Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Buffer the I2S signals on DAC
Buffer the I2S signals on DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2019, 01:34 PM   #1
sismik11 is offline sismik11  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Buffer the I2S signals on DAC

Hi
I'm planning to do a hack on my MiniDSP DDRC-24 to get SPDIF output. I will follow this guide: MiniDSP DDRC-24: MiniDSP DDRC-24: Modified To Output SPDIF - Album on Imgur in which the I2S data is taken from the input of the DAC chip on the DDRC-24 and send to a I2S to SPDIF converter. In the guide one I2S to SPDIF converter is used to provide SPDIF for channels 1 and 2. I would like to add another converter to also get SPDIF out for channels 3 and 4.

My question is: Is some sort of buffer needed to buffer the I2S signals when using 2 boards? And how would one go about doing that?
Old 18th September 2021, 09:55 AM   #2
mhelin is offline mhelin
diyAudio Member

Which DAC's are used on DDRC-24, are they so bad? They are from AKM but which model? AK4616VQ codec maybe?
E: It seems to be using AK4626A codec (AK4626AVQ) with a 102dB SNR A/D and 106dB SNR DACs (obsolete part by now)

Could use also HDMI connectors and cabling though there aren't any standards for pin usage. It's quite a common practice though.
There are also some ready made modules you can find from Ebay for an example:

Receiver & transmitter: HDMI-compatible I2S Receiver IIS - HDMI Transmit Board Signal Conversion Decoder | eBay

Transmitter only: I2S to HDMI Module IIS I2S HDMI | eBay

Last edited by mhelin; 18th September 2021 at 10:16 AM.
  Reply to this post

Buffer the I2S signals on DACHide this!Advertise here!