How can i solder a USB type-B connector on my Khadas Tone board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys

I would like to solder a USB type-B connector on my tone board. The tone board has a GPIO header with 40 pins which can be used for dyi, including an alternate USB connector.

My issue is that there are 2 rows of pins (holes), both rows have the same pins.

As you can see in the manual Khadas Tone Board User Manual | Khadas Docs

Meaning that the 4 pins needed for an alternate USB port are all on the same row.
5qDZowC.png

However with USB type-B the 4 pins are split in to 2 rows

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Basically if i would solder the USB type-B connector on the tone board the connector would only fit in to the wrong holes (pins) as you can see in the image here (the squares represent the 4 pins the connector would use) and that would obviously not work

Hope you understand my point

How can i solve this problem?

Best regards and thank you

You don't say whether the Khadas board is inside a box or not and the layout of the kit if there's a case involved... Find a way to solder the USB type-B connector on a small perforated/drilled for pins board, secure the board (or above) very close to the Tone board and use the Khadas board with a pre-plugged USB cable if the bord is inside a case.

It's not in a case, its just a PCB.....snip... Concerning the adapter board that you showed me. Wouldn't that degrade signal/audio quality?
Is there not a more direct solution?

The 'direct solution' is to buy the specific ready-made USB cable, chop one end and solder the loose wires DIRECTLY on the board. If you are not quite a DIY person find a shop that can do this for a small fee... By the way @Drone7's find is a great solution!... Worry not, there's no perceptible degradation of the 'sound'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.