Will Voltage-Out DACs Ever Be Good, Like Current-Out DACs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Haha, you mean tda1541, no i think not.

However on specification sheets the V out dacs have better S/N and THD.

The reason is the ever more complicated architecture of the new dacs with millions of transistors. The tda1541 let you use good quality discrete external parts and perform the current to I conversion with the best transistors available or tubes.

View volltage-DACs as current-DACs with internal I/V circuits. Current-DACs, however, require external I/V circuits. So, the differentiating issue is the performance/sound of the I/V circuit. With voltage-DACs the I/V circuit is essentially fixed, where as current-DACs enable a great variety of I/V circuit implementation.

Right..
the I/V circuit is fixed, and also built inside the chip.
I wonder If this can ever get to a level which is good,
or is it doomed to stay inferior to an external curcuit that uses bigger components for the I/V part.

I don't know of an inherent reason why in internal I/V circuit must perform worse than an external one. Internal I/V circuits I've seen are typically op-amps integrated on-chip and configured as transimpedance feedback amplifiers. This is the configuration of most external circuits I/V circuits as well. So, I suspect that it much comes down to whether one 'likes' the sound of op-amp transimpedance feedback amplifiers or not.

I don't know of an inherent reason why in internal I/V circuit must perform worse than an external one. Internal I/V circuits I've seen are typically op-amps integrated on-chip ... This is the configuration of most external circuits I/V circuits as well.
You have a point.
But when an External Op-Amp chip is used,
isn't it surrounded with some external components, like capacitors?
If yes, those external capacitors might make a difference compared to a situation where all the surrounding circuitry for the op-amp, is also built-in the DAC chip..

I see.

BTW, you remind me something I read, regarding TI/Burr-Brown's PCM5102:

The PCM5102 provides 2.1VRMS ground centered outputs, allowing designers to eliminate DC blocking capacitors on the output, as well as external muting circuits traditionally associated with single supply line drivers
Taken from here:
http://www.ti.com/product/PCM5102

What do you think about this feature?
Does ground centered outputs make a Voltage-Out DAC worth trying?

FX Audio has a DAC product based on it,
it's called FX Audio FX-01:

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

eBay product page:
FX Audio FX-01 USB Sound Card Audio Decoder DAC SA9023+PCM5102 Sampling Display | eBay

Should I buy it?

I wonder what Arcam did with the miniblink to get the results they did?

miniBlink Bluetooth DAC

I have set one up as a fairly nice sounding hands free, built into a house wall, system for my mom, uses an iPad for all inputs. It was adapted to a typical wall switch plate. I did change the charge pump supply caps to some film, and a better 5v supply, but nothing else beyond that.

I see.

BTW, you remind me something I read, regarding TI/Burr-Brown's PCM5102:

Taken from here:
http://www.ti.com/product/PCM5102

What do you think about this feature?
Does ground centered outputs make a Voltage-Out DAC worth trying?

What they are talking about is that, while the PCM5102 requires only a positive supply, it also incorporates what's known as a negative charge pump circuit. The charge pump creates a negative supply for the chip only from the exisiting positive supply. Now, having both positive and negative supplies, the DAC's output signal swings can be centered around ground. Therefore, it doesn't require an D.C. blocking capacitor on the output. In other words, it can now be D.C. coupled. Aside from that, the charge pump itself doesn't give superior any performance to the PCM5102.

Thanks Ken for the great and clear explanation.

The charge pump creates a negative supply for the chip only from the exisiting positive supply. Now, having both positive and negative supplies, the DAC's output signal swings can be centered around ground.
Is this related to the reason why some ready made DAC boards requires a Dual Rail AC?
(e.g. +15v,0v,-15v AC)

They work on Dual Rail AC in order to spare the need for DC blocking capacitors on the output?

(Is there a difference between DAC boards that are Dual Rail AC and ones that are Dual Rail DC?
because I think I saw one that expects
+15v,0v,-15v DC)

Last edited:
What about Delta-Sigma vs MultiBit?
Did Delta-Sigma also got to a high enough level
or in such a case (Delta-Sigma vs MultiBit) MultiBit will have a better potential?

All current delta sigma are multibit. There are no more 1-bit DACs, and there are also no conventional audio R-2R / sign-magnitude, etc. parts still in production.

This is another myth, in my opinion, invented by those who do not like new things or need a way to differentiate their product. All you have to do is look at the flagship products of high-end manufacturers. They are all using delta sigma converters now. Either they were lying to you in the past, or they are lying now. The top measuring DACs for almost 15 years now have been delta sigma, and I don't think you will see any other converter topology improve on their performance at low sample rates (audio sample rates).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Voltage out DACs may never be as good as current out - in people's imagination.
Having built around several top end voltage out DACs, and gotten rave reviews for them, I don't hear the need for external I/V.

Unless of course you just like the idea of "more fiddly is more better." Then it's better. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.