Wadia 9 replacement (or compatible) display

Hi,

I have finally managed to find the reference of the original VFD.

It was manufactured by NEC and its reference is: FC20X2JA-AB.

I have uploaded its datasheet here: Download Datasheet FC20X2JA original de chez NEC.pdf from FileFactory.com

it is also available from here : https://www.datasheetarchive.com/FC20X2JA-AB-datasheet.html

The size of the display area is 96.6 x 19mm.
The Heigth of the original module is 34mm only: the PCB is quite the same heigth of the display area.

I have been searching an equivalent for days without success...
The problem is that the window drilled into the chassis is 100mm width, and the VFD that I have found exceeds this width.

I have found that the NORITAKE CU20026SCPB-T28A would be a perfect equivalent, but no way to find it...

It is simple to find this module from eBay, but as I live in Europe, the custom fees would result in a cost around 300€..... so I would like to find it from aliexpress or another source

It would be very nice if you can help me to find a compatible module !

Thank you

Hi, have you successfully replaced the Wadia 9 display?
To date it stills works but not vivid: the intensity of the display declines....
It is not yet necessary to replace it, but it will be soon.

Is it possible to only replace the VFD (desolder the old one)?
The display is not soldered: extracting it from the chassis is easy.
The problem is that the free space around the display is not big enough to replace the display by one of the displays that are still available: they are all too big to be located in the W9 chassis.

Therefore I have found only 2 solutions:

1-.Buy a compatible display (in terms of size) that you can locate in the W9 chassis: they are all second hand displays, and they are all expensive: $300

2-.Buy a smaller display (in terms of size): it can be located in the chassis, but the letters will be smaller than the original ones. These smaller displays can be bought new, but they do not fill the entire
window that is filled by the original display.

I have chosen to buy a second hand one, the same reference that is currently in my W9: it is not 100% compatible (my current W9 display has already been changed and is not the original one) but it is OK.

It is a pity that Wadia does not help his old customers regarding spare parts: unacceptable, because this device (W9) costed a fortune...
The age of the device does not justify the Wadia lack of support because other famous companies do help their customer regarding the "old" and discontinued products: for example, I have add an outstanding support from Genesis America regarding my Genesis II.5 ribbon loudspeakers, the Chief engineer has personally replied to my emails and guided me to a solution.

Wadia should do the same to preserve their brand image, but unfortunately they don't care...

Do not hesitate to ask me if you need more info (size, reference, etc...)

To date it stills works but not vivid: the intensity of the display declines....
It is not yet necessary to replace it, but it will be soon.

The display is not soldered: extracting it from the chassis is easy.
The problem is that the free space around the display is not big enough to replace the display by one of the displays that are still available: they are all too big to be located in the W9 chassis.

Therefore I have found only 2 solutions:

1-.Buy a compatible display (in terms of size) that you can locate in the W9 chassis: they are all second hand displays, and they are all expensive: $300

2-.Buy a smaller display (in terms of size): it can be located in the chassis, but the letters will be smaller than the original ones. These smaller displays can be bought new, but they do not fill the entire
window that is filled by the original display.

I have chosen to buy a second hand one, the same reference that is currently in my W9: it is not 100% compatible (my current W9 display has already been changed and is not the original one) but it is OK.

It is a pity that Wadia does not help his old customers regarding spare parts: unacceptable, because this device (W9) costed a fortune...
The age of the device does not justify the Wadia lack of support because other famous companies do help their customer regarding the "old" and discontinued products: for example, I have add an outstanding support from Genesis America regarding my Genesis II.5 ribbon loudspeakers, the Chief engineer has personally replied to my emails and guided me to a solution.

Wadia should do the same to preserve their brand image, but unfortunately they don't care...

Do not hesitate to ask me if you need more info (size, reference, etc...)
Hi, thanks for your reply. Why the second hand one is not completely compatible? Could you please share infos regarding both options? I would greatly appreciate it.
Is there anywhere a service manual of W9 available?

regards,
Karl

Why the second hand one is not completely compatible?
The second hand that I have bought is the same than the one currently working in my W9.
But the one currently in my W9 is not the original one installed by the Factory, because it is absolutely impossible to find (even second hand)
The main difference is that it does not support to be turned off: maybe it is due to the way it has been internally connected in my W9 and it could be different in other W9. I say this because the ribbon cable linking the display to the board has been slightly modified by the previous owner.
It is not a problem because these displays are very robust and last very long.
Adding a switch to "cut" the power supply of the display does not work: I have tried this but when you turn the display power supply back on, the display does not display anything.

Could you please share infos regarding both options? I would greatly appreciate it.
Sure, but I worked on this subject many years ago... so I am unsure of the following information: I should open mine and you should open yours.
Particularly, if you can send me (us) the exact reference of your display, it will help ! it is written on little white sticker glued on the display.

The display in mine is: a NEC FC20X2JA-AB unless I am wrong : the datasheet is attached for you.

The issue you will face when looking for compatible displays, is the size: there is not enough free space inside the W9 to install a larger display: open your W9 and precisely measure the available space for the display.

I have finally found the same display (second hand) than the one currently installed in my W9, but I am not at home to check the reference... I will do when I am back.
The dimensions of mine are compatible with the available space in the W9...

Please send me the exact reference of our display, and on my side I send you the exact reference of my display when I am back to home.

Is there anywhere a service manual of W9 available?
No: Wadia has never released any SM, surelly because Wadia wanted to keep secret its cutting edge technology (the W9 was a state of the art product...).

Waiting for the exact reference of your display, and I send you mine.

Attachments

• Datasheet FC20X2JA original de chez NEC.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 62