Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

TDA1541A White noise one channel
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2019, 03:21 AM   #1
sthcoaster is online now sthcoaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default TDA1541A White noise one channel

I'm stumped

I know this is probably a grounding issue but I can't find it.

I've triple checked my soldering etc, tried a different TDA1541A IC, tried walking a ground wire around from and to different places ...

My test rig is TDA1541A on old ARCAM Alpha board with the following:
stock DIR9001 receiver >> RyanJs I2S to PCM card >> DAC 50hz DEM as per ECDesigns >> Lampizator SRPP

It has been and is playing fine. I added the I2StoPCM card and did the 50hz DEM mod recently but am only noticing this now so it is hard for me to tell where I should rewind to because...

It is only audible when the source is off and as I usually turn that on first I have only just noticed it. When source is connected and on, the DAC is silent and music plays beautifully.

The white noise is like hard rain, it is in one channel only and it is volume dependent.

Separate issue but possibly related so may help with diagnosis >> I just completed an ACA and the amp doesn't like signal from this DAC at all. The ACA plays fine with signal from iPod etc. (though my speakers are not really sensitive enough for the ACA). I just get scratchy noise when connected to DAC even with CD player connected etc.

This DAC will play fine through my Chord amp but that must be able to handle the dodgy grounding (or DC?) differently to compensate.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Last edited by sthcoaster; 19th April 2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old 20th April 2019, 02:05 AM   #2
sthcoaster is online now sthcoaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Swapped the digital outputs from the I2StoPCM card and the noise moved to the other channel so I will be looking at that board for the fault - possibly burnt a chip as I was putting it together? Or one of the pads is not soldered correctly - I will check again. and will seek help on the relevant thread

Thanks for looking

TDA1541A White noise one channelHide this!Advertise here!