T.Racks DSP 4x4 Mini newbie questions

Hello,

I am looking to buy the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini – Thomann UK.

However I dont have any idea how they work. As much as I understand connection scheme looks like this: Pc -> cable 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm -> DSP 4x4 -> 6.3 mm to RCA -> Amplifier #1, #2, #3, #4 -> Speaker set #1, #2, #3, #4.

1. DSP has 4 inputs, but if I use one input from my computer, can I use 4 outputs or each output channel need separate input?
2. With 4 amps I should be able to do 4 way crossover and with 1 amp accordingly 1 way crossover?
3. What's the difference between balanced and unbalanced input?
4. Lets say I configure the DSP do I need to keep USB cable connected to the computer?
5. Some DSP includes vrms input and output. Should I be concerned about these numbers? If I play music from my PC to DSP and from DSP to Amplifiers I should be fine or i will need something in between, because VRms on output not gonna be enough?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi,
I am using two units at the moment.

1. You select the routing in the DSP program. I use mine as a 4 way mono crossovers - then, first input is routed to all four outputs. It is as simple as clicking a button.

2. Each line out, that is to be used, needs its own amplifier. I use a 4 ch Behringer amp + two stereo amps for a stereo 4 way system.

3. Google that. Professional gear uses balanced for noise rejection. This DSP can be used in both ways and even mixed (I have the input and one of the outpits unbalanced)

4. Somehow the preset saving does not work for me - but when I edit the default, it remembers the settings after a power cycle. So just disconnect the USB when finished.

5. No need to worry, there are level meters for all inputs and outputs, just keep everything well below clipping.

Hi,
I am using two units at the moment.

1. You select the routing in the DSP program. I use mine as a 4 way mono crossovers - then, first input is routed to all four outputs. It is as simple as clicking a button.

2. Each line out, that is to be used, needs its own amplifier. I use a 4 ch Behringer amp + two stereo amps for a stereo 4 way system.

3. Google that. Professional gear uses balanced for noise rejection. This DSP can be used in both ways and even mixed (I have the input and one of the outpits unbalanced)

4. Somehow the preset saving does not work for me - but when I edit the default, it remembers the settings after a power cycle. So just disconnect the USB when finished.

5. No need to worry, there are level meters for all inputs and outputs, just keep everything well below clipping.

Thanks for the answer! In the thomann.de shop cant find "1x6.3 mm to 2xRCA cable" it's either "1x6.3 mm to 1xRCA" or "2x6.3 mm to 2xRCA". As much as I imagine 6.3 mm should be a stereo plug, so output should be 2xRCA a common thing?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
With this unit, all inputs and outputs are mono. So for stereo two way crossover, you need to use e.g. input1 for left and input2 for right. Tge outputs are assigned in the matrix. But in any case - lots of 1x6.3 to 1xRCA is what you need. Or use RCA to RCA cable with the RCA female to 6.3 mono adapter - the ones at Thomann are cheap and good quality, I have almost 20 pieces:)

Frenquency response + measurement of input-output internal latency of only 1ms, great !
Thanks for the info about latency! I have searched an information about standalone stereo parametric EQ and finally have found this T.Racks DSP 4x4. Looks very interesting but I'm not sure if it is a right equipment for me so could I ask you for advice, please?

My ideal setup would be:

Guitar -> Focusrite Scarlett Solo -> TRacks -> headphones (PEQ, out 1,2) & studio monitors (PEQ, out 3,4)

1. Can I completely disable Gate and Compressor?
2. What is a max value of Q in parametric EQ section?
3. Does this thing have enough power for driving headphones?

Thank you!

Thank you!
Can I at least increase volume more than a little bit by T.Racks?

My Focusrite has Maximum .Output .Level .(0 .dBFS)+10 .dBu. I need to have a volume knob at 3/4 max due to my 80Ohm headphones and even this value is not enough for my speakers. I was thinking about using of little mixer (t.mix micromix 2 usb) which will definitely help me in case of volume, but T.Racks is way better in case of equalization which I need too.