Does the CM6632A decode Dolby/DTS by itself?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering.. The CM6632A that sits in units like the Asus Xonar U7. It is 7.1 channels and has digital outputs if you like, but does it actually decode Dolby/DTS or does it rely on the (Windows) driver to do so?

If that is the case, then the chip cannot provide Dolby/DTS under Linux?

OK. An Asus Xonar does not cost very much so I guess I could just buy one and try. For me, AC3 and DTS is sufficient. Most of the material we watch are OTA anyway. We do not even own a Blueray :) What we have now is a CM6206-based USB card, but that chip only has analogue outputs. With the CM6632A it should be possible to pick out digital from the pins.

Kodi decodes all of the formats except Athmos and converts to multiple channels of PCM so any card with multiple analog outputs will work on Linux or any other platform. You just have to disable the passtrough settings and set the correct number of channels.

Good to know! Time to do some experimentation! I was erroneously under the impression that the card did the decoding. Now I have more options, nowthat I know that it happens earlier.

I am also looking at this thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/319779-surround-decoder-encoded-digital-audio-ac3-dts-aac-beagle-bone-black-2.html#post5735605

I'm not sure there was any sound card that actually decoded it in hardware or their driver. For SPDIF, they can pass it with the non-audio flag, and then your external decoder will light up. That's limited to old 5.1 AC3 or DTS of course. Now much the same thing happens with HDMI and the newer codecs. Most BD players allow you to choose whether to output multichannel PCM and decode on the player, or pass the Atmos or DTS-MA bitstream to an external decoder.

maybe a solution
Optische SPDIF 3,5 AUX Koaxial Digital zu Analog 6 RCA HD Audio Rausch 5,1 Decoder AC3 DTS Dolby Surround Sound verstarker Konverter in Optische SPDIF 3,5 AUX Koaxial Digital zu Analog 6 RCA HD Audio Rausch 5,1 Decoder AC3 DTS Dolby Surround Sound verstarker Konverter aus Digital-Analog-Wandler auf AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group
I don't what is in the box, but, if the I²S is available inside,
you can do all what your want.

Has anybody a picture from inside the box?

Another idea,
it is possible, that the spdif-out's on Audigy 2ZS runs avery time parallel to line out?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.