Lexicon Pre Users Please Enter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I had an old DC-1 for about 10 years and loved the way it sounded, super detailed yet still somewhat warm and natural. Unfortunately it passed away a few weeks ago and I replaced it with an MC-12 and all I can say is... nooo! Harsh and brittle, just not good sounding at all. I've never had listening fatigue with these speakers and today my ears were not happy for hours. Is this possible? Or is there something wrong with the MC-12?

I agree it shouldn't be worse but it just has kind of a brittle, bright sound that doesn't seem to agree with my speakers very well. The DC-1 could produce very realistic cymbal sounds on many recordings, where the MC-12 just sounds fake and shrill. I even noticed this on the center channel which has entirely different drivers.

I pulled the power supply out of the DC-1 but there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Eventually I noticed there was a sizzling sound coming from something on the main board. I could probably pick up another used whole unit for less than the price of fixing it, don't you think?

You didn't have some setting on the DC1 that you've not replicated on the MC12?

Sizzling? Could be anything but is most likely a electro cap. They are easy to replace. IME, the documentation on the DC1 is unparalleled, making it easy to fix. If it wasn't for that crazy hot dsp card and dodgy original PSU, it would be perfect (for what it is anyway).

I still use my old dc1 (with all the video circuitry removed and an upgraded psu), can you not repair it? All things being equal, the mc12 shouldn't be worse.

Rex Am using the Dc1 for vinyl from schitt mani preamp on anal in to Dc1 and outputting on Zone 2 out into Nad 216.
Am doing it this way to try to bypass the digital Processing for the TT.
From your post is there a better way to do this as i do like the Dc1 sound.
Also did u actually remove the video stuff and how did you upgrade the PSU
Any ideas would be appreciated ta Joe

Well I tried 4 different high end preamps and none of them sounded as dynamic in 2-ch as the DC-1. So am I to believe the 20 yr old 48Khz DACs and Lexi preamp is the best?? Currently I'm using an Anthem and it's surround performance is superior but 2-ch sound is more compressed sounding and not as detailed, particularly in the upper mids, treble. Could this be a difference in output capacitors?

Rex Am using the Dc1 for vinyl from schitt mani preamp on anal in to Dc1 and outputting on Zone 2 out into Nad 216.
Am doing it this way to try to bypass the digital Processing for the TT.
From your post is there a better way to do this as i do like the Dc1 sound.
Also did u actually remove the video stuff and how did you upgrade the PSU
Any ideas would be appreciated ta Joe

You can use the internal trigger to activate relays to inject a signal before the volume control ICs. This is the popular analog bypass mentioned elsewhere. Yup, all the video circuitry neatly uninstalls, leaving holes for the above mentioned bypass. I squeezed in a small linear PSU for the analog circuitry, and 2 switchmode supplies, one for main CPU and one for the DSP card. PSUs are much smaller these days.

Well I tried 4 different high end preamps and none of them sounded as dynamic in 2-ch as the DC-1. So am I to believe the 20 yr old 48Khz DACs and Lexi preamp is the best?? Currently I'm using an Anthem and it's surround performance is superior but 2-ch sound is more compressed sounding and not as detailed, particularly in the upper mids, treble. Could this be a difference in output capacitors?

The 47uF bipolar electrolytics in the signal path are amongst the worst caps i've ever measured, so no, i doubt it. At least they _are_ bipolar, so that is something i suppose.

Wow, I guess they saved a few bucks. High end unit at the time, hard to believe. Would all preamps have caps in the signal path? I wonder if I can upgrade this Anthem.

Most preamps/HT processors have a cap or servo in the signal path. In the case of the DC1 there is one after the differential integrator and one after the volume control. In mine, i upgraded the front 3 channels to plastic film, which is a pain, as they are 10x the size.

The digital side of things in the DC1 is done quite well. There is jitter reduction circuitry, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.