Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Replacing capacitors in soundcard Echo AudioFire with bigger caps 8
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
robert2017 is offline robert2017
Banned

Default Replacing capacitors in soundcard Echo AudioFire with bigger caps 8

I need to replace all electrolytics in my sound card Echo Audio Fire 8

I posted some photos .
I already ordered over 60 caps but some of them have higher voltage tolerances ,
For example instead of 100uf 6,3v I will receive 20 caps having 100uf 10v .
Is there any problem if some have higher voltage tolerance ?.
I don't want to damage the board .

Also to replace all caps seems a very delicate complicated operation because the traces are very tiny and fragile .

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0648.JPG (160.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0652.JPG (184.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0649.JPG (186.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0654.JPG (160.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0646.jpg (818.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 31st March 2019, 12:58 AM   #2
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

A higher voltage rating isn't a problem. Do you really *need* to replace all of them? I would be very careful replacing caps in the SMPS. First, the caps have to have at least the same ripple current rating. Second, the performance could be affected if you use a drastically lower or higher ESR cap.

The lead spacing and size should be the same or close so they actually fit, though. If you have to have excessively long leads to fit them, it's not great.

Last edited by chris719; 31st March 2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 31st March 2019, 01:38 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
A higher voltage rating isn't a problem. Do you really *need* to replace all of them? I would be very careful replacing caps in the SMPS. First, the caps have to have at least the same ripple current rating. Second, the performance could be affected if you use a drastically lower or higher ESR cap.
Thanks

I checked some caps and they are almost dead . Those are some trash china caps marked "Rec" or "Trec" almost all of them . I ordered some Nichicon FG to replace those .Regarding the psu I will check the ripple of the new caps . I ordered some high quality parts . I was never happy with this board . The sound was not that great .
The power supply is a CFM1503S .Maybe those caps on PSU are ok and don't need replacement .

Seems very risky to mess with the ripple rating .
Old 31st March 2019, 01:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just be mindful of replacing regular electrolytics with solid polymer caps like OSCONs or similar, just in case the designer was counting on some ESR for damping behavior.

If they are really cheap generic electrolytics you will probably not have any issues with ripple current ratings. I would imagine almost everything you replace them with will be equivalent or better. I would not use Nichicon FG for the power supply though. They are not really meant to be in a switching power supply, though they might still be better than the generic Chinese caps.

If you're able to fit them, look into the Nichicon Muse ES bipolar caps for coupling positions.

Last edited by chris719; 31st March 2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 31st March 2019, 02:37 AM   #5
Banned

Yes I also ordered ES Muse for coupling .Nichicon FG and Panasonic FM are intended only for the main board . It appears that PSU uses higher quality ones including some TK.
I will look into polymer caps . Good idea.
Old 31st March 2019, 02:55 AM   #6
phase is online now phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe he was warning you not to change the type of capacitor in the event that it may cause harm, or more to be careful if doing so.
Old 31st March 2019, 03:14 AM   #7
Banned

what would happen if the psu uses a 900 ma ripple cap and I replace that with a 600 ma ripple one?
On the psu it is written input 0,5 A and output 15VDC 1A

Last edited by robert2017; 31st March 2019 at 03:18 AM.
Old 31st March 2019, 04:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If the cap is rated for a higher ripple current, that's better, just don't go lower. You don't know what the actual ripple current the capacitor experiences is unless you measure it or you're the designer.

Phase is right, I meant don't replace a standard electrolytic with a polymer if you don't know anything about the circuit. Chances are it will be fine, might even be an improvement at the output of the power supply, but it could also make things worse.

I'd probably not replace any caps if the unit still works well though... I recapped an EMU 1820m but only because half of the caps in it literally all go bad and vent after a few years of use. I wouldn't have touched it had it not stopped working though.

Last edited by chris719; 31st March 2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old 31st March 2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Banned

But the ripple is important only for PSU caps right ?. Regarding the chinese caps on the board outside the PSU I don't know the ripple specs of those .

I hope that changing those damaged caps with new caps will bring more extension and depth to the music.
On the board it is written 2005 and most of the caps are already almost dead but I think the PSU caps are fine because on that I see only Japanese caps but I will also measure those.

Last edited by robert2017; 31st March 2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2017 View Post
But the ripple is important only for PSU caps right ?. Regarding the chinese caps on the board outside the PSU I don't know the ripple specs of those .

I hope that changing those damaged caps with new caps will bring more extension and depth to the music.
On the board it is written 2005 and most of the caps are already almost dead but I think the PSU caps are fine because on that I see only Japanese caps but I will also measure those.
Yes, the ripple current is hopefully only an issue for the caps in the power supply or at the input / output of any switching regulators if there are any.

I'm not sure they will make much audible difference, it depends on what dead means. Coupling caps should last for a very long time unless they are real garbage.

Replacing capacitors in soundcard Echo AudioFire with bigger caps 8Hide this!Advertise here!