Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Replacing capacitors in soundcard Echo AudioFire with bigger caps 8
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2019, 07:42 PM   #21
robert2017 is offline robert2017
Banned

Also I won't wait for the caps do go dead because will take other parts and for this sound card I don't have any service manual also the board being from 2005 changing the caps is the best ideea.
Old 14th April 2019, 07:48 PM   #22
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Robert,
I haven't heard of that term before, Vlos. Can you describe what it stands for? What cap checker do you have?

-Chris
Old 14th April 2019, 07:56 PM   #23
PH104 is offline PH104  United States
diyAudio Member

New term for me too.

http://www.foxcomputer.se/Capacitor%...ss%20Vloss.pdf
Old 14th April 2019, 08:03 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi Robert,
I haven't heard of that term before, Vlos. Can you describe what it stands for? What cap checker do you have?

-Chris
Is not really 100% accurate measurement is more of an estimation based on voltage loss I guess . The higher the Vloss the higher the cap is closer to being a short circuit I guess .
Old 14th April 2019, 08:10 PM   #25
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't electrolytics used for coupling have a longer life expectancy than you?
Old 14th April 2019, 08:12 PM   #26
Capt Grogg is offline Capt Grogg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2017 View Post
Is not really 100% accurate measurement is more of an estimation based on voltage loss I guess . The higher the Vloss the higher the cap is closer to being a short circuit I guess .
Seems backwards, what is make and model of cap checker?
Old 14th April 2019, 08:14 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't electrolytics used for coupling have a longer life expectancy than you?
No I have a longer life expectancy up to 250 years on paper.
Old 14th April 2019, 08:14 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Hi PH104,
Many thanks for the link!

This really doesn't seem to be a great way to check a capacitor. The normal LCR bridge and LCR meters made by HP / Agilent / Keysight, Genrad and a few others are the only reliable way to test a capacitor. They pretty much say you can't test caps in-circuit. You can't by any method really except for maybe ESR. ESR is of limited usefulness in signal circuits, and dissipation is more accurate to indicate the health of a capacitor. Dissipation is 1/Q.

Vloss will be greatly affected by the input impedance of the meter used to measure it, and as the range changes that resistance will change also. Humidity might make a huge difference with the smaller capacitors. Measuring frequency should be in the area where the capacitor is expected to be effective.

Robert, don't waste any more money using this test. It is hopelessly inaccurate and impossible to calibrate it against the quality of a capacitor. It will mislead you for sure.

-Chris
Old 14th April 2019, 08:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Capt Grogg,
I expect he is using a DVM.

-Chris
Old 14th April 2019, 08:21 PM   #30
Banned

Yes is not accurate at all to use such devices but when I swapped out those REC caps and measured the Vloss I also measured the Vloss of those replacing them .

With this tester a REC cap haing 100uf 6,3v have up to 12% Vloss so I replaced those with Nichicon FG 100uf 10v those measuring almost 0 usually between 0,3 and 0,5 Vloss on this tester for the new caps . So I think the tester in not really a joke and is pretty serious . Also the FMs and FCs did showed very low Vloss under 0,5% .

The problem with this cheap tester is with big caps not having enough power to measure those with accuracy .

Last edited by robert2017; 14th April 2019 at 08:26 PM.

Replacing capacitors in soundcard Echo AudioFire with bigger caps 8Hide this!Advertise here!