Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Will Voltage-Out DACs Ever Be Good, Like Current-Out DACs?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2019, 01:52 AM   #201
chris719 is online now chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro1360 View Post
What the number said is not what the ear heard, told the speaker with great distortion
In your opinion. I disagree.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:13 AM   #202
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

chris719,
CMOS is probably the nastiest technique you can utilize in audio. CMOS allows a high packing density and a cheap and unproblematic on-chip integration. Passive components take up much silicon space and are tricky to implement. In order to avoid a lot of headache, manufacturers do everything in their power to keep the number of the more human friendly resistors to a minimum. Obviously, it is easy to persuade the public of the superiority of modern voltage mode CMOS DAC.
Old 5th June 2019, 10:28 AM   #203
miro1360 is offline miro1360  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
In your opinion. I disagree.
What is your best sounding DAC ever? Not just the chip but also the implementation.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:28 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N101N View Post
chris719,
CMOS is probably the nastiest technique you can utilize in audio. CMOS allows a high packing density and a cheap and unproblematic on-chip integration. Passive components take up much silicon space and are tricky to implement. In order to avoid a lot of headache, manufacturers do everything in their power to keep the number of the more human friendly resistors to a minimum. Obviously, it is easy to persuade the public of the superiority of modern voltage mode CMOS DAC.
The fact is, the measured performance of newer parts are superior. Keep perpetuating your myths. I do not really care about the subjective impressions of deaf old men as a group.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:40 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What is your best sounding DAC ever? Not just the chip but also the implementation.
All good ones sound the same in properly done level-matched blind tests. I have owned and/or listened to the following: AD1865 (Rockna), TDA1543 (kit), PCM1738 (Channel Islands), AD1853 (Benchmark DAC1), AD1955 (Lavry), AK4396 (my own design), CS4398 (EMU 1820m), ES9018 (Anedio D1), AK4490 (RTX6001).

I think I've listened to a device with PCM1702 and someone's PCM56 Tent DAC also but can't recall.

It doesn't really matter because we won't agree on the audibility.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:57 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

All mentioned by you produced the same sound (subjective experience) and the only difference is in numeric parameters?
Old 5th June 2019, 10:05 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All mentioned by you produced the same sound (subjective experience) and the only difference is in numeric parameters?
I didn't test them all blind or under the same conditions, but I would say so.

I could probably tell the AD1865 DAC apart in a blind test because it was "non-OS".
Old 5th June 2019, 10:33 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

AD1955 is on my to-do list, so I will test it for sure.

Will Voltage-Out DACs Ever Be Good, Like Current-Out DACs?Hide this!Advertise here!