STAR Pure DSD DAC-Signalyst New

It is not possible use the Star DAC without the output transfomers because it have a differential output stage and it is necessary an I/V like show in the DSC1 schematic.
I think is better a good output transformers than an opamp but thi si my opinion.

In the case of Soekris probably is better use no transformers on output but this is an R2R DAC very different from DSC DAC.
We have selected these output transformers after many test also comparing them with high cost transformers such as those mentioned by you.

Can you elobarate a bit more on the actual conditions of tge output of the Star DAC? Is it voltage or current? Reason i am askibg, i used to use a differential tube output stage with an OPT, so differentials are summed up after tge tubes. For tge sabre, an i/v resistor did i/v, Soekris not even needthat, so currently its a 100k grid to ground resisror for tge tube.

My STAR DAC does not allow to change output DSD rate. Display shows DSDx8 and I cannot setup other DSD output rate with CH+/- buttons of remote control in setting mode. In non setting mode the CH+/- buttons are working and switch input. Please advise.
BR,

HI!

ok, DSD x1 .2.4 , Andrea updat new code with only DSDx8. im sorry it!

so you can set gain, thanks

The DAC uses transformers, do not know which type as the transformers are not visible due to shield can.

I have read somewhere in a forum that first Signalyst DSC1 included a transistor I/V output but the transformer output should sound better. A transformer is soundwise never 100 % transparent as you could also confirm by your experience. Would like to try transformer less version of the DAC. Anyone has a Signalyst DSD w/o transformer output and can share details?

Hi!
I use this Transformer on board. ( the sample image under)

2- if you need the sound thick and more the sample AD1865 sound,
you can use 2 cap 10nF to 15nf to Board (see image)
thanks
quanghao

Attachments

• Cap filter.jpg
    Cap filter.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 395
On StarDAC PCB the port 38 (ASRC_REF_CLK_IN) of CT7302 is connected to empty large solder pad. I guess the current firmware does not support external clock reference. Are there plans to support precision external clock with later firmware versions?

Yes it is possible add an external clock but after many tests I have not found benefits in using another external oscillator.
I have published some measurements.

Yes it is possible add an external clock but after many tests I have not found benefits in using another external oscillator.

Why do you think the manufacturer of CT7302 recommends an external reference clock when high quality reproduction is desired (as shown below from their documentation)?

Maybe they don't know what they are doing? Or maybe jitter performance was not among the measurements performed for this DAC design? As you can see I am a bit confused about the apparent contradiction :confused:

Attachments

• CT7302 ext clock.jpg
    CT7302 ext clock.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Why do you think the manufacturer of CT7302 recommends an external reference clock when high quality reproduction is desired (as shown below from their documentation)?

Maybe they don't know what they are doing? Or maybe jitter performance was not among the measurements performed for this DAC design? As you can see I am a bit confused about the apparent contradiction :confused:

This is a common application where we have a normal DAC with MCLK input so in this case a unique master clock is better.
In our case we need to remember that the DSC does not use MCLK.

@ quanghao: What is the difference between the DSC2 and Star Pure ? which according to you has the best resolution / low distortion and perhaps why ?

Asking because I have not experienced either and kinda want some input.

Thanks.

DSC2 need DSD input signal so you can play only DSD tracks, to play PCM tracks you need an on-the-fly convertion on the PC with many cpu load.
It is possible configure audio players like Foobar2000, Jriver or HQPlayer to do this job.

Star DAC use the same digital to analog convertion of the DSC2 but there is the chip CT7302PL to convert the signal from PCM to DSD.
This chip can receive also spdif input and integrate a good volume control.

Last edited: