Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

RPi4 + IANCANADA ES9038Q2M double-mono DAC + IANCANADA FiFoPi Ultimate questions
RPi4 + IANCANADA ES9038Q2M double-mono DAC + IANCANADA FiFoPi Ultimate questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2019, 10:01 PM   #21
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 RPi4 + IANCANADA ES9038Q2M double-mono DAC + IANCANADA FiFoPi Ultimate questions
Some people want their kit to make sounds that them happy, some want it to measure well. Some want a dollop of both, neither is more correct than the other.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:31 PM   #22
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Some people want their kit to make sounds that them happy, some want it to measure well. Some want a dollop of both, neither is more correct than the other.
And when it measures superbly but does not make you happy ?
Old 17th November 2019, 01:07 AM   #23
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
Any audio gear. Within the context of entertainment, beyond a certain point the numbers are moot and DBT is irrelevant. If I don't like it, I don't like and if I do, I do. I would imagine that goes for many other listeners as well. The primary objective is to please me, the end user, and if in doing so the numbers mob and the DBT clowns are happy that's all to the good. If not,...
You are misunderstanding what's been posted. Markw4 posted unsubstantiated audibility claims on this forum and I challenged him. I didn't challenge his own entertainment via his audio gear at his own place.

You need to get a better grip on what's going on before calling members clowns because if you don't, that would be clownish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
And when it measures superbly but does not make you happy ?
That would be the person's emotional issue, not audio. Number of factors can cause that and one of them is FUD spread by audio electronics sellers.
Old 17th November 2019, 01:08 AM   #24
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
You didn't even bother to look at the measurements of typical DAC shown on Stereophile site, did you.
Is that a question? There's a missing '?'.

There's no such thing as a 'typical DAC' - point to one in particular.
Old 17th November 2019, 03:57 AM   #25
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
You are misunderstanding what's been posted. Markw4 posted unsubstantiated audibility claims on this forum and I challenged him. I didn't challenge his own entertainment via his audio gear at his own place.
I fully understand what has been posted. I simply place the same value on your tests as I would on his claims of audibility in that they are of limited use.

Quote:
You need to get a better grip on what's going on before calling members clowns because if you don't, that would be clownish.
I've always thought DBT to be one of the dafter test methods when applied to audio. What use to me are conclusions drawn from a snapshot ?

Quote:
That would be the person's emotional issue, not audio. Number of factors can cause that and one of them is FUD spread by audio electronics sellers.
I suppose that is the only perspective with which you are capable viewing the issue.
Old 17th November 2019, 09:52 AM   #26
samoloko is offline samoloko  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default Balanced Out with ES9038

Regarding Balanced out XLR output,
what do you think about this offer ACCALIA ES9038PRO finished board Input: coaxial, optical,USB Output: RCA ,XLR-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress
Old 17th November 2019, 10:58 AM   #27
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoloko View Post
Have you considered building one tailored to your needs.
Old 17th November 2019, 01:30 PM   #28
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what do you think about this offer...
I know of people who have modded those boards to make them sound better. Lots of work. Almost everything has to be changed out for best results.

Also, the stereo separation is not very good since AVCC_L and AVCC_R are tied together down inside the mulitilayer board. Probably not practical to fix that.

If you have already have a dac you like and balanced outputs are needed, you could build or buy an opamp balancing circuit for it. Or, transformers can be used to do it.

Last edited by Markw4; 17th November 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 17th November 2019, 01:38 PM   #29
samoloko is offline samoloko  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

I realized that opamps In first stage In link I posted are single and not double like true balanced require etc using four signal Iouts from es9038 per channel
It Is like this even at dual es9038pro pcbs

Last edited by samoloko; 17th November 2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 17th November 2019, 01:52 PM   #30
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I realized that opamps In first stage In link I posted are single and not double like true balanced require etc using four signal Iouts from es9038 per channel
It Is like this even at dual es9038pro pcbs
Samoloko,
Not sure what you are getting at.

It is possible to tie all ES9028PRO outputs together in groups of four, then run them through two single I/V opamps.

IIRC, ES9038PRO has too much output current for that method without using buffered opamps. If so, and a board uses only two unbuffered I/V opamps then it should be that not all the dac outputs are used.

Last edited by Markw4; 17th November 2019 at 02:06 PM.

RPi4 + IANCANADA ES9038Q2M double-mono DAC + IANCANADA FiFoPi Ultimate questionsHide this!Advertise here!