CM6631A + ES9023 cheap board - modification...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
update.....

Good evening

i am impatient.;):D so i mod my board. i put out the ams1117 and use a origin LD1117..i use instead of the original 470µ sanwa at the output a 22µF 35V nichicon.
pic 1+2 no improvement...same noise...this is what i expected. pic 1 with adum4160, pic 2 without

at the crystals the beads where ready as wrote before: C18, C21 and C23
i use for each 10nF ceramic which i had at home.
pic 3+4+5 with adum 24/48k, without adum 24/48k, without adum 24/192k
much better:)
compared to post 16 + 18

thank you

Attachments

• LD1117 with ADUM4160_output pin.jpg
    LD1117 with ADUM4160_output pin.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 193
  • LD1117 without ADUM4160_output pin.jpg
    LD1117 without ADUM4160_output pin.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 182
  • noise at amp dac on 24_48k_highres resolution with adum4160 with LD1117 and 4,5nF and XO 10nF ca.jpg
    noise at amp dac on 24_48k_highres resolution with adum4160 with LD1117 and 4,5nF and XO 10nF ca.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 185
  • noise at amp dac on 24_48k_highres resolution without adum4160 with LD1117 and 4,5nF and XO 10nF.jpg
    noise at amp dac on 24_48k_highres resolution without adum4160 with LD1117 and 4,5nF and XO 10nF.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 182
  • noise at amp dac on 24_192k_highres resolution without adum4160 with LD1117 and 4,5nF and XO 10n.jpg
    noise at amp dac on 24_192k_highres resolution without adum4160 with LD1117 and 4,5nF and XO 10n.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
BTW. i read the thread about JP +Subbu DAC GB and now i am actually to study the V3 GB and other threads....omg....a lot of information
my conclusio is : a lot of possibilities at Vreg, pin NEG, and CN-CP to try some caps:D. Black gate, polymer...solid alu..etc..

eg:
The polymer caps have such an incredible low ESR that they might cause a resonance circuit when paralleled with small value ceramic caps. I read all this yesterday evening and think polymer caps are very exciting but should be used with attention. Solid polymer caps can not just be used as a replacement in many many cases ! Manufacturers advise to use larger value bypass ceramic caps and explain the whole matter in white papers.
I ordered 220/10 for Vpos/Avcc and 2.2 uF ceramic caps for decoupling Vpos and Vneg just to test.

additionally i found the AVCC cap for the mod´s- i read that its about 100µ up to 470µ fine. the strange thing is that this cap is far away from the 9023 AVCC pin 5. its near the crystal and beside the ATM TC173 24C08N Su-27-D chip. :rolleyes: - see pic - yellow circle
i will try a 100µF at this size

this ATM TC173 24C08N Su-27-D chip is a serial 8k bit EEProm...what for is that?
i am asking because if i want to use aseperate power for the 9023 so i have to cut this trace (before the EEProm) and think about the place where i should "mount" the regulator 3,6 for the 9023. (mybe glue on the phone connector)

chris

Attachments

• CM6631A - AVCC cap.jpg
    CM6631A - AVCC cap.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 95
...modification part 2...

Hi

i am impatient...:D

here is the pic of my next step:

yellow cap is the lucky found in my box - for Aoutl L+R 4,5nF 63V poly?
one cap upside the other cap is other side...no space here

left bottom the nichicon ufg 100µ/25 for the AVCC
left the green is ues muse (green) 10µF 16V bipolar for Vreg pin 6

right nichicon muse ues bipolar 22µf/16V for NEG pin11 and CN+CP pin9-10

jsut short test if its working....oh yes .............after 2 hours the green + yellow monster get better :D:D

chris

Attachments

• 9023 modification variant_1.jpg
    9023 modification variant_1.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
That looks like a Seimens KS polystyrene or maybe polypropylene, very good parts.
The polystyrene take forever to settle in the where the sound stops changing.
Might want to look up “burn in” and see if you think it applies to what you hear, if you haven’t already. Is amusing to see the different opinions at the least, no matter what you think about it.
Glad you found a good combination of parts.

I have stopped at the regulators on these boards, mostly because I didn’t want to hassle with trying to mount a part that didn’t fit and produced heat also.

Last edited:
That looks like a Seimens KS polystyrene or maybe polypropylene, very good parts.
The polystyrene take forever to settle in the where the sound stops changing.
Might want to look up “burn in” and see if you think it applies to what you hear, if you haven’t already. Is amusing to see the different opinions at the least, no matter what you think about it.
Glad you found a good combination of parts.

I have stopped at the regulators on these boards, mostly because I didn’t want to hassle with trying to mount a part that didn’t fit and produced heat also.

hi phase
no...this yellow caps are with the lable "philips"...(4530 F63 443 S2 KS)bad picture...sorry
better pic....40pcs NOS PHILIPS KS443 8250pF 8.2nF 63V 1% STYROFLEX HI-END POLYSTYRENE CAPS! | eBay

this caps are not in use since 10-15years...so i will see. the other boards i will use the recommended Wima FKp2 4,5nF.

th other caps for Vreg, NEG and CN+CP i do not have any kind of the types as written in the threads what i read...so i try what i have at home and i know the green muse well. at my YJ tpa3255 boards i try this and i am always happy with the sound

regulator:
actually i plan to build 1 board with just "3,3V" low noise regulator. i look for the AP2114 because its cheap and low noise and has the same pin config.

my target is to keep the alu case...so this version with the yellow caps is not aim this...:D

soundcheck:
the frist minutes i was disapointed because the sound was strange, nearly everything comes from mid...no really soundstage but i know this from new caps and a sepcially from the muse ues...during reading and music was running in the background it was a small "burn in". i stopped reading threads and concentrate on listening....after 2,5hours ...it was a noticable big change in sound....its sounds "normal"...and the muse are start to glance.

chris

pop noise....

Hi

as i try yesterday evening som short sound session and play around with the setting With/without ADUM4160 i always have a pop on/off noise at connect/disconnect the usb port to latpop/adum4160.

at ES9023 at pin 15 there was a 1,5µF caps(red wima) and i try a 4,7µ cap to exeed the time. pop off noise is gone but the pop on is still "loud".
terrible is the situation if a have to reboot the laptop and the on off pop is really "scary" noteable

did i miss intepret the working of the Mute pin?:confused:
or is the input caps(decoupling) after the usb too big...it is actually a 470µF cap?

BTW... i have to use a 5m usb cable because my sitting position is about 3m away and a 3m usb cable is like a catanery :D

chris

...2nd board arrieved..

Hi

i got my 2nd board...on the pic you can see a different version.

my question is:

should i change this black crystals with the other Silver crystal which i still have from my damaged board for fair comparision? which are better?

thx
chris

Attachments

• CM6631A_packed_2.jpg
    CM6631A_packed_2.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 153
...sound check..

Hi

after the last mod i let the DAC "burn in".i have a separate room so i get about 30 hours since my last mod.

to make long short...
yeah!! this DAC sounds realy fine now!!!:cheerful::cheerful:
i compared with my not mod D50 (-4dB...i read that in the forum) and with 24/192k setup. Tidal master recordings.
the sound is smooth and no nervous or "crying" sound comes out. i mean a had always 8 volume step between D50(louder) and the "cheeky" ES9023. but now its much more quiet and the difference is 4 volume steps. relaxing lay back sound comes aout...fine..:)...yes the sound stage is not as deep as with the D50 but the rhythm and the tempo is really "well done"

i have to update with the better regulator 3,3 + the Mic5205...etc.

chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.