Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

MiniDSP 2x4 CRAP or am I doing something wrong
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Temaad is offline Temaad  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default MiniDSP 2x4 CRAP or am I doing something wrong

Hi, Decided to go MiniDSP 2mv unit to try and slightly improve the response from my 2 mono subs.
So have put it in the system & set the bass cut off frequency to 80hz, which is where my original electronic X/O cut over.
Ran the unit and very disappointing, virtually no bass output, but considerable signal going up to around 160hz. However had not played with the filtered at this point.
Can clearly hear this & also measured the response using their supplied mic & REW.
So now I have tried several boosting filter options, also setting the input & output to the max and it is still very very bad. No bass to speak off & signal still going way over the 80hz cut off.

Anyone else experienced this type of thing. Am I doing something stupidly wrong. The units have to many good reviews to be this bad.

Cheers for any replies
Old 11th October 2019, 09:16 PM   #2
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you've set something up wrong. Can you put in screenshots of your settings. It almost sounds like you've connected the subs to the high pass output not the low pass.
Old 12th October 2019, 01:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Still CRAP

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. Checked the output connection by swapping the leads to the other 2 outputs. So that's not the problem, as virtually no bass at all on those outputs, so swapped back & to orig configuration.
Understanding the unit a bit. When on the levels where it says GAIN, in fact there is no gain from the unit. Which from what I had understood is false advertising. You cannot advertise gain on a unit if it cannot apply gain, or perhaps I am wrong!!.

Tried several more ways to apply file Eq's & got to a stage where it a least nearly mimic's my current Snell active X/O

However still cannot stop it allowing frequency past the 120hz, even though I have set the X/O point to 80hz.

Attached are the best I can make this unit work, which for me is not satisfactory.

1st pic is from my Snell active X/O. Next is MiniDSP plus shots of the setting. 1 channel only shown as 2nd channel is identical.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snell.jpg (287.0 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg MiniDSP.jpg (339.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191012_125009.jpg (335.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191012_125021.jpg (334.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191012_125037.jpg (332.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 12th October 2019, 10:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok well first off lets consider the gain as this can be confusing Mini DSP can have gain BUT the output is limited to 2V (I can't x-ref the exact model you have so not sure if you have switchable input and output levels). It feels a bit backwards when you first look at it, but that is how most digital products work.

You do have a LOT of EQ gain going on 35dB is a huge amount for a digital cross over (or any crossover), so what I would do at this point is bypass both the input and output EQ and just concentrate on getting the cross over working at the right level. I would change sub crossover from a bandpass to a straight low pass for now at 80Hz and set all gains back to 0dB and see what happens.

What are you connecting this to? active subs or a power amplifier. Just trying to work out if there is a gain imbalance not considered yet.

(sorry time shifts mean this make take a little while to resolve)
Old 13th October 2019, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, again thanks for the reply, OK I did have it connected wrong, I find the MiniDSP logic very confusing. I had outputs 1 & 3 going to the bass, whereas it should be & is now 1 & 2.

have now managed to get a somewhat acceptable bass output, theoretically according to the REW measurement. but now I cannot turn up the Vol very loud. When I do the Bass amp, which is a Class D 250 watt mono amp, cuts in & out with loud bass notes.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2019, 08:42 PM   #6
ubergeeknz is online now ubergeeknz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Why do you have 2 outputs feeding a single amp, surely one mixed output would be preferable?
Old 13th October 2019, 08:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok step one sorted. And yes it can be confusing to get your head around. I worried for ages how to setup the channels on mine so I didn't get confused and I only have one sub at the moment.

In terms of the bass cut out, how much EQ gain have you got? Filling in dips in bass reponse with 'moar powa' is not recommended as a 10dB peak will require 10x power from the amp, so where a 250W amp would normally be fine, you need 2500W not to clip it. EQ out the peaks and leave the dips, with no more than 3dB of gain at any point might fix this. If not I need to look at your setup again.

We will sort this!

Bill
Old 13th October 2019, 10:02 PM   #8
lordtarquin is offline lordtarquin  England
diyAudio Member

To echo what billshurv has suggested, it's generally best to cut the peaks rather than try to fill the dips.

My miniDSP helps to drive a pair of active OB speakers with a couple of TPA3116 amps in an effectively monobloc setup. I've just rejigged the OBs, so it's back to square one with listening and measuring. However, the miniDSP really does make adjustments on the fly really easy, and I have no issues with bass performance even with OB bass.
Old 15th October 2019, 05:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the input

Hi, I have two inputs because at 60 to 80hz you can still get stereo information. So to capture that you obviously need both inputs.
I have backed the sub input off a little, I think people may always set it to high then on extended listening find it is over the top.

So currently I am fairly happy with what I have got, certainly not as good as I was hoping for. So I may need to either upgrade my bass amp or the sub's themselves.

Again cheers for the input.

MiniDSP 2x4 CRAP or am I doing something wrongHide this!Advertise here!