PC Source, Raspberry Pi based dac, audio lag?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am considering converting a pair of passive speakers to active speakers with built in DAC and AMP. Their use will be standalone PC speakers (2.0 or 2.1) with a PC as source. Whether connected with USB/ SPDIF optical or via network.

Is this a) possible, running raspberry pi as the brains for a dac daughterboard and a diy amp board of some kind when used with a PC as source? and b) if so would it incur a noticable lag if the source is playing a video (e.g. a youtube clip) by running it through "another computer"?

Google wasnt my friend on this one.

I've done what you are proposing using airport expresses feeding an external dac. I then can use airplay to send the music over to the speakers. That works for me with no noticeable lag when watching videos and such. I don't do it often and maybe the mac and the airport protocol is compensating for the lag somehow, I'm not sure. but the end result is I can do exactly what you are trying to do and it seems to work well.

I've used moode with a rPi as a streaming client and it seems to work exactly the same using shareport to emulate the airplay protocol. I've only ever streamed via network (never a direct connection the rPi).

hope that helps,
Sheldon

Thank you for your reply.

I was wondering whether my concerns were merely academic or if it could be a practical concern.

Using a rPi based brains with dac daughterboard would make the "new" speakers much more versatile and it would be fun doing something different.

With regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.