Will Voltage-Out DACs Ever Be Good, Like Current-Out DACs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chris719,
CMOS is probably the nastiest technique you can utilize in audio. CMOS allows a high packing density and a cheap and unproblematic on-chip integration. Passive components take up much silicon space and are tricky to implement. In order to avoid a lot of headache, manufacturers do everything in their power to keep the number of the more human friendly resistors to a minimum. Obviously, it is easy to persuade the public of the superiority of modern voltage mode CMOS DAC.

chris719,
CMOS is probably the nastiest technique you can utilize in audio. CMOS allows a high packing density and a cheap and unproblematic on-chip integration. Passive components take up much silicon space and are tricky to implement. In order to avoid a lot of headache, manufacturers do everything in their power to keep the number of the more human friendly resistors to a minimum. Obviously, it is easy to persuade the public of the superiority of modern voltage mode CMOS DAC.

The fact is, the measured performance of newer parts are superior. Keep perpetuating your myths. I do not really care about the subjective impressions of deaf old men as a group.

What is your best sounding DAC ever? Not just the chip but also the implementation.

All good ones sound the same in properly done level-matched blind tests. I have owned and/or listened to the following: AD1865 (Rockna), TDA1543 (kit), PCM1738 (Channel Islands), AD1853 (Benchmark DAC1), AD1955 (Lavry), AK4396 (my own design), CS4398 (EMU 1820m), ES9018 (Anedio D1), AK4490 (RTX6001).

I think I've listened to a device with PCM1702 and someone's PCM56 Tent DAC also but can't recall.

It doesn't really matter because we won't agree on the audibility.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.