Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Replacing capacitors in soundcard Echo AudioFire with bigger caps 8
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2019, 08:32 PM   #31
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

No, it is misleading you with all capacitors. I'm very sorry you spent the money on it.

What is the make and model please? I have just got to see the advertising copy on it.

-Chris
Old 14th April 2019, 08:57 PM   #32
robert2017 is offline robert2017
Banned

ok is something like this but don't be fulled by the price . Here's the link . YouTube
YouTube
Old 14th April 2019, 11:11 PM   #33
Banned

shocked about what that 7$ toy can do ?
Old 14th April 2019, 11:17 PM   #34
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

That doesn't mean the caps are shot. What was the ESR compared to the datasheet spec? You are most likely wasting your time.
Old 14th April 2019, 11:51 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
That doesn't mean the caps are shot. What was the ESR compared to the datasheet spec? You are most likely wasting your time.
Let me check the official pdf datasheet specs .
For REC SR cap series no ESR info is offered and for REC LZ the same.
If I make some measurements regarding ESR.
REC LZ 100UF 25V ESR 0.60 OHM
REC SR 100UF 6.3V ESR 1.4 OHM.
REC SR 1000UF 6.3V ESR 0.6 OHM

REC SR 220UF 10V ESR 0.97 OHM
REC LZ 470UF 10V ESR 0.55 OHM
REC LZ 100UF 16V ESR 0,74 OHM (this is the only one on specs)
Don't call me paranoid. Those are not ok . From 6 only one is still on specs.I won't measure all but will replace all for safety I don't trust this REC brand.

Until now I replaced almost 30 and sounds much normal . Before that the sound was not ok . I started the mod because the sound revealed the problem .

Last edited by robert2017; 15th April 2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:59 AM   #36
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Robert,
I rarely measure ESR. For power supply capacitors I look at the waveform across the capacitor. For audio or signal capacitors, I measure dissipation. Simple, direct and easy.

Of course, the quality of the instrument does determine how accurate the answers you get are. You can't forget that.

-Chris
Old 15th April 2019, 03:02 AM   #37
Banned

Chris the board have over 50 caps .From those only a few are on specs and the rest of 90% are measuring mediocre to worst .
First I refused to believe that my soundcard sounded bad so I lied my self but didn't worked with me such trick so I took a good CD player and a DVD player and made A B blind tests and noticed that ECHO sounded more tiny with less detail and poor resolution compared to the other sources .
Right now sounds very accurate .Each cap is soldered on both side of the board so is difficult to change such caps .
Old 15th April 2019, 04:48 AM   #38
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2017 View Post
Let me check the official pdf datasheet specs .
For REC SR cap series no ESR info is offered and for REC LZ the same.
If I make some measurements regarding ESR.
REC LZ 100UF 25V ESR 0.60 OHM
REC SR 100UF 6.3V ESR 1.4 OHM.
REC SR 1000UF 6.3V ESR 0.6 OHM

REC SR 220UF 10V ESR 0.97 OHM
REC LZ 470UF 10V ESR 0.55 OHM
REC LZ 100UF 16V ESR 0,74 OHM (this is the only one on specs)
Don't call me paranoid. Those are not ok . From 6 only one is still on specs.I won't measure all but will replace all for safety I don't trust this REC brand.

Until now I replaced almost 30 and sounds much normal . Before that the sound was not ok . I started the mod because the sound revealed the problem .
Those values seem in line with what I would expect from cheap electrolytic capacitors. I doubt they are all bad. If you want to know the truth you need to take some measurements of the analog outputs before and after the change.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:34 AM   #39
Banned

C'mon there should be a standard right ?. Especially the cheapo coupling caps for the outputs where the same non polar REC type. Those can be seen in the photos having that purple color . So I think those are filtering the output signal for each output ?. I replaced those with Nichicon ES so probably the main improvement comes from this .
Old 15th April 2019, 11:04 AM   #40
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You cannot test a capacitor in circuit, unless you know how to carefully calculate the result of all the rest of the circuit. I am going to guess that you do not know how to do this, and may not even realise that this was necessary. Hence all your 'in-circuit' capacitor checks, however they were done, are null and void. You have almost certainly been changing capacitors which did not need to be changed. 'Vloss' is a meaningless measure, not used by any serious electronics engineer. It is likely that any perceived improvement is due to expectation bias, while any perceived degradation is due to overheating components with the soldering iron.

Replacing capacitors in soundcard Echo AudioFire with bigger caps 8Hide this!Advertise here!