CM6631A + ES9023 cheap board - modification...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I usually let them play for about 12 hours, then shut them down for 12, do that for a couple weeks or so at least. The last ones took around 7 weeks, as they (polystyrene) didn’t have much voltage or current going through them.
Sounds crazy, and if you’d told me that a few years ago, I would have had some serious doubts!

I usually let them play for about 12 hours, then shut them down for 12, do that for a couple weeks or so at least. The last ones took around 7 weeks, as they (polystyrene) didn’t have much voltage or current going through them.
Sounds crazy, and if you’d told me that a few years ago, I would have had some serious doubts!

yes yes...switch on for some couple of hours and off!!...
i am really happy with the sound...rally not bad for the money:)

Vreg 180k 3,3V...

Hi

i push from a file...315hz into the DAC and check what is the max level with 3,3V setting and the 180kR resistor on Vreg.
see the pic 1,86Vrms max level of output

but i thought 3,3V is AVCC / 2 = 1,65V???

to late i found at foobar the function for a tone generator:
under file/ADD location you can enter e.g. tone://1000,20 = 1khz with 20seconds

:)

chris

Attachments

• output voltage at 3,3 with 180kR.jpg
    output voltage at 3,3 with 180kR.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
next modification borad1

Good evening

after some compare session with my unmod D50 i decided to do the next step with changing the caps near the crystals. these are decoupling caps and Samwah 470µ/25V. i measure that (LCR Meter) and they are not bad up to 10kHz, 10khz not so fine...so i think they are good for "supplies". i need "lower ESRcaps"

the only caps at home are and i think 80µF are sufficient :
rubycon 47µ/50V 50YXM47MEFc6.3x11
Panasonic 33µF/35V EEU-FM1V330

What did i miss? compared to D50 i miss more mirco details and a correct bass area. some voices (e,g. "t" are to hard and were more shouted not sang:D)

on the pic you can see in the top right corner the bigger ruby..the pana are at the bottom side of the pcb.
why so small caps?...for the final DAC--> with alu case i have to be careful about the size of the cap.

Thanks to" José James / no Beginning no End" i had a nice listening evening:) ( as specially title 5,8,12 for compare mostly)

will hear after some hours what happened...actually its playing at this update 2 hours and i am happy..the sounds stage is not as big as the D50 and the smartness is not evident but the micro details start to shine a bit more.

chris

Attachments

• 9023 modification_variant_1_1.jpg
    9023 modification_variant_1_1.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 9023 modification_variant_1_2caps.jpg
    9023 modification_variant_1_2caps.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
...waiting for components....sound check with DAC Box S2+

Hi

during waiting for the components i did some sound check actually my CM6631A/9023 board 1 is still in operation and sound very fine. after a lot of compare titles with my unmod D50 i was a little confuse what i like and what is "better"

short:
i like the sound from the CM6631A board with this configuration because it is never annoying, harsh or "shouting"....ok its not so deep and some micro details are not here as the D50 but the general sound is more natural.
the other DAC - D50 is always give my more micro detail and the sound deepness and soundstage is 2m "bigger" this give you an impressive sound...
but...it happend that the shouting and "failures" in vocals as "t" or "th" are not nice..the micro details are seldom a bit harsh.....

i decided to start a x check DAC::)
i bought at amazon a 175Euro pro-ject DAC Box S2+ (9038k2m chip) and well engineered a good components...nice for a ready dac. the price was reduced because of a "damaged" package- normal price is about 229euros...
i see nothing strange on the package...yes it was opened but the DAC look and fell new...
(nevertheless i will not keep it.........hopefully:D)

what can i say? i really not recognize that project did some DAC´s /amps etc...my brain stored the company project as turntable company...:eek:..sorry guys;)...

this DAC combine all the goodies of the other 2 DAC´s and more...the coolness/smartness and "implicitness" is freezing me....very very good sound. vocals and instruments are playing free and without any harshness or strange noise...very natural..... i interpret that this DAC has some running hours but i will do some extra sessions...

chris

...crystal check

Good morning

on the first board there ar silver crystals with the labe

TCO 12M MCO 1510A so its a 12mHz crystal with "A" rate = +/- 50ppm working Voltage 5V...see attachment

on the second board it is a SMD

black color smaller size with the "label " B0QMA or its a BOQMA
but i found nothing...

any ideas which sort of crystal that is??...i am asking because i want to know if i should change the crystals (i had a not working board with the bigger shielded TCO MCO crystals)

chris

Attachments

• MCO-1510A-szgreat.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 70
other ready ES9038k2m cheap DAC

5 weeks ago i ordered this ready DAC:
Finished ES9038Q2M Fiber Coaxial XMOS208 USB Input DAC Decoder LED screen HiFi DAC supports DSD 2019 New-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

cost 106 + 21,6 tax= 127,6 euros
luckly over amazon because this mini DAC is not recognize by WIN:(:confused: no sound...the delivered 9V wallsocket smps is powering up the DAC is switching on/off. the right button you can switch over OPT/COAX/USB.... but at USB i just got DSD and no sound. i tried to reboot win10 several times but win is writing that this device is not recognized by WIN...

no idea...

bad luck...i thought that this DAc is good for modding but this DAC goes back...

chris

Attachments

• USB_Win10 nicht erkannt.JPG
    USB_Win10 nicht erkannt.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Netzteil_nicht EU.jpg
    Netzteil_nicht EU.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 180
  • board.jpg
    board.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 210
Good morning

on the first board there ar silver crystals with the labe

TCO 12M MCO 1510A so its a 12mHz crystal with "A" rate = +/- 50ppm working Voltage 5V...see attachment

on the second board it is a SMD

black color smaller size with the "label " B0QMA or its a BOQMA
but i found nothing...

any ideas which sort of crystal that is??...i am asking because i want to know if i should change the crystals (i had a not working board with the bigger shielded TCO MCO crystals)

chris

anybody help me to find this other crystal? SMD black color, no metal housing, label is BOQAM or B0QAM

thx

5 weeks ago i ordered this ready DAC:
Finished ES9038Q2M Fiber Coaxial XMOS208 USB Input DAC Decoder LED screen HiFi DAC supports DSD 2019 New-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

cost 106 + 21,6 tax= 127,6 euros
luckly over amazon because this mini DAC is not recognize by WIN:(:confused: no sound...the delivered 9V wallsocket smps is powering up the DAC is switching on/off. the right button you can switch over OPT/COAX/USB.... but at USB i just got DSD and no sound. i tried to reboot win10 several times but win is writing that this device is not recognized by WIN...

no idea...

bad luck...i thought that this DAc is good for modding but this DAC goes back...

chris

The Xmos usb input chip requires a driver, if you don’t have that, it will not work on a windows computer.

back to my Cm6631A+9023 board

yesterday i got my package (yes its was at a neighbour...)
1 step
change the 3,3V regulator. i have the AP2114H 3.3. so be carefully not to get the HA version= diffeent pin layout !

according to the datasheet i see Cin and Cout is recommenden with 4,7µ F ceramic...bad luck i forgot to order.:rolleyes:
i just have 10µ/25V electrolytic or 4,7µ tantal (for mic5205) as smallest cap at home.

original is a470µ/25V sanwah + i changed to a small 22µF nichicon+ a wima 0,015µF wima fake

i decided to put that in = Cin + Cout..the red wima fake out. on pic i mean the right low corner (old pic)...now its burn in...

1 should i use the 4,7µ tantal insted????
2 is the 5m usb cable a problem and therefore i "must" have a bigger cap on the 5V in (= 3,3V regulator Cin)???

chris

Attachments

• caps at 3_3V regulator.jpg
    caps at 3_3V regulator.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 152

Attachments

• output pin with AP2114H_10µF Cin and Cout.jpg
    output pin with AP2114H_10µF Cin and Cout.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 144
  • input pin with AP2114H_10µF Cin and Cout.jpg
    input pin with AP2114H_10µF Cin and Cout.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 10µF noise at amp dac on 24_192k_highres resolution without adum4160 with AP2114 10µFcaps Cin co.jpg
    10µF noise at amp dac on 24_192k_highres resolution without adum4160 with AP2114 10µFcaps Cin co.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 139
cheap ES9038k2m dac:

thanks to zek.:wave2: and phase....

i tried the v4.59 - on 27.3. i download and installed the driver but no positive feedback..still the same feedback...reboot several times.....
now.....dont ask me why now its working :)
tidal feedback is "Lautsprecher HIFI DSD" and the settings are working fine , e.g. set to 24/192k... just now 3 minutes its playing. how to set the different digital filters i do not know
btw. the support by amazon /perfk (seller) was not realy fine:rolleyes::(..strange conversation...really

after my business weeks/ + holiday (in 2 weeks)i will go ahead with the CM6631A board and then i will start an extra thread about this cheap ES9038 DAC;) ( i do not want to disturb "mark4´s" thread..)

chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.