shallow slope. Finding that without a visual interface and making it flat, I
just cant see it happening.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
QSC BASIS 922DZ second hand off ebay, very cheap has digital in, high performance DACs , need to make your own connectors to convert the dataport connectors to XLR outputs. Has a fan so shove in a cupboard. The reason its hard to find what you want is that loudspeaker management systems are well established in the pro sound world.

Yes, this is for all DEQX models since they all run on the same software.

What strikes me is that after all those years there are not many available options out there when you want a high quality dsp crossover with good volume control so it can function as a preamp. Minidsp is a mixed bag in their offerings. Most are cheapie and cheesy sounding. The ones that do sound a little bit better have only two-way crossover options. I have tried a 2x10HD but it does not sound as good as my DEQX unit, it does offer more flexibilty though. I have been on the lookout for years to find a good replacement for my DEQX but have not found it yet. The Analog Precision comes closest to what I have seen so far but like I said, it is still a one man startup which scares me a little to be honoust. It's a lot of money when you have no decent guarantee. I have been very close to ordering one. (still in doubt a little)

I have been using the UP since 2017 and it hasn't missed a beat. Audioweaver is not that hard to use. You learn a lot about your system when tuning it up, many things you didn't know about your speakers for example. Davids support is first class. I wouldn't be afraid of a ordering one, he isn't swamped by hundreds of clients so he can dedicate time to you and your questions.

I have ordered the UP+ and already have a buyer for my original UP. I could not be happier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.