SRC4392 problem with DIR / SPDIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m usi SRC4392 as follows:

SPDIF input (96kHz, 400mV p-p) —> RX2 DIR (MCLK) —> PORTA (as master, MCLK, 96 kHz)

When check with oscilloscope
- SPDIF signal ok
- MCLK ok, 24.576 MHz
- LRCLK ok, 96 kHz
- BCK ok, 6.144 MHz
- SDOUTA - no signal

I have also checked /LOCK pin and it is high - DIR unlocked.
Any idea what can be wrong?

Registers are configured as follow:

- 01 3F - power all on
- 7F 00 - page 00
- 03 29 - DIR to PORTA, 24b I2S, master
- 04 01 - MCLK, /256
- 0D 09 - RX2 input, MCLK
- 0F 22 - 24.576 MHz
- 10 00
- 11 00

When read registers they are configured properly (besides 01 which is triggering reset when I read it)

I have also programmed interrupts (unmasked, level) for audio signal and DIR lock:

- 16 24
- 18 20
- 19 08

And when I read reg 14 I’m getting 04 - DIR not locked.

Any idea what to do differently? It seems that receiver DIR is not getting inout SPDIF signal to PORTA...

Shouldn't 04 01 be 04 08? Presumably the master clock is not synchronous with the SPDIF data stream.

For what it's worth, I use these values to get an DIX4192 to send its SPDIF data to port A, and a DIX4192 is supposed to be firmware compatible with the SRC4392 as long as you only use the serial ports and S/PDIF interfaces:

// All address and data values hexadecimal!
// Address 01, value 32: DIR on, DIT off, port B off, port A on,
// general enable on, reset off.
// address 03, value 29: port A in master mode, signal from DIR, audio not muted, 24 bits I2S
// address 04, value 08: RXCKO divided by 128 as LRCKA
// address 0D, value 08: RXCLK to MCLK, input 0 to DIR
// address 0E, value 1D: sound muted when the DIR is not locked, clock from
// PLL2 divided by 4 (assumes 44.1 kHz sample rate, I update it later),
// RXCKO output on, PLL2 free-running when out of lock
// addresses 0F...11, values 21CB02: PLL1 set to P = 2, J = 7, D = 2818, as
// recommended with a 27 MHz reference clock

Thanks Marcel - I believe reg 04 is to configure clock source for PORTA when running as master. This clock source can be either MCLK, RXCKI or RXCKO. I'm using MCLK as a clock for all blocks (DIR and PORTA).

ACLK[1:0] Port A Master Clock Source
These bits are used to set the master clock source for Port A when configured for Master mode
operation.
ACLK1 ACLK0 Master Clock Source
0 0 MCLK (Default)
0 1 RXCKI
1 0 RXCKO
1 1 Reserved

Do you think the clock for PORTA should be RXCKO? (is RXCKO internally routed between DIR output and PORTA input?)

Shouldn't 04 01 be 04 08? Presumably the master clock is not synchronous with the SPDIF data stream.

For what it's worth, I use these values to get an DIX4192 to send its SPDIF data to port A, and a DIX4192 is supposed to be firmware compatible with the SRC4392 as long as you only use the serial ports and S/PDIF interfaces:

// All address and data values hexadecimal!
// Address 01, value 32: DIR on, DIT off, port B off, port A on,
// general enable on, reset off.
// address 03, value 29: port A in master mode, signal from DIR, audio not muted, 24 bits I2S
// address 04, value 08: RXCKO divided by 128 as LRCKA
// address 0D, value 08: RXCLK to MCLK, input 0 to DIR
// address 0E, value 1D: sound muted when the DIR is not locked, clock from
// PLL2 divided by 4 (assumes 44.1 kHz sample rate, I update it later),
// RXCKO output on, PLL2 free-running when out of lock
// addresses 0F...11, values 21CB02: PLL1 set to P = 2, J = 7, D = 2818, as
// recommended with a 27 MHz reference clock

Its been awhile since I programmed SRC4392, but we can probably figure it out together.

IIRC, an incoming SPDIF stream was clocked by the source sending it out. Therefore the DIR must be synced to the VCO clock derived from the SPDIF receiver. The incoming audio then gets routed to the SRC to get resampled in time with the MCLK (or RXCKI) crystal clock. The SRC output frequency is set is set to some divided MCLK value. (There are two clock input pins to allow resampling to either 44k or 48k family output sample rates, and or for other possible design scenarios) The SRC output gets routed to a PCM serial port.

Also, IIRC, the only way to avoid having to resample incoming SPDIF might be if the SPDIF source was synced to the SRC4392 SPDIF output (or otherwise somehow synced to MCLK).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Mark. Originally I used DIR —> SRC —> PORTA but sometimes it worked but sometimes not. So I decided to go step by step and route DIR —> PORTA first. Using SPDIF signal with 96 kHz LRCLK as well as setting up PORTA with MCLK 24.576 MHz divided by 256.

My understanding is that DIR can be used with external MCLK 24.576 MHz (specified by registers 0F, 10, 11) while internal PLL is able to lock to wide range of frequencies like 44.1, 48, ... 96 kHz.

Do you think that there is anything wring with this configuration?

Its been awhile since I programmed SRC4392, but we can probably figure it out together.

IIRC, an incoming SPDIF stream was clocked by the source sending it out. Therefore the DIR must be synced to the VCO clock derived from the SPDIF receiver. The incoming audio then gets routed to the SRC to get resampled in time with the MCLK (or RXCKI) crystal clock. The SRC output frequency is set is set to some divided MCLK value. (There are two clock input pins to allow resampling to either 44k or 48k family output sample rates, and or for other possible design scenarios) The SRC output gets routed to a PCM serial port.

Also, IIRC, the only way to avoid having to resample incoming SPDIF might be if the SPDIF source was synced to the SRC4392 SPDIF output (or otherwise somehow synced to MCLK).

...I decided to go step by step and route DIR —> PORTA first. Using SPDIF signal with 96 kHz LRCLK as well as setting up PORTA with MCLK 24.576 MHz divided by 256.

My understanding is that DIR can be used with external MCLK 24.576 MHz (specified by registers 0F, 10, 11) while internal PLL is able to lock to wide range of frequencies like 44.1, 48, ... 96 kHz.

Do you think that there is anything wrong with this configuration?

Yes, it sounds like it could be a problem. Pass though of SPDIF input to Port A out without SRC will only work if the SPDIF embedded clock is synchronous with SRC4392 MCLK. Otherwise, what if the system sending SPDIF is running from a clock that is actually 44.104kHz and MCLK produces and LRCK of actually at 44.097KHz? There are going to be more incoming words than outgoing. What is SRC4392 going to do in that case? It doesn't just throw away the extra words that are coming in a slightly too fast. Instead it drops lock.

As a result of problems more or less like that, everything either needs to run sync'ed to one master clock, or else SRC has to be used to resample data to work with the receiver crystal clock. Of course, it could be as Marcel suggested, just use the SPDIF receiver PLL-based clock as the one master clock source for everything, but then the Port A output will probably more jittery than if a crystal clock were used along with resampling. You have to choose your poison, so to speak. Suffer the consequences of resampling or suffer more jittery PCM output.

If you tried using SRC before and it only worked sometimes, could be there is some other problem? Did you try troubleshooting with a scope and or look at the SRC SPDIF status registers for possible clues?

Also, I might mention that besides using a low-jitter clock for SRC, it can help some more to put the clock on its own dedicated LDO regulator attached to the SRC4392 ground plane and located close to the clock module. Same type of thing we do with dacs to help minimize jitter. In addition, SRC4392 is an excellent SRC (as hardware SRCs go) so probably no worries about hurting sound quality by resampling. When resampling for whatever reason, it usually seems to sound best to upsample as much as reasonably possible. Say, perhaps to 192kHz. Might we worth a try to see if you think it sounds better.

Last edited:

I agree with Mark: you need the I2S clocks to be synchronized with the S/PDIF rate. Like I wrote, one way to do that is to use the clock from the S/PDIF receiver's PLL for the I2S interface.

There is something funny about the DIX4192/SRC4392 S/PDIF receiver when you want to use it over a large range of sample rates and want to use the clock it recovers as the clock for one of its I2S interfaces. You have to read out a parameter RXCKR which indicates the ratio between the output frequency of PLL2 of the DIX4192 and the sample rate, and then update RXCKOD accordingly. This sets the division ratio of the post divider of PLL2. I use the following Verilog code (plus code that actually reads RXCKR and writes RXCKOD via SPI) to always get a clock at 128 times the sample rate, like the I2S interface requires when ADIV1 = ADIV0 = 0:

always @ *
begin
case (rxckr)
2'b00: rxckod = 2'b00;
2'b01: rxckod = 2'b00;
2'b10: rxckod = 2'b01;
2'b11: rxckod = 2'b10;
endcase
end

Last edited:
Well, I can go back the original setup DIR —> SRC —> PORTA but also in this case there is no output signal at PORTA output (it somehow worked before with the same req setup, but not stable and not working right now). What I used in this case as setup is:

- DIR using MCLK, PLL setup for 24.576 MHZ (reg 0F, 10, 11) - input SPDIF signal 44.1 kHz or 96 kHz (tried both), routed to SRC

- SRC using MCLK, output LRCLK freq 96 kHz routed to PORTA

- PORTA using MCLK 24.576 MHz, div 256, master, 96 kHz

Is there anything wrong with this setup? I thought it should be ok to use MCLK as source clock for DIR, SRC and PORTA. Or not?

Yes, it sounds like it could be a problem. Pass though of SPDIF input to Port A out without SRC will only work if the SPDIF embedded clock is synchronous with SRC4392 MCLK. Otherwise, what if the system sending SPDIF is running from a clock that is actually 44.104kHz and MCLK produces and LRCK of actually at 44.097KHz? There are going to be more incoming words than outgoing. What is SRC4392 going to do in that case? It doesn't just throw away the extra words that are coming in a slightly too fast. Instead it drops lock.

As a result of problems more or less like that, everything either needs to run sync'ed to one master clock, or else SRC has to be used to resample data to work with the receiver crystal clock. Of course, it could be as Marcel suggested, just use the SPDIF receiver PLL-based clock as the one master clock source for everything, but then the Port A output will probably more jittery than if a crystal clock were used along with resampling. You have to choose your poison, so to speak. Suffer the consequences of resampling or suffer more jittery PCM output.

If you tried using SRC before and it only worked sometimes, could be there is some other problem? Did you try troubleshooting with a scope and or look at the SRC SPDIF status registers for possible clues?

Also, I might mention that besides using a low-jitter clock for SRC, it can help some more to put the clock on its own dedicated LDO regulator attached to the SRC4392 ground plane and located close to the clock module. Same type of thing we do with dacs to help minimize jitter. In addition, SRC4392 is an excellent SRC (as hardware SRCs go) so probably no worries about hurting sound quality by resampling. When resampling for whatever reason, it usually seems to sound best to upsample as much as reasonably possible. Say, perhaps to 192kHz. Might we worth a try to see if you think it sounds better.

Thanks Marcel. So if I go with SPDIF —> DIR —> SRC —> PORTA I2S setup while having SPDIF input freq 44.1 kHz - 192 kHz and SRC / PORTA output freq fix 96 kHz what is the right clock routing for DIR, SRC and PORTA? (I do have an on board 24.576 MHz oscillator on board which I used for all three DIR, SRC and PORTA now, PORTA as master using MCLK)

I agree with Mark: you need the I2S clocks to be synchronized with the S/PDIF rate. Like I wrote, one way to do that is to use the clock from the S/PDIF receiver's PLL for the I2S interface.

There is something funny about the DIX4192/SRC4392 S/PDIF receiver when you want to use it over a large range of sample rates and want to use the clock it recovers as the clock for one of its I2S interfaces. You have to read out a parameter RXCKR which indicates the ratio between the output frequency of PLL2 of the DIX4192 and the sample rate, and then update RXCKOD accordingly. This sets the division ratio of the post divider of PLL2. I use the following Verilog code (plus code that actually reads RXCKR and writes RXCKOD via SPI) to always get a clock at 128 times the sample rate, like the I2S interface requires when ADIV1 = ADIV0 = 0:

always @ *
begin
case (rxckr)
2'b00: rxckod = 2'b00;
2'b01: rxckod = 2'b00;
2'b10: rxckod = 2'b01;
2'b11: rxckod = 2'b10;
endcase
end

Thanks Marcel. So if I go with SPDIF —> DIR —> SRC —> PORTA I2S setup while having SPDIF input freq 44.1 kHz - 192 kHz and SRC / PORTA output freq fix 96 kHz what is the right clock routing for DIR, SRC and PORTA? (I do have an on board 24.576 MHz oscillator on board which I used for all three DIR, SRC and PORTA now, PORTA as master using MCLK)

That sounds good, which is why I start to wonder whether there might be something wrong with the input application circuit or the input selection. Do all four inputs not work?

Is there anything wrong with this setup? I thought it should be ok to use MCLK as source clock for DIR, SRC and PORTA. Or not?

Trying to refresh my memory for resampling SPDIF, seems like I used the following settings (among others):

Register 0D: Receiver Reference Clock
RXCLK = 0 ;RXCKI

Register 03: Port A Control 1
AM/S = 1 ; Port A is I2S Master
ACLK [1:0] = 00 ;MCLK (default)
AOUT[1:0] = 11 ;SRC

Register 2D: SRC Control 1
SRCIS[1:0] = 10 ;DIR
SRCCLK[1:0] = 00 ;MCLK

I’m using coax SPDIF input - 75 ohm to GND and 2x 0.1 uF capacitors to RX+ and RX- pins - standard non-isolated connection per SRC4392 datashet. Tried to switch to different input too (RX2 —> RX3) and it started working. However when I switched back to RX2 it started working too. After some time it didn’t work again. It seems like it is somehow unstable. I tried different SPDIF sources and it doesn’t help.

Also checked SPDIF input with scope - it is 400mV p-p signal, good shape, no oscillations.

My thoughts process was to eliminate SRC and let basic configuration SPDIF —> DIR —> PORTA (I2S, master) working with 96 kHz input-output signal and MCLK as source clock for both DIR and PORTA. But no success - I can see LRCLK and BCK signals on PORTA but no data. As /LOCK pin of SRC4392 is high I thought the issue is with DIR not being able to lock. But not sure why or what can be wrong.

That sounds good, which is why I start to wonder whether there might be something wrong with the input application circuit or the input selection. Do all four inputs not work?

It is not easy to get an access to RXCKI and RXCKO pins (no soldering pads) as I only planned to use MCLK. Btw, if I use external clock source 24.576MHz, what would be different if I connect this signal to both MCLK and RXCKI? I think there is a PLL running in DIR which makes it ok to work with MCLK too. Or not?

One idea - would help to use DIR recovered clock (RXCKO) as a clock for SRC and PORTA instead of using MCLK?

My understand from the datasheet is that I can use MCLK for all DIR, SRC and PORTA, but as mentioned it seems that something is wrong as I can get the data out of PORTA.

Datasheet says:

"The SRC4392 includes two clock inputs, MCLK (pin 25) and RXCKI (pin 13). The MCLK clock input is typically
used as the master clock source for the audio serial ports, the DIT, and/or the SRC. The MCLK may also be
utilized as the reference clock for the DIR. The RXCKI clock input is typically used for the DIR reference clock
source, although it may also be used as the master or reference clock source for the audio serial ports and/or the
SRC.
In addition to the MCLK and RXCKI clock sources, the DIR core recovers a master clock from the AES3-
encoded input data stream. This clock is suitable for use as a master or system clock source in many
applications. The recovered master clock output, RXCKO (pin 12), may be utilized as the master or reference
clock source for the audio serial ports, the DIT, and/or the SRC, as well as external audio devices."

Don't think you should be using MCLK as Receiver Reference Clock. Did you try changing it to RXCKI as I mentioned above? If so, what happened?

Hmmm. Don't think I ever had an SRC4392 board that didn't tie RXCKO and RXCKI, and that includes an SRC4392 evaluation board. Both the crystal clocks were tied to MCLK and there were switches to disable either one or both, and optionally to use an external clock source.

Also programmed one on a miniDSP SRC board, and programmed one in a Chinese SRC4392 board from Aliexpress.

They all worked with SPDIF inputs, but IIRC, they all had RXCKO tied to RXCKI. However, its been a few years and I think most of my old notes are gone now.

EDIT: In any case its and old part and it seemed that some experimentation was required to get it to work. I know I wasn't the only person to have some trouble figuring out how to get it to work from what is said in the the data sheet.

There may still be some support engineers at TI you could call and ask about the problem you are having.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Tried TI support but no feedback so far.
I’m still not sure what is the difference of RXCKI vs MCLK clock source for DIR. if use my external clock 24.576 MHz is there any difference if I connect it to MCLK or RXCKI pin?

Actually if I forget about PORTA I2S output and optional SRC for now - how do I check if the DIR is working properly? /LOCK pin down?

Is 400mV p-p SPDIF input signal ok?

Hmmm. Don't think I ever had an SRC4392 board that didn't tie RXCKO and RXCKI, and that includes an SRC4392 evaluation board. Both the crystal clocks were tied to MCLK and there were switches to disable either one or both, and optionally to use an external clock source.

Also programmed one on a miniDSP SRC board, and programmed one in a Chinese SRC4392 board from Aliexpress.

They all worked with SPDIF inputs, but IIRC, they all had RXCKO tied to RXCKI. However, its been a few years and I think most of my old notes are gone now.

EDIT: In any case its and old part and it seemed that some experimentation was required to get it to work. I know I wasn't the only person to have some trouble figuring out how to get it to work from what is said in the the data sheet.

There may still be some support engineers at TI you could call and ask about the problem you are having.

The DIX4192 in my valve DAC, see page 3 of the attachment, has no connection between RXCKO and RXCKI and its DIR works fine with the register settings I posted earlier, in post #2. The signal sdclock that is connected to the MCLK input is a 27 MHz clock that has no relation with the sample rate of the incoming signals.

The signal from the DIX4192 first goes through an FPGA board and is then routed to the SRC4392 via I2S. The SRC4392 also has no connection between RXCKO and RXCKI.

Attachments

• KiCadtop_schematic.pdf
    538.4 KB · Views: 85
If any interest in trying it, seems like it should be reasonably easy to tie RXCKO and RXCKI together since they are right next to each other at one corner of the chip.

Otherwise, Marcel's approach might work too.

May I ask what this is for? Going into a dac or something? If so, Sabre, AKM, etc.?
Also, is this a for a one-off DIY project, anticipated commercial application, other?

Those things may matter as to what ultimate solution would be good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.