Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

What PA active crossover can be recommended for a hi-fi aplication?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2019, 03:42 PM   #31
snake69fast is offline snake69fast  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
The specs of the S-PRO2 modules that the STA-2000D uses are very suitable for high frequency use:

S-PRO2 - Pascal Audio

Where I might use a different amplifier would be for sub bass due to the greater power requirements.
Somebody reccommended me QSC PL 380 amplifier but I think it iis too much and I am not sure about the sound. What do you think?
Old 17th October 2019, 04:59 PM   #32
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

I use EV Dx34A xo and a Rane MA6S amp (6 channel). A 3way setup would require (2) of the xo though. EV Dx38 is 3 way capable. These are older designs,balanced input/output.

Both are dead silent as far as noice through the speakers. The fan on the amp is very quiet.

Gain structure on a system like this needs to be adressed, however. DSP xos like to have input levels such that they saturate its input levels (at the xo). This may require a unit that raises consumer electronic levels to pro input levels. Aphex makes these as do others.
Old 18th October 2019, 04:54 AM   #33
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake69fast View Post
Somebody reccommended me QSC PL 380 amplifier but I think it iis too much and I am not sure about the sound. What do you think?
Lots of power, but not that impressive numbers for critical listening.
Old 18th October 2019, 12:54 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Lots of power, but not that impressive numbers for critical listening.
Alternatives?

It is possible to use the IMG STAGELINE 2000D with only one entry and an all the power to four speakers (woofers in this case)?
Old 18th October 2019, 01:29 PM   #35
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

I just run my woofers in parallel for a 4ohm load, if you need more power you can get 2 x 1000w from the STA 2000D instead of 4 * 280w8ohm/500w4ohm. If my memory serves me correct there's a switch on back. I can take a picture when I get home.

But I do not need any more power for my woofers, have not yet managed to the the limiters to light up, even when testing with hearing protection.

Edit:
Added a picture of my den.

Edit2:
In my opinion, not much point in pushing more than 120w maybe +3db on peaks, so lets say 240 watts per driver, over that you start getting less value for your oomph, so to speak. Thermal compression, path of diminishing returns etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191010_184547.jpg (730.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by KaffiMann; 18th October 2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 18th October 2019, 07:13 PM   #36
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Here's a picture of the extra speakons for bridged connection, as well as the impedance switches.

IMO 2kw is just barely on the sane side of regular wall sockets (and fuses), at least over time. Amplifiers that provide more actual power than this (and not silly marketing watts), require properly dimensioned grid connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191018_195619.jpg (724.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 19th October 2019, 12:02 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Here's a picture of the extra speakons for bridged connection, as well as the impedance switches.

IMO 2kw is just barely on the sane side of regular wall sockets (and fuses), at least over time. Amplifiers that provide more actual power than this (and not silly marketing watts), require properly dimensioned grid connection.

Spotless point of view! How I like it
OK, I'll go for the IMG's with three question for the future: better amps for the subs, better amp fort the high frequencies, better drivers. Fix will be: active crossovers, open baffle, current DAC

Last edited by snake69fast; 19th October 2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spell
Old 19th October 2019, 05:13 AM   #38
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

My choice for an active crossover would be a BSS Soundweb London box, but even used that will set you back $500 at a minimum. Of course, you can do a whole lot more than active crossovers with that.

Some of the big old Crest amps are pretty good. I have no problem with Class D (It's a pretty cool technology), but I think some of the best linear power amps ever made were from the 1990s.

What PA active crossover can be recommended for a hi-fi aplication?Hide this!Advertise here!