Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #761
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Regarding the offer of kits in return for help. Maybe not framed the right way to promote what you want: Transactional leadership - Wikipedia

Or, perhaps a more enjoyable and entertaining way to learn: 282: How to Motivate People, with Dan Ariely
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #762
ishizeno is offline ishizeno
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Regarding the offer of kits in return for help. Maybe not framed the right way to promote what you want: Transactional leadership - Wikipedia

Or, perhaps a more enjoyable and entertaining way to learn: 282: How to Motivate People, with Dan Ariely
Thanks a lot for the heads-up Mark: I really should clarify my intent.

I'm not asking for help. If people want to help, they will do that no matter what, as many do that already, you being first among them. Instead, I'm just trying to make it easier for people to feel "concerned" by the project, even though it's using a very expensive and complex DAC chip that otherwise would be out of reach for your typical DIYer. I've read several comments along these lines on other threads, and all I'm trying to do is to lower the barrier to entry.

For many DIYers on this site, the cost of a kit would be prohibitive, and I am worried that this fact alone might turn many people off. Instead, if the availability of a handful of free kits could allow some of us to participate in a project that would otherwise be out of reach, we would all benefit from the increased level of engagement. But this should not be interpreted as a form of quid pro quo or transactional leadership, which would be grossly disrespectful. Rather, it's just a way to acknowledge the very high risk factors attached to the overall project, and a way to foster participation by taking financial considerations out of the equation for the ones that can afford them the least.

There is also a very selfish motivation on my part: if I am the only end-user for this system, I have very little incentive to complete the project within any reasonable amount of time, because I'm already getting a lot out of it through the sheer amount of learning that I am deriving from it. But if there is a dozen readers who are eagerly waiting for a nice piece of kit, this creates an external forcing function that will keep me honest and engaged. By the same token, by making the kits available for free and by expecting nothing else in return (other than a basic level of feedback), I keep this external pressure as healthy as it can be. In other words, nobody can reasonably complain that the kits are taking too long to become available. Furthermore, this expectation of a kit coming down the pipe should create some level of project ownership that will motivate people to make meaningful contributions, not just at the engineering level, but also and maybe more importantly at product management and project management levels.

This is a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy, which can be a very powerful force.

My grand-father used to say something along these lines: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." This is rather funny, because he was a very politically conservative guy, yet this slogan was popularised by Karl Marx (Cf. Wikipedia). And while it was later used in some morally-corrupt ways, I still believe that it holds true in many situations. The present one might be one of them.

Last edited by ishizeno; Yesterday at 11:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!