Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

RPi4 + IANCANADA ES9038Q2M double-mono DAC + IANCANADA FiFoPi Ultimate questions
RPi4 + IANCANADA ES9038Q2M double-mono DAC + IANCANADA FiFoPi Ultimate questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
On a more limited budget a very good Allo setup can be put together for around $500. One could also spend more.

Soon Gustard and Topping will have AK4499 dacs for around $1,000 which will probably sound considerably better than their previous offerings.

However, for around $1,000 one could diy an AK4499 board that would almost certainly sound better.
Unless this is early 90's, one properly functioning DAC sounding better than another properly functioning DAC has been debunked by level matched double blind listening tests.
Old 15th November 2019, 01:06 AM   #12
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

For medical research:
http://robotics.cs.tamu.edu/RSS2015N...ed.0020124.pdf
...hearing research is medical.

Last edited by Markw4; 15th November 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 15th November 2019, 02:27 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
...hearing research is medical.
I doubt you can cite one level matched double blind listening test of DACs that's false. You don't like the result but you can't find a fault, can you?
Old 16th November 2019, 01:33 AM   #14
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
Unless this is early 90's, one properly functioning DAC sounding better than another properly functioning DAC has been debunked by level matched double blind listening tests.
Could you possibly define properly functioning.

TCD
Old 16th November 2019, 01:56 AM   #15
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Demol View Post

+1. The definition needs to allow anyone to determine whether any given DAC meets the criteria for entry into the category of 'properly functioning'.
Old 16th November 2019, 06:33 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Demol View Post

TCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
+1. The definition needs to allow anyone to determine whether any given DAC meets the criteria for entry into the category of 'properly functioning'.
You both have been on this forum for very long time. For you to ask such novice question is very suspicious.
To give you the benefit of the doubt, measurements of typical DAC shown on Stereophile site will help you.
Old 16th November 2019, 07:07 AM   #17
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
No definition then.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:16 AM   #18
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
I doubt you can cite one level matched double blind listening test of DACs that's false. You don't like the result but you can't find a fault, can you?
Do you not think you might be missing the point of the excercise vis-a-vis these dacs and other audio gear ?
Old 16th November 2019, 03:46 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
No definition then.
You didn't even bother to look at the measurements of typical DAC shown on Stereophile site, did you. No effort then, a.k.a. trolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
Do you not think you might be missing the point of the excercise vis-a-vis these dacs and other audio gear ?
Other audio gear, like speakers?
Old 16th November 2019, 07:47 PM   #20
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Any audio gear. Within the context of entertainment, beyond a certain point the numbers are moot and DBT is irrelevant. If I don't like it, I don't like and if I do, I do. I would imagine that goes for many other listeners as well. The primary objective is to please me, the end user, and if in doing so the numbers mob and the DBT clowns are happy that's all to the good. If not,...

RPi4 + IANCANADA ES9038Q2M double-mono DAC + IANCANADA FiFoPi Ultimate questionsHide this!Advertise here!