Strange hash from TE7022 USB>I2S converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I've been using TE7022 based USB>I2S converter as I2S source for my DCX2496 (remapped the SRC for slave-slave operation) and just recently noticed that there is low level hash coming from the speakers but only when the source sample rate is set to 96kHz. No hash is present with either 44,1kHz or 48kHz. The buzzing hash appears after a second or so upon connecting the USB cable and seems to sweep from low frequency in about half a second. This leads me to suspect that it's some kind of intermodulation from clocks as DCX2496's internal clock is also 96kHz.

The strange thing is that the hash is present even when DCX2496 is configured for analog input, hence I suspect the chip pollutes the power somehow. I also tried a USB isolation board, nothing changed, so the noise must be coming from TE072 itself and not from computer.

My plan is to probe the TE7022's power lines and I2S clock with a scope but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 10_Feb_2019_20_23_53.jpg
    10_Feb_2019_20_23_53.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 95
Yes, that makes sense! I was wondering why it locks up every time I plug in any SMPS in the vicinity.
By energize TE7022 you mean connect only ground? It is USB powered by design, it's exactly this model:
Coaxial I2S TE7022
Assembly USB To SPDIF Coaxial I2S TE7022 Chip DAC Supports 24 bit 96K Sampling-in DAC from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Either way I suspect this adapter is due for a replacement, are there any consensus for what is "cheap and reliable"? A quick search on Aliexpress returned these as candidates:
SITIME crystal XU208 XMOS
Lusya Upgrade SITIME crystal XU208 XMOS USB digital audio interface U8 upgrade asynchronous amanero module for Decoders C6 006-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
CM6631A
HIFI CM6631A Digital interface 24Bit 192K 384K ASIO Driver Sound Card USB to I2S / SPDIF Output DAC Decoder -in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
And this type, although it's not as compact and I'd probably have to desolder the DAC:
SA9023+ES9023
SA9023+ES9023 USB DAC External Decoder Sound Card Amplifier Headphone Amplifier USB to SPDIF I2S Coaxial 24Bit 96K-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.