Project Pre 2...Lots of problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just purchased Project Pre 2. I can't get the thing to play a MQA recording. Plays fine but the MQA light never locks on. One time it was playin g and the MQA came on but would not stay locked on. Adjusted all kind of settings but to nom avail. manual completely sucks. No instructions for MQA. Help.

Just a quick update in case it might help anyone else. I found out in order to pass the MQA signal it has to be bit perfect. That means that any digital volumes tied to your device needs to be set to 100% in order to not truncate the data stream. Once I did that the MQA light locked on. BTW this $400 buck DAC sounds exceptional!

Just a quick update in case it might help anyone else. I found out in order to pass the MQA signal it has to be bit perfect. That means that any digital volumes tied to your device needs to be set to 100% in order to not truncate the data stream. Once I did that the MQA light locked on. BTW this $400 buck DAC sounds exceptional!

Thank you - its one of Jarek and my designs :)

Hi Mark,

Still waiting on Jarek to get me a working software - he's been busy completing is Uni end of year exams etc. so not had the time to work on the firmware / software (hes back in the lab tomorrow).

The week before the Christmas he made it to the lab and we had a chance to perform some basic test - although we only have single channel built, and listening though a powered monitor we can already hear it sounds so much better then that ESS sound that we have become very "allergic" too...

There is clearly space around each instrument, and each note has a clearly defined start and end... where as ESS DAC'S just present a wall of sound without any reality...

I've found that if you can make a design sound "holographic " and good "tone" via a single speaker then it will sounds stunning in Stereo operation.

It common to listen to a single speaker and it sound flat - only sounding full when in stereo - from my experience this is a bad sign..

We where also experimenting with HQplayer's Digital filters / modulators options and just SO very surprised how bad they all sound... you can clearly hear the difference between them, but they all sound so bad!!!

We have a few native DSD recordings - and played back though the DAC in native DSD they just wipe the floor of ANY HQplayer options!!!

So VERY disappointed with HQplayer so far - maybe we are not using the best options (its the first time we tired the software) - but after all the forum noise about HQplayer we are left wondering whats going on?

...after all the forum noise about HQplayer we are left wondering whats going on?

Only the very most computationally demanding modulators and filters HQ Player has, run at the highest possible sample rates (DSD512 or DSD256), sound good on AK4499 clocked by JLSounds I2SoverUSB. Takes the most powerful PC made today to be able to hear it without computer caused dropouts. Still not as good as the best high end vinyl experience in terms of how long one can listen without fatigue. Its getting a lot closer though.

Last edited:
Hi John...
I tried Pro ject support.
I got Pro-Ject Pre Box S2
suddenly the sound dissapear.. like 60 dB?

Turned the volume to max (0dB)
I hear the music very attenuated...

Is it the output stage that is blown?
Both headphone and pre out.
And i have used it for maybe 20 hours in total (4 years old)
I have tried new drivers. Powered on and off, tried all filters, swapped computer, changed media player, etc etc . :(
I will sleep and try tomorrow...

This is the analog stage. (not mine..)

Attachments

• pro ject.GIF
    pro ject.GIF
    244.2 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.