freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

Looking at your list of supported filter types, one thing I strongly suggest is making something like the MiniDSP "advanced biquiad" functionality - the user can input the five biquad coefficients as real numbers. This makes it possible to make other kinds of filters, like higpass-notch, and lowpass-notch, or anything that can be realized with a biquad.

That is a very good suggestion. I will definitely consider it.

The other thing to consider, based on my experience with the miniDSP interface, was that there were too few biquad stages available on the inputs before stages that were dedicated to crossover filters. The input filters are used for global EQ and you want them applied to all outputs without having to duplicate each filter in the output filter chain.

Absolutely. Usability is the main focus of dspControl.

Have you built and measured a prototype for S/N, etc? Apart from the main PCB, what other PCBs will be available (e.g. power supply) and will there be a case/chassis available?

Now I can give some values:
THD DAC: -103dB @ 1kHz, 0dBfs, fs=48kHz
THD ADC: -101dB @ 1kHz, 0dBfs, fs=48kHz
Latency: 1.125ms (talkthrough ADC->DSP->DAC)

There are currently three input/output boards planned. These boards should cover most cases e.g. active loudspeakers, DSP-powered preamp or loudspeaker management.
Of course you can make your on connector configuration. The boards are only there to make life easier.
Please take a look at the kickstarter page for details of the boards.

Best,
Raphael

Raphael, can you please add rk.lib to github?

Attachments

• missing rk.PNG
    missing rk.PNG
    162.1 KB · Views: 630
The last days we had a discussion in the German development group about Add-On boards to make connection easier. We came up with the following configurations:

For an active loudspeaker:
1x XLR Analog in
1x RCA Analog in
1x TOSlink in (for S/P-DIF via glassfiber)
1x RCA Digital in (for S/P-DIF via coaxial cable)
1x RCA Digital out (connect a subwoofer)
1x XLR Analog Out (connect a subwoofer)
1x USB
Volume pot

For a Pre-amp / 7.1-management:
8x XLR Analog Out, unbalanced (RCA) is possible too
8x RCA Analog In
8x XLR Analog In
4x RCA Digital In (for S/P-DIF via Cinch)
4x TOSlink Digital In ((for S/P-DIF via LWL)
1x USB in
All digital inputs are up for multiplexing.

Loudspeaker management:
8x XLR Analog Out
4x XLR Analog In, two ADCs parallel for a much better SNR
1x TOSlink in
1x TOSlink out
1x XLR Digital In AES/EBU
1x XLR Digital Out AES/EBU
1x USB
All TOSlink can be used with ADAT or S/P-DIF.

These configurations are focussing mostly on home hifi and home cinemas.
Schematics will be available soon, but there is nothing fancy on these boards. Jay did already an excellent job showing possible connection options!
If you need your own specific configuration you can still do that with the current freeDSP-aurora design without any of these add-ons. They will only be designed to make life easier.
For those who are curious: I hope to manage it to have everything on github next week. Still working hard for the final release!

Last edited:
Exciting news!
The feature you all have been waiting for has now been added to dspControl:
FIR filters.

You design your FIR filter with e.g. rePhase and import it then to freeDSP-Aurora. I produced a little demo video about that. The demo shows a 4-way loudspeaker with 4096 taps per channel.

Next week I'll upload the source codes to github.

Have fun!

Raphael

Hi! I'm a new person in digital sounds. I design boombox this freeDSP.I don't have a freeDSP board, for experiments'.(only in plan) Is it possible to input digital sound direct to freeDSP? I plan to use USB or SD card, this flac. mp3. or bluetooth.USB/sd /bluetooth >freeDSP>bi-amp> speaker.
I think for this used USB to I2C bridge module. If I am wrong, what i need for this.
Thanks in advance for the answer.