Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Recommendation for a decent DAC.
Recommendation for a decent DAC.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2019, 11:31 PM   #11
redrooster is offline redrooster  Australia
diyAudio Member

Very interesting! You've certainly explored what DACs have to offer! From what I've read the USB 5v computer power supply is the best to use with a DAC because it's filtered very well which makes sense.
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #12
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I have 4 DACs, all under $200.

....snip..... Lastly is the one I now use in my main system, an Allo Boss RPi HAT. I power this with a battery pack that is always charging when off and totally disconnected from power when on. This one is far and away my favorite of the bunch, rendering music that actually sounds like music, big bass, smooth mids and airy highs. I recently built a silver interconnect for it and it really opened up....snip....
@zacster Thank you for the information provided regarding various DACs. Would you be so kind to elaborate in regards to the silver interconnect. As this DAC is a HAT type probably you are referring to a power supply mod for 5V delivery...
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Excuse my ignorance but what is a HAT type of DAC?
Old Today, 05:34 AM   #14
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is a HAT type of DAC?
No problem... HAT stands for “Hardware Attached on Top”. DACs are not only type of boards attached via the GPIO pins on top of the SBC (Single Board Computer) like RaspberryPi, Odroid, ASUS Tinker Board, etc.
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? lol Thanks, Mike.
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #16
merlin2069er is online now merlin2069er  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
I got a couple of dacs listed in the swap forum.

FiiO E17K ALPEN 2 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier
Audioengine D3 Portable USB Premium 24 Bit DAC
Old Today, 06:46 PM   #17
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMike View Post
@zacster Thank you for the information provided regarding various DACs. Would you be so kind to elaborate in regards to the silver interconnect. As this DAC is a HAT type probably you are referring to a power supply mod for 5V delivery...
My power supply is an Anker phone charger battery. When plugged in, it cuts off power to the Raspberry Pi and charges the battery, when unplugged or switched off, the battery power kicks in and powers the Pi.

The silver is an RCA interconnect from the Boss DAC that has RCA analog out to the pre-amp. I built this myself and was floored by how much better it sounded than what I had. The bass just came into such sharp focus that it let everything else come through clearly as well.
Old Today, 07:45 PM   #18
androa76 is offline androa76  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Your power supply is far away to be perfect. The only *good* thing is that is not connected to the main supply... in power chargers are buck converters that convert 3.7V to 5V and are very very noisy ... Look for design ...for example Ian lipo supply.
Boss is really quite ok dac for the money, but implementation is not perfect and dynamic is little supressed by powercap... in goal to polish harsh dac sound charatcter.

Recommendation for a decent DAC.Hide this!Advertise here!