Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DAC chip decoupling
DAC chip decoupling
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2019, 11:12 AM   #11
esl 63 is offline esl 63
diyAudio Member

My current board (the third one) the cap is laying more on the leads. Cant hear that the sound is more relaxed but maybe...
If you find a better way to get 4,7uF CLOSER please share it below, i will certainly take all new ideas into consideration
I also made a battery supplied differential probe that i could use for power supply measurements down to uV ripple.
Old 15th July 2019, 03:23 PM   #12
sciencesky is offline sciencesky
diyAudio Member

You could try to solder 0402 capacitors onto the leads.
I would use an 1nF/NPO/0402/50V and if you have enough space you could use another 0402 capacitor, for example an 10uF/X5R/0402/6V3.
But it is also important to have a big electrolytic capacitor on the same supply rail with some ESR to minimize ripple on the supply and to prevent possible oscillations on the supply rail.
Oscillations on the supply rail can occur when you only use ceramic capacitors.
Old 15th July 2019, 04:01 PM   #13
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

DAC chip decoupling
Well, 1nF is a small value and C0G is high Q. I'm not sure it's a great idea for the reasons you mentioned. The best decoupling cap is generally the highest capacitance for a given inductance (package).
Old 15th July 2019, 04:23 PM   #14
esl 63 is offline esl 63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Well, 1nF is a small value and C0G is high Q. I'm not sure it's a great idea for the reasons you mentioned. The best decoupling cap is generally the highest capacitance for a given inductance (package).
AMEN to that Chris!!
Thats exactly what i had in mind. Now I want to try 10uF 4Volt 0306 caps on ES9038 DAC chip on my Pro-Ject Pre 2s.

DAC chip decouplingHide this!Advertise here!