freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

Btw. audverion/freeDSP Infinitas board has a Lattice FPGA with the headers which could be used for TDM <-> I2S/LJ conversion:

freeDSP-Infinitas from auverdion on Tindie

Documentation with schematics:
freeDSP-INFINITAS/GettingStarted.pdf at master * freeDSP/freeDSP-INFINITAS * GitHub

Just leave the other chips (ADAU1452 and XMOS) unpopulated, I think the FPGA is already configured for TDM/I2S conversion but the TDM audio signals maybe are not routed to any headers. Not a big change to do as you don't need the I2C pins for anything.

@mhelin, many thanks for helpful info. This is definitely on the fringe of my main field of competence, so that will have to change then. Either that, or someone working with Aurora has the same need for multichannel Digitial out so that an extension board could be made. I see it as a viable "box opener" for this product. I also looked into AD support pages and they have one chip that seemingly (from what I understand) is capable of this conversion. I am going to be a little patient and observe if something comes up. Anyone may contact me with their interest.

To demonstrate my lack of knowledge:

1. With "Not a big change to do" do you indicate a HW change or a program logic change?
2. Is this board made by the same team that made Aurora? If so, maybe @dspverden has a comment? Could this become a standard extension board for Aurora for the said purpose?

Thanks for your patience!

@dspverden

Do you happen to have documentation listing which inputs are which in SigmaStudio? I've been experimenting trying to rewire inputs not available to select in the WebApp, but haven't been having much luck. Looking at the SigmaStudio project we have:

Input ADC (Pretty obvious what this is)
Input UAC2 (Not so obvious... USB?)
Input ESP32 (ESP32 doesn't have audio traces?)
Input Expansion (Pretty vague, is this ADAT?)
AsrcIn1 (Sample rate converters?)

Also, after re-wiring inputs I'm encountering a strange issue where all outputs I haven't hard-wired (i.e. still connected to input selection blocks) are ringing full scale at Nyquist frequency. Is this some kind of sample conversion issue? See attached image (image) for my simple hard-wiring mod:

X8YLH7WuS7AAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Last edited:
Hi,

inputs are as follows:
Input ADC is ADC, of course
Input UAC2 is USB. UAC2 = USB Audio Class 2, actually this is the input from the XMOS, if you want to receive ADAT via the XMOS, then this is the ADAT input
Input ESP32: The ESP32 is connected to the DSP via i2s or tdm. This opens the door for implement a streaming client on the ESP.
Input Expansion: This is connected to the expansion header.
AsrcIn1 is the input form the SPDIF. The SPDIF is routed on an internal sample rate converter to handle sync issues.
Most of these connections you can find in the schematics.

Regarding the second issue: This is hard to say. If you want you can upload your SigmaStudio project and I can have a look.

Raphael

Hi,
Regarding the second issue: This is hard to say. If you want you can upload your SigmaStudio project and I can have a look.

Raphael

Interesting that the ESP32 and FreeDSP Expansion inputs are shown as 8 channel. In the schematics they’re notated with I2S rather than TDM. I assume this means there are plans to have the option to run higher speed TDM8 on these traces? Also UAC2 being XMOS input (i.e. both USB and ADAT) makes a lot of sense, silly of me not to realize that.

I’ve not worked with SigmaStudio before and am still learning how Aurora is integrated, so currently my SigmaStudio "project" just consists of me changing around the routing on the stock 8 Channel Plugin blindly in the hopes that something works. It might be more helpful to just show you what I’m working towards.

My end goal is a surround sound DSP setup with the following configuration:

Final System Design - Album on Imgur

As i guess it may be a year before i can get a addon board, im looking more into making a basic diy connections to get signals in and out of the dsp.

What is the bare minimum components needed for optical and coaxial spdif inputs and outputs?

Are 2 47k ohm resistors needed for the rotary encoder?

For making a basic diy breakout with no multiplexing.

Looking at the addon A diagram, I am not sure. :/

Hi,

regarding the addons I can say nothing. The current crisis is corrupting everything. Actually a new batch of DSPs should have arrived already two weeks ago but they are still not ready for shipping because two components are not delivered to the assembler yet. So it is quite impossible to make any guess atm. Sorry.
The panels are a third party design. I am not involved in that.
The resistors and caps on XLR are RFI-filter. On addon B the IC is a multiplexer for switching between SPDIF inputs. On addon C there is a receiver for AES3.

Can you share who the third party is that's designing the add ons? I'd like to ask them to make a custom add on panel for me that's appropriate for a speaker. Thanks.

Can you share who the third party is that's designing the add ons? I'd like to ask them to make a custom add on panel for me that's appropriate for a speaker. Thanks.

Well I did the design of all addon PCBs so far. I only outsource the manufacturing.
But I can tell you that currently I have now time for custom designs. Sorry.

Regarding the pot: I used a 10k pot from Alps with volume taper for testing.

Raphael

As far as i understood from available documentation, XMOS chip supports several TDM channels.

Do you think is it possible to interface ADC/DAC to XMOS chip using dedicated TDM channels,then use additional TDM channels to interface XMOS chip to DSP?

Someone may ask why? The reason is of course to reduce latency from I/O to USB and may be create virtual routes to process audio

Github seems to have a problem with respect to downloading manuals, with the error message "cannot retrieve latest commit at this time" for branch master in freeDSP-aurora/DOCUMENTATION. Please advise.

Checked it. Everything ist working fine on GitHub. Just click on "Clone or download".

AddOnC: I am currently busy with testing the AES3 io and making the GUI nice for it. Actually there is a problem with the AES3 that I don't understand yet: When I make a loopback with a cable it works, but when I connect it to the AES3 input of a DCX2496 the DCX does not accept the AES3 stream.

Raphael