STAR Pure DSD DAC-Signalyst New

How does is sound is the question, say, compared to Holo Audio – May DAC | Kitsune HiFi - HoloAudio USA ?

Yes, great question Mark. There is only so much time to try all these options, as
you well know. :)

I had considered going down this discrete DSD DAC route myself but looked
at the various possible strengths versus liabilities. In the end I decided that a
few of the IC DAC's that are capable of native DSD playback are essentially
doing a similar thing as in passing the DSD stream to a unity weighted OP
architecture. The advantage of the IC's is they have more unity weighted
'bits' , more flexibility WRT low pass filter options and greater dynamic
range and lower distortion.

But that's not to say they will sound better.

The CT7302 is of more interest. It potentially solves a lot of issues.... and creates others. :)

WRT Holo May - quite an achievement by any measure and it measures
staggeringly well for an R2R DAC... for any DAC. Really impressive design.
I think he took inspiration from Dan Lavry's original discrete R2R DAC.

TCD

How does is sound is the question, say, compared to Holo Audio – May DAC | Kitsune HiFi - HoloAudio USA ?

iFi Audio – Accessory – Gemini 3.0
$379.00 – $529.00
Introducing iFi’s latest Gemini cable, isolate your power and music signals, now with USB 3.0 ‘B’ Connector.*

Hmm.. digital protocol with error correction. Needs rechecking anyway... for a *cough*little price..

A sub-company under Holo Audio's parent company sells this...

Sort of destroys any respect for Holo Audio..

We are still working on continuing!
This PCB model has inputs
1-i2s
2-USB - amnero
3.AES
4-Torxl
5- RCA

Output: 2 x I2s
Chip: CT7302
Remote control!
Invite you to see the PCB picture, thanks a lot!
Quanghao

Attachments

• Board HQ-Digital Decoder1.PNG
    Board HQ-Digital Decoder1.PNG
    314.1 KB · Views: 424
  • Board HQ-Digital Decoder2.PNG
    Board HQ-Digital Decoder2.PNG
    174.3 KB · Views: 427
  • Board HQ-Digital Decoder3.PNG
    Board HQ-Digital Decoder3.PNG
    234.9 KB · Views: 423
  • Board HQ-Digital Decoder4.PNG
    Board HQ-Digital Decoder4.PNG
    259 KB · Views: 416
  • Board HQ-Digital Decoder5.PNG
    Board HQ-Digital Decoder5.PNG
    582.7 KB · Views: 420
Joined 2004
Paid Member
STAR Pure DSD DAC experience

Hi Quang Hao,

I have been listening to music with your STAR Pure DSD DAC for a week. I bought the STAR DAC to play HiRes and DSD files on same high quality level I get used with my Gungnir Multibit DAC for standard sampling rates and bit depths.

After some days of listening I must say that I am currently not satisfied with listening experience, regardless of sampling rates and formats (source was USB and Optical input, Player JRiver). The STAR DAC adds an unnatural irritating glare in upper frequency, lacks body, musicality and 3D stage compared to Gungnir Multibit DAC.

The DAC is connected balanced to a Neurochrome Parallel-86 amplifier. The Parallel-86 amplifier uses a THAT-1200 Differential input stage having an impedance of (from THAT-1200 datasheet):

Input Impedance ZIN-DIFF Differential: 48.0 kΩ
ZIN-CM Common mode with bootstrap: 60 Hz 10.0 MΩ
ZIN-CM Common mode with bootstrap: 20 kHz 3.2 MΩ
Power Bandwith of Parallel-86 Amp: 77 kHz

Are there any modifications on STAR DAC output transformer resistors required to drive above load with less possible distortion or can you suggest a transformer less output stage?
The output of CT7302 is set to 8 x DSD. Is this rate fix?

Attachments

• tmp_THAT-1200.png
    tmp_THAT-1200.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Hi Quang Hao,

HI!

may be you setup not good?

you use pre after DAC or direct to play??

now follow me setup:
1- The gain setup +6dB DSD all or 0dB.
2- Volume : 0dB, if you use Pream
3- Output: DSD x8

Note: in the Oput DSD x1 , 2, 4,8, you can setup for test with you like
***The sound will change with the choice of DSD x1-DSDx8,
High resolution audio will be less than at DSD x1, and warm and natural sound will be better at DSDx8.

Try it and let me know the result. thank you!***
thank your advice!
quanghao

Hi Quang Hao,

I have been listening to music with your STAR Pure DSD DAC for a week. I bought the STAR DAC to play HiRes and DSD files on same high quality level I get used with my Gungnir Multibit DAC for standard sampling rates and bit depths.

After some days of listening I must say that I am currently not satisfied with listening experience, regardless of sampling rates and formats (source was USB and Optical input, Player JRiver). The STAR DAC adds an unnatural irritating glare in upper frequency, lacks body, musicality and 3D stage compared to Gungnir Multibit DAC.

The DAC is connected balanced to a Neurochrome Parallel-86 amplifier. The Parallel-86 amplifier uses a THAT-1200 Differential input stage having an impedance of (from THAT-1200 datasheet):

Input Impedance ZIN-DIFF Differential: 48.0 kΩ
ZIN-CM Common mode with bootstrap: 60 Hz 10.0 MΩ
ZIN-CM Common mode with bootstrap: 20 kHz 3.2 MΩ
Power Bandwith of Parallel-86 Amp: 77 kHz

Are there any modifications on STAR DAC output transformer resistors required to drive above load with less possible distortion or can you suggest a transformer less output stage?
The output of CT7302 is set to 8 x DSD. Is this rate fix?

First we have to clarify if the problem you describe is a sound timbre or a real distortion.

The load of That1200 is not a problem because the ideal output load for this DSC DAC is 10Kohm or more.

Have you tried to change the interconnect cable ?

Have you set the amplification to 0dB or +6dB DSD ONLY in setup menu ?

To avoid any doubt about the distortion you could do a simple measurement with a pc sound card with line input and Arta software.

I can help you to make this test.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have you tried to change the interconnect cable ?

Have you set the amplification to 0dB or +6dB DSD ONLY in setup menu ?

To avoid any doubt about the distortion you could do a simple measurement with a pc sound card with line input and Arta software.

I can help you to make this test.

No, I did not try other interconnect cable yet. Its a Supra cable I have been using for years.

Amplification is not active, I am using the attenuator function of STAR DAC which I guess could cause the sound quality degeneration. Will use an passive attenuator and do some measurements next days.