Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

AK4499 DAC Design
AK4499 DAC Design
AK4499 DAC Design Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #111
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

AK4499 DAC Design
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luckins View Post
Chris,

I'm very interested in what you measure and in what way in concurs with your listening. I don't have the means to test. Do you measure line regulation and output impedance vs frequency and noise perhaps? Do you feel able to share your findings? I'd be very grateful- no axe to grind here.

John
I have to confess I have not done a direct listening comparison with the same circuit, but I have listened to very similar, and a properly used LDO sounds the same to me. I check for stability and expected load step response if using exotic parts, and residual switching noise if using SMPS. It’s not usually worth the time to continue hunting unless there are issues observed.
Old 30th November 2019, 06:08 PM   #112
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I have to confess I have not done a direct listening comparison with the same circuit.
Chris, thank you for responding on that. May I ask what the rest of your reproduction system consists of (dac, amp, speakers, etc.), the volume at which you listen, and if using speakers how far away from them?

Don't intend say anything bad about what you use, just trying to understand a little more if there is a hardware reason that might help explain you don't hear small differences verses the particular way you focus attention when listening.

On the subject of focusing, some people listen for frequency response, noise, hum, switching buzz, etc., things we might also measure. Other people listen for reproduction accuracy of cymbals, bass instruments, percussion instruments, etc., things that are not normally directly measured. There are also people who listen for mix balance, quality of reverbs, compressors, and other things primarily under the purview of recording and mastering engineers. With all the things one might listen for, probably nobody can focus attention on the small details of all of it at once.

Last edited by Markw4; 30th November 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 30th November 2019, 06:30 PM   #113
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
On the subject of focusing, some people listen for frequency response, noise, hum, switching buzz, etc., things we might also measure. Other people listen for reproduction accuracy of cymbals, bass instruments, percussion instruments, etc., things that are not normally directly measured. There are also people who listen for mix balance, quality of reverbs, compressors, and other things primarily under the purview of recording and mastering engineers. With all the things one might listen for, probably nobody can focus attention on the small details of all of it at once.
Which seems to be what happened in Pavel's preamp listening test which you questioned the value of?
Old 30th November 2019, 07:20 PM   #114
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

ScottJ, What do you mean by 'what happened,' that participants found out that they listen to/for different things?
Old 30th November 2019, 07:36 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Yes, and some were even surprised to be told they had been listening in mono
Old 30th November 2019, 08:13 PM   #116
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Chris, thank you for responding on that. May I ask what the rest of your reproduction system consists of (dac, amp, speakers, etc.), the volume at which you listen, and if using speakers how far away from them?
Can you share the same info when you discovered the audible differences by changing DAC parts?

Quote:
On the subject of focusing, some people listen for frequency response, noise, hum, switching buzz, etc., things we might also measure. Other people listen for reproduction accuracy of cymbals, bass instruments, percussion instruments, etc., things that are not normally directly measured.
How do you listen for reproduction accuracy of those instruments you mentioned? You would have to do it in the same room and location where the microphone was placed to be able to compare side by side. I suspect that you haven't done such thing.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:02 PM   #117
adam1016 is offline adam1016  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry guys, have been busy with family, thanksgiving, work and my speakers/amplifiers. I've decided that the best way to go right now (for me) is to recreate the AK4499 Eval board in Kicad, then start making the changes I would like to implement, but it's too much to go from eval straight to my desired schematic without having a framework in place first. I'm going to be doing pretty much an exact copy, headers, I/V Stage and all. Likely not going to do any board work until the design looks a bit more like what I'm going for.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:47 PM   #118
tonitonitoni is offline tonitonitoni  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1016 View Post
Sorry guys, have been busy with family, thanksgiving, work and my speakers/amplifiers. I've decided that the best way to go right now (for me) is to recreate the AK4499 Eval board in Kicad, then start making the changes I would like to implement, but it's too much to go from eval straight to my desired schematic without having a framework in place first. I'm going to be doing pretty much an exact copy, headers, I/V Stage and all. Likely not going to do any board work until the design looks a bit more like what I'm going for.
have not read whole thread but if i understand correctly you dont have time to do pcb.if eagle cad is option i could do pcb work for you in my spare time, even finish schematics if needed.

my issue is i have time to design pcb-s yet no money to test all of them, also i make mistakes as i am no professional.
attached is picture of 2 channel adc pcb that i never made with akm-s 5397 ADC with bit overkill regulation that i wanted to connect to "motherboard" that would contain power/mcu, my idea was to make it like this using ddr2 connector so i can prototype easy each part separately, dac/adc/mcu... if interested just say i would love to design pcb that people would actualy use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (164.8 KB, 242 views)
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:57 PM   #119
mountainman bob is online now mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Yes, and some were even surprised to be told they had been listening in mono
I guess you missed the part about a perfect stereo setup would portray a good mono recording with exceptional focus and depth.......
Donít hate on perfection Matt
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:04 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Hehe, focus being the operative word.

AK4499 DAC DesignHide this!Advertise here!