DAC chip decoupling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Murata has 10uF 0402

Thanks, I hadn't realized Murata had gotten ahead of TDK. Last time I compared the ranges TDK looked to give more comprehensive data about capacitance under bias. Now I see Murata's search capability is more powerful than TDK's but not quite as intuitive to use at first.

Very interesting to see an effective 3.4uF under bias from an 0402 size. WTG Murata.

You can compare 0402 to 0805 10uF caps with Murata SimSurfing tool and see that you will get less actual capacitance with the smaller packages.

Playing with the SimSurfing I am shocked (not being sarky either) to notice that's not always true for all package sizes. Very hard to believe but there's an 0805 showing almost twice the capacitance under bias (25V) of the highest capacitance 1206. Needs more investigation!

<later>Looks like someone screwed up as the plot of this miracle 0805 for cap vs bias looks very lack-lustre. I'm rapidly falling out of love with SimSurfing....

Last edited:
Playing with the SimSurfing I am shocked (not being sarky either) to notice that's not always true for all package sizes. Very hard to believe but there's an 0805 showing almost twice the capacitance under bias (25V) of the highest capacitance 1206. Needs more investigation!

It may only hold true for the same series (i.e. GRM to GRM). There might be other factors that dominate, but I'm used to seeing that effect within the same family anyway. Might not hold true all the time.

Nah, what I'm seeing is the tool is lying to me - its not at all trustworthy on selection for capacitance under DC bias. As a general rule it holds though I did find that the 0805 size on TDK often had better capacitance per unit volume than the 1206s.

Back to TDK then.

Could be finger trouble from me - here's what I am doing.

I want to find the most capacitance at 25V DC bias. So I put '25' in the box in the 'advanced search' (top right) and put in a range below that (1-100uF). All the other boxes I don't touch. Press 'Search'

The top two caps based on the third column 'Effective cap' now show 88.5uF in 2220 package. That's to me a very optimistic amount of capacitance left for a 100uF cap at 25V. So click on the top one then click on 'Product detail' to see its data. Scroll down for the DC bias graph and read off 44uF at 25V. Looks like an example of lying to me, what am I missing?

Could be finger trouble from me - here's what I am doing.

I want to find the most capacitance at 25V DC bias. So I put '25' in the box in the 'advanced search' (top right) and put in a range below that (1-100uF). All the other boxes I don't touch. Press 'Search'

The top two caps based on the third column 'Effective cap' now show 88.5uF in 2220 package. That's to me a very optimistic amount of capacitance left for a 100uF cap at 25V. So click on the top one then click on 'Product detail' to see its data. Scroll down for the DC bias graph and read off 44uF at 25V. Looks like an example of lying to me, what am I missing?

Ah, I'd never sorted by effective cap before. I usually just look at the graphs once I find a part via DigiKey search.

The degree of exaggeration gets worse when I restrict the search to just 1206. Top cap claims to be 7.63uF but in reality its just 1.87uF.

Contrast with TDK - 3.47uF is its best in 1206 at 25V. So looks like TDK is go-to for higher voltage or bigger package sizes?

Last edited:
The degree of exaggeration gets worse when I restrict the search to just 1206. Top cap claims to be 7.63uF but in reality its just 1.87uF.

Contrast with TDK - 3.47uF is its best in 1206 at 25V. So looks like TDK is go-to for higher voltage or bigger package sizes?

Yeah it’s a bit weird. I typically have assumed similar effective capacitances among all major manufacturers like TDK, Kemet, Murata, Taiyo Yuden, and AVX... but maybe that’s a mistake. Samsung has some very competitive offerings now but they have the smallest amount of available data.

Over here Samsung has always been cheaper than TDK. Yageo (Taiwanese) is about the cheapest but I think their data is even more sparse than Samsung's so I tend to only use them for NP0.

I haven’t tried Yageo caps, though their thick film resistors are ubiquitous in designs I see at work without issue.

For the most uses, the manufacturer of the X5R and X7R decoupling isn’t critical to device functionality, so we pick whatever is available due to the supply issues with the larger caps and let the parts guys know to prefer Murata, TDK, or Kemet parts if available.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.